Night at the movies - Equilibrium

Supreme Cmdr

I think Christian Bale is one of the most underated actors.

Anyway, I went in to see this movie (being a sci-fi buff and all) not expecting much. In fact, I never saw any TV marketing for it. The first itme I knew about it, was when I saw the poster for it. I never even saw a trailer.

Anyway, boy was I surprised. In fact, I'll probably go see it again.

Yes, the background story is rubbish - but you can look past that once you see the character acting and the amazing fight sequences.

I hope it does well

9/10

[ 12-07-2002, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 5 months later...
Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Ah.. ha..

Found that thread you were talking about. Now i know why you remembered it.

I 100% totally agree. Unfortunately the movie only made 1.9 million in the US. Obviously do to the complete and total Lack of *ANY* Marketing by Dimension Films. Which is really to bad. ITs a great movie.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

It just got released on DVD/VHS. Its an absolutely STUNNING Scifi action movie starring Christian Bale.

Some of the best Fight Scenes i have ever seen. Very origional Take on Martial Arts. Very cool plot about a post WW3 Society that has outlawed Emmotions in order to prevent war. The governement Controls the people by Administering daily doses of Emmotion killing Drugs.

In this Movie Bale is a Freaking Killing Machine. IMHO this movie flat out BodySlams Matrix Reloaded. Fantastic acting and action. Bale should have played Neo hands down. Not that this movie is a Matrix rip off, i could just see Bale doing Neo really easily.

I really Wish i had seen this at the Theater when it came out last December.

5 Star Movie.

(deleted the other thread)

I havent seen this film yet but I read about it in Cinescape magazine when it was in production. I think I will heretofore refer to Dimension as the studio where films go to die. I posted on the Dimension film "Below" as being one the best suspense horror films of last year and it too died at the box office. They make these high quality films and then let them spoil on the vine and we get innundated with marketing for stinkers like "Ghost Ship" and the like. Go figure.

• 4 weeks later...

Simply ASTOUNDING! Please rent or buy this movie! The fight scenes were utterly spectacular and the back story , while hard to swallow, isn't rubbish Bro. Smart. This was simply one of the best sci-fi actioners I have seen in years. Don't pay attention to the poor reviews. There are at least two fight scenes I guarantee you will be discussing at the water cooler the next day. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, SEE

EQUILLIBRIUM! The Clerics rule!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I think Christian Bale is one of the most underated actors.

Anyway, I went in to see this movie (being a sci-fi buff and all) not expecting much. In fact, I never saw any TV marketing for it. The first itme I knew about it, was when I saw the poster for it. I never even saw a trailer.

Anyway, boy was I surprised. In fact, I'll probably go see it again.

Yes, the
is rubbish - but you can look past that once you see the character acting and the
amazing
fight sequences.

I hope it does well

9/10

Hmmmm, never heard of that movie. Damn no background story that sucks. There's nothing like finding a movie that has it all . Anyway, I'll check the movie out if I can find it looks very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

just saw it. great movie. i understand what you meant about the acting. every scene had in Bale. there weren't too many action sequences, or they weren't too long, at least for the first hour and fifteen minutes of the movie. that was about his change over, so to speak. this fella is good.

i liked the story, and how it showed his change. i thought the part with the dog was a cool one.

one last thing though. how'd he get the guns into the testing room? or they didn't think he could fight out of that? and the flat line, i didnt get it...

bale is cool!

i like that...Cleric.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

one last thing though. how'd he get the guns into the testing room? or they didn't think he could fight out of that? and the flat line, i didnt get it...

you can tell he was setting up everything from the point he stopped the dosage.

the guns he had probably where there in case he got caught probably and they thought he'd only bring his katana.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

I havent seen this film yet but I read about it in Cinescape magazine when it was in production. I think I will heretofore refer to Dimension as the studio where films go to die. I posted on the Dimension film "Below" as being one the best suspense horror films of last year and it too died at the box office. They make these high quality films and then let them spoil on the vine and we get innundated with marketing for stinkers like "Ghost Ship" and the like. Go figure.

Speaking of "Below"... are you serious in calling that one of the best suspense horror fliks of all time?

i dont really think he had the intention to set things up. but a little idea developed. like the switching of the gun. where he is trying to lead some offenders to safety in one of the raids, but runs right into Brandt.

right....the flat line on the polygraph...why? think ill watch it again, but i dont get that part heh. also who was the guy he left living in the room? his accomplice from when he discovered the hideout of the underground in that classroom?

I think the polygraph was showing his mental conflict and situation at the moment. Obviously when they had him grilled on the polygraph chair he had alot going on in his mind. But when it flatlined he had the calm cool demeanor of resolution...which was premptive to him kickin butt. I dont think he was upset because they tricked him out of his katana obviously since he knew he still had weapons. I bet it was finding out his good pal head cleric was actually the puppetmaster and knew about him all along.

i was thinking along those lines. i guess its correct because the last thing he says is "no, not without incident" blam blam blam heh.

this is a movie i will get on dvd. and i dont get much. im sorry there wont be another one like it, that deals with these gramaton clerics. there fairly bad fellas.

i cant believe they didnt market the movie, whatd they do make it for fun?

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

i cant believe they didnt market the movie, whatd they do make it for fun?

Yeah, makes ya wonder about that. That's why I have no sympathy for the movie execs when they cry poverty that P2P dloading is killing their industry. No I don't think so it's more like bone head decisions like the Equilibrium example. Reminds me of the good ol' shakespear phrase "The fault lies not in our stars but in ourselves."

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

I agree totally, And Aramike, I said Below was one of the best suspense fliks last year, not of all time. Big Difference dont you think?

My bad ... even so, I thought the movie was terrible. Suspense requires an unpredictable plot, and I thought it was way too predictable. Kinda bored me.

• 5 weeks later...

Well this is better late than never but I just saw the movie tonight on Pay Per View and all I can say is "KICK ASS". You know I enjoyed it and I actually think it's better and more believable than the MATRIX becuase the MATRIX story line would have you believe that the machine was using humans to power it bolderdash is all I say it would take huge amounts of energy to keep the humans alive than the power output the maching would recieve in return. However, the events in Equilibrium can happen that's what makes it so scary to contemplate. Actually, it is happening to a small extent now alot of you don't realize it. Don't eat this, Don't eat that, don't smoke, don't drink do as we say and you will live well and be happy blah blah blah. Well you get the idea. Anyway this movie definitely is smack outa of Orwells universe and that's not a bad thing. I second SC's score 9/10 since it isn't 100% perfect but hey what is.

Here's a little easter egg I discovered while watching Equilibrium a second time. The gun flash is the same shape as the cleric symbol pictured under the gun shot pic. what do you think?

eq3.jpg

This scene is when he was caught with the puppy in his trunk. It's the only time I've seen it so I know it was deliberate.