The Cell

I heard one glowing review saying it's the greatest thing since toasted bread and I read another one that said it sucked. The one that said it sucked is just some local newspaper that gives good movies bad reviews and bad movies good reviews, just like 90% of critics. But I'm gonna see it tonight or tomorrow night. The visuals look amazing.

I don't really want to say anything about the movie since it's really to see it not knowing anything and to walk in with an unbiased opinion. Don't take this as an endourcement that I think this is the best thing since sliced bread. However, I think everyone (who's in to this type of flick) should see the movie at least once since it's very unlike anything else out right now, and for some people this will be a "really great movie".

I will say that I will be watching for anything this first time director does next.

I'd say that it looks cool, but my opinion on movies is about as worthy as my opinion on cars. Not to mention I make up the 1/4th of the population that enjoyed the Wing Commander movie... smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

I didn't think Wing Commander was that bad either, Parias. So I guess I'm in your 1/4 of the population liking it! smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr ShoHashi

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, PreComm Crew, StarStation New Frontier

ICV Aries

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

"Attack With Effectiveness"

Guest aramike01

Wing Commander revisited, hehe.

Actually, I'm in the 1/4 too. I thought the story was crap but the movie was entertaining.

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

I rented the WC movie on several occations, since there's no other space combat movie that can match it, IMHO. but story is based on a game (no further explanation needed) and the kilrathi were screwed up garbage-bag costumes... but other than that I thought the movie kicked ass! smile.gif

as for The Cell, I'm planning on watching that sometime this week if I somehow find the time.

------------------

Cmdr. Hidama Hasaki

GCV Kurai

1st Squadron, SIN Wing

Stationed, Starstation Wrath

you might as well stay and fight, because if you run, you will only die tired

ICQ 28215391, GMT-5

=Wraith Fleet=

May I suggest busting out a copy of The Last Starfighter? That makes for a nice space-combat cheese fix... or if your feeling really daring find a copy of Battle Beyond the Stars =)

"One Gunstar against the entire armada? It'll be a slaughter!"

"That's the spirit!!"

"NO! *MY* slaughter!"

I thought the movie Wing Commander was an entertaining sort of movie, however, after living through all of the WC PC games, starting with Wing Commander (#1), all the add-ons and subsequent games through WC Prophecy Secret Ops, I was left a little flat. Freddie P. was okay, but I would have preferred the guy who played "Catscratch" in WC IV as the lead. Liked the lady cast as "Angel", though! Didn't Prince Thraka give her a Kilrathi abdominal salute 5-6 years ago?

Back to "The Cell". Can I take my 14 year old son with me without exposing him to too much sexual imagery? So wierd, I don't have too much trouble having him watch people get stabbed, shot, or fragged, but throw in some "nekkid" ladies and I feel it's inappropriate for my youthful progeny. Go figure, right?

------------------

Cmdr Doc Hoover

GCV JOHN PAUL JONES

"I will not fear death on the field of battle, for life is

but a dream from which we all must wake"

Guest justinkramer

thanatos, I can't say whether it'll be appropriate for your son or not (I watched all kinds of stuff when I was 14), but the movie is definitely intense. There's a little nudity and some gore, but those aren't what make the movie intense. The whole thing just has a twisted, gut-wrenching quality to it. That's not a bad thing, though, if you can handle it. Although it has flaws, the movie is definitely worth seeing. The visuals are incredible. The director is Indian (Hindu not American) and its his first movie. Can't wait to see what he does next.

-Justin

Thanatos, don't worry about exposing your kid to that stuff, at 14 years he's probably seen a great deal of nudity, more than a single movie can possibly offer.

These days, kids are exposed to things much earlier, wether their parents want them to be or not.

that's just my opinion, but I got the inside scoop, having been 14 just 3 years ago wink.gif

Hell, my sis isn't even 10 yet and she's seen "Ghost in the Shell" more times than I can count!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

I just got back from The Cell and what an incredible film. I've never seen anything like it. I've always been obsessed with cinematography and this film is like a dream come true. A sick, twisted dream but whatever. Everyone should see this film.

------------------

Cmdr. Pyro Penance

Spectre Fleet

ICV- Chrono

"Don't hate me because I'm different than you, hate me because I'm better than you."

ANOTHER VIEW

Saw the movie last evening, and after the glowing reviews the film has received, I must say I was disappointed. If you plan on watching the movie read no further.

The basic premise is taken from an earlier and more entertaining flick, Dreamscape, with Dennis Quaid and Kate Capshaw. The plot of The Cell is fragmented and some of the dialogue seems out of place, as if the rest of the story ended up on the editing floor (eg. the BIG deal the F.B.I. agent made about abused kids being able to transcend their abuse,...AND.....?).

I know it's Hollywood, not real life, but it portrays itself as serious, and has so many reality flaws:

-serial killers who are schizoprenic would rarely if ever commit such organized crimes and death rituals displayed in the movie.

-serial killers don't have pets; they are sociopathic, remember.

-individuals in deep coma without any hope of recovery don't have any dream state or conscious thoughts. To diagnose this condition would require an EEG showing disorganized, low amplitude brain activity and theta waves production.

-dream states don't need to follow natural law, however, the movie rarely diverged from it in the "mind" scenes.

-the implanted metal rings on the back of the serial killer would have become infected in a few weeks, causing them to fall out or cause lethal sepsis from cutaneous necrosis.

-anyone dressing like Jennifer Lopez at a professional/scientific center would be asked to dress a bit less provocatively. Nice to look at though.

Additional random observations:

-what's with the main character smoking marijuana to relax after a tough day at work? Aren't we as a society spending billions to educate and keep kids off hooch?

-the whole movie seemed to be a continuous series of Jennifer Lopez glamour shots. She is a beautiful woman, but the movie needs something more.

-the old premise "die in your dreams-die in real-life" is just too worn out to keep popping up in any movie.

-if law enforcement had done their job in the first place, they would have noticed the company name on that unique stainless steel table at the serial killer's house, and tracked down its origin so the death of the killer would have been without consequence.

-the cinematography was gorgeous. Too bad there wasn't a movie to go along with the art work.

-doesn't come close to the quality of the movie "Gladiator". About on par with MI:2.

BOTTOM LINE: OVERALL: 2 stars out of 4

ACTING : 1 star out of 4

CINEMATOGRAPHY: 4 stars out of 4

ONLY MEMORABLE LINE: "My world, my rules."

THE CELL should have been named JENNIFER LOPEZ DOES MILLENNIUM/MATRIX. Where's Neo and Frank Black?

That's my two pence; remember I liked the WC movie if you want to keep it in perspective.

Doc Hoover

Forensic Pathologist and Film Critic

[This message has been edited by thanatos (edited 08-23-2000).]

Your looking at it as if it were to be a documentary not a film. And your over critiquing elements that aren't important. Oh no, the cops arenÔÇÖt solving this fast enough! We should write New Line Cinema and have then beef up their film detectives. If the film was about how we need better detectives then maybe that would be a good point but itÔÇÖs not. So what if the rings would cause infection and bla bla bla, that's not the point. The point is that this mans life was so screwed up that he would practically rip himself to pieces to escape his life. People who have especially hard lives use pain to forget about their problems. The film plays out all the stories very well and that thing about a child being able to transcend their abuse, well, if you analyzed the film at all then you see that the man stills sees himself as a child (the boy in the killers mind). Still being a child he isn't strong enough to overcome the abuse he took. So what if the character is smoking pot?! The movie isn't billed as a family film and it is rated R.

Calling it on par with M:I 2 is just inexcusable. But donÔÇÖt take my word for it, just ask the most respected and revered critic in the industry, Roger Ebert. http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/cell18f.html

Bottom line: 4 out of 4 stars

Acting: 3 out of 4

Cinematography: 4 out of 4 (hey at least we agreed on one thing)

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 08-24-2000).]

Guest aramike01

Whoa, Pyro...careful with not your opinions, but the way you express them. In that light, I've removed the first two lines of your post, and a few other poorly, and distastefully expressed opinions.

Personally, I haven't seen the movie but I don't pay too much attention to any critic. They give their opinions, that's their job. Everyone else is entitled to their own opinion, regardless of what it's based upon.

My question is: why does it bother you so much that someone has a different opinion? Just relax, and if you want, discuss with a measure of tact. That's how this board works, if you haven't noticed.

-Mike

PS- Btw, this board is about Battlecruiser, not films, so if you really feel the need to debate, take it outside please.

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 08-24-2000).]

heh, aramike beat me to it. Pyro, keep it down a bit. Though the board is primarily about Battleceuiser, this particular forum runs the gamut of discussions as long as they are civil and alleviate boredom.

Anyway, am gonna go see it this weekend (now that hurricane Debby is a has-been) and if either one of you is wrong, am gonna bury yer! biggrin.gif

Whoa Pyro, take it easy (and all I saw was the edited version).

Sorry to set you off. My post is "Another View", and is my opinion. Please don't take it so personal. Never has a movie been reviewed to universal praise, just as we don't all like the same cars (Ford or Chevy?), hair color in the opposite gender (blond or brunette), or lunch "meats" (Spam or Treat). Some movies I really enjoyed have been soundly critized as poor, but it didn't make the movie any less enjoyable for me, just as I don't always think acclaimed movies are deserving of their praise.

Your comments revolve around psychological observations concerning abused people; is this indicative of your personal or professional expertise in psychology, or are you re-iterating our present popular societal psycho-babble. The value of the psychology illustrated in The Cell is something that you might stress to illustrate the wrongness of my opinion, or at least we could have had an intelligent discussion around this point. Your reply seems more personal, and personal attacks won't go far here on this board.

From the viewpoint of forensic accuracy, as seen through the eyes of this board-certified forensic pathologist, the movie was a zero. I know my opinion is discordant with the others posted on this board, but wanted to post a different view as I saw the film. If you really enjoyed the film, the experience for you was a positive one, and you should discount my opinion. If I have insulted you on a personal level, I am truly sorry.

As this is BC forum, I'll not waste anymore of the SC's money on my opinions of this flick. In a year it will be only a shadow memory anyway. And by the way: can't wait for BCM.

Doc Hoover

Forensic Pathologist and critized film critic

[This message has been edited by thanatos (edited 08-24-2000).]

Look at the bright side guys, at least we're not doing 3dfx vs Nvidia smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

Good point Parias,

No movie , great, good, or bad, can compare with what's really important in life,

.....like your choice of video card!

Commander Doc Hoover

GCV JOHN PAUL JONES

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion,....."

Roy Batty, Replicant

Sorry if I seemed angery. I deal with people all the time that won't except any one elses opinions and it drives me nuts. I guess I just got really defensive. Anyway, sorry. Funny thing is, I enjoyed the Wing Commander movie too.