Star Trek X Script Reviewed...

Korono Lakeela

Hmmm..

http://www.movieheadlines.net/default.php3?reviewid=138

Well, we are finally going to get a little insight into the culture of the Romulans....one of the last more or less unexplored avenues in Trek drama...

Time to vote on the Rick "I can't write SCI-FI" Berman F*ck up the Romulans Scale...VOTE NOW!!!

Will he make the Romulans....

1...shoddy

2...cruddy

3...crappy

4...wank

5...lame

6...stupid

7...worthless

8...sh*tty

9...Unwatchable

10..Or Just Down Right BAD!!

or

11...Just like Humans in every respect (like most Trek Aliens..you know..like the Cardassians, Bajorans..and every race encountered in Voyager...except that Species XXX jobbie), but they have pointy ears!

I am sorry, but as far as I am concerned....Majel and him did a very good job at killing Trek for every intellegent human being out there....it is his and her damned money machine and you really can't get too much quality out of a freak'in money machine....."why doesn't my burger look like the picture mom?"

......call a Necromancer....we need Gene....Gene...rise from the dead Gene....I am sure that even a bloated and rotted (yes, yes, I know he was cremated...but that image is much cooler than a pickle jar full of ashes...even though that is kinda funny) Roddenbary can churn out more quality on the back of a napkin than Berman and his entire writing staff could produce in a half a dozen leap years.

And my vote.....is 4......just plain wank

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: Korono Lakeela ]

I have to agree.

Instead of Berman making great movies, he ends up with a glorified 2 hour episode. If they were going to do that, they should have just kept it on television.

But you know what they say about the even numbered Trek Movies.....

Are there really nine out there? I know I've seen them all but I was under the impression that there had only been 5. Let's see if I can name or at least describe them all:

1. Motion Picture/VGER (Love the Klingon scenes at the beginning, the rest was. . . .)

2. Wrath of Khan (Best one of all)

3. In Search of Spock

4. Voyage Home/Save the Whales

5. Final Frontier (I actually had to look this one up!)

6. Undiscovered Country

7. Generations

8. First Contact

9. Insurrection

Sad, so very sad. These films..err flicks, have had so little impact on me (other than Wrath of Khan) that I had to struggle just to remember what they were about. I've also realized that whenever I run across a Voyager/DS9/TNG show on the TV, I quickly continue looking for something to watch so I am not once again swallowed whole by the disappointment that Star Trek has become.

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

I read somewhere that a new Star Trek series is being planned. Supposedly, it takes place in the pre-Original Series years, when the Federation was still young. Anyone else hear about that?

Yeah I heard about it when they had 3 ideas for a new trek series and they grabbed a test audiance out of some malls and showed them conceptual art and a little promo for each proposed series and the prequal series got the best response (wow that was a long sentance...). The two other ideas involved a series based on cadets entering into the accademy (think 90210 meets Star Trek) and another involving an elite force of Federation troops that go AWAL and fly around in their own star ship getting mixed up in different adventures (that was the series I was hoping would get the green).

I haven't watched Star Trek in about 5 years (haven't seen a single 6 of 9 episode...), did Voyager ever get any good like DS-9 apparently did towards the end? I mean ST: Elite Force is a pretty kickin' game, is that any indication of the show?

---Edit

Thanks Korono...

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: Vorpal ]

At first IMO Voyager was not to bad, but the past 2 seasons, have gone down a whole lot IMO. Same thing happens, it is quite predictible. Nothing really new, just the same old stuff regurgitated(spelling?) back at you. Also methinks there are a whole lotta errors, conflicting ideas/technology, and a whole lotta CHEESE. For example, Voyager must have gone through 30 or so shuttles in the past few seasons where do they get them, etc.?

Here is how almost each Voyager episode goes: A lesser alien race with weak ships beats the snot out of voyager. Voyager comes up with some plan to beat/overcome the WEAKER ship/race. Voyager faced the borg quite easily about 2 seasons ago (I think) but now even a shuttle can seem to dissable them in 2 (give or take) shots. Voyager just dosen't have the space battles that DS9 did.

quote:

Originally posted by LordDavid:

Voyager just dosen't have the space battles that DS9 did.

Thats not really fair voyager doesn't really have the amount of ships that were available to DS9 at the time but even then I was dissapointed with the final ending on DS9 it seemed like it was rushed. I'm not going to defend voyager either though as the series never really appealed to me I will watch the last episode(s) just to see if they get home but other than that the only redeming feature is Seven of Nine.....

Originaly posted by Emmett.hendrick "I will watch the last episode(s) just to see if they get home but other than that the only redeming feature is Seven of Nine....."

LOL

While on the topic, I thought I'd educate you all with a bit of trivia. The new ST series is called Star Trek: Enterprise (Working title). As for the prequel... I'm not sure if thats the one or not since I havn't heard any plot rumour as of yet. If it is, I wonder what the Klingons will look like (Remember that "crossover" DS9 episode)? Next, the new ST movie sounds a LOT like the long-cancelled Interplay adventure game Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury. The premise was awesome and it had all the original ST cast voices. According to the dev team members, the game was less than a month from gold and merely undergoing the last bit of polishing when the project was canned.

• 2 weeks later...

The majority of Star Trek scripts have always been poor. Most of them just recycled old cliches.

The original series only had a few really good episodes out of the 78 that were written (or was it 79?). Here is a list of them with the writer's name in brackets:

The Cage (Gene Roddenberry)

Where No Man Has Gone Before (Samuel A. Peeples)

Balance of Terror (Paul Schneider)

The Managerie (Gene Roddenberry)

Errand of Mercy (Gene L. Coon)

Amok Time (Theodore Sturgeon)

The Changeling (John Meredyth Lucas)

City On The Edge Of Forever (Harlan Ellison)

Ellison's was the best of them all.

Star Trek: TNG had some good ones as well, but I can't remember all of their names. Here are the ones that I do remember:

Encounter at Farpoint (Gene Roddenberry, DC Fontana)

The Big Goodbye (Tracy Torme)

Angel One (Patrick Barry)

Coming Of Age (Sandy Fries)

Symbiosis (Robert Lewin, Richard Manning, Hans Beimler)

Conspiracy (Tracy Torme)

Elementary, Dear Data (Brian Alan Lane)

The Measure Of A Man (Melinda M. Snodgrass)

The Dauphin (Scott Rubenstein, Leonard Mlodinow)

Q Who? (Maurice Hurley)

The Best of Both Worlds (Michael Piller)

All Good Things...(Brannon Braga, Ronald D. Moore)

I could write more lists, but then I would be here all day.

Trek is fun. Leave it alone. And dont start on Voyager or you'll have Hamblin to contend with.

Scott Bakula? Dear god, it's a Quantum Leap backwards for the genre.

I must admit that most of the Star trek scripts were not very good, but after the 2nd season I think, gene lost control and the scripts were written by other writers and he had no say in them.

My favorite has and always will be the trouble with Tribbles, I enjoyed it, it was just good fun!! But I am a trek fan, never missed an episode when I was a kid, never missed TNG, never missed DS9 until the last season, because it went way astray as far as I'm concerned, and have never missed a Voyager episode, I am a Trekky from WAY back.

I look forward to seeing Scott Bakula try his hand at being the captain, I liked Quantum Leap a lot, so I look forward to seeing him put those abilities into a new Star Trek!!

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

My favorite has and always will be the trouble with Tribbles, I enjoyed it, it was just good fun!!

Hey Jaguar what did you see the DS9 that connected to trouble with Tribbles, what did you think of it, I thought it was pretty good.

Actually I have the video set of both, along with a cute little tribble, ain't wives grand? !!! lol

Yes, I thought it was fun, especially the end where the temporal police said that they would have done the same thing!! TOO GOOD!! lol