Dune

Commander Jamont

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

Have you guys seen the 2000 remake of Dune? Man did that movie suk!

I liked the original soooo much better!

That's the one I liked. The first movie was too grotesque and wasn't very true to the story at all.

The new one was quite imaginative while staying with the story rather well.

Whats Dune?

Damn girl, you need an education. Ok, it's set in the far future, details the exploits of two powerful houses, House Atreides (Not sure of spelling) and House Harkonen not to mention a bit of a chump of an Emperor, Navigators Guild, Spice, big BIG Sand Worms, Heart Plugs (Read it again if you just did a double take), Weirding Weapons (My name is a killing word), Folding Space, Hunter-Killers, Fremen, Atomics .... the list goes on.

Take my advice, goto any book store and go look up Frank Herbert. You'll find a bunch of Dune related books. Theres lots of them, all need reading.

At a pinch, go rent the original movie. It's hours long, slow and dull for the most part, but is oddly entertaining. Oh yeah, it's also got Sting in it not to mention Patrick Stewart (Who looks older then than he does now - he's had some serious cosmetic work), Sean Young and a host of others I'm not even going to begin to mention.

I have yet to see the updated version, byut my friend bought it on DVD and loves it. Sometime I'll catch up and see if it's a more accurate telling of the story than the original film was.

Ok, so I didnt tell you the plot. Im not sure If I could using words. Just go read it or watch it.

Now!

quote:

Originally posted by Blades:

Ok, so I didnt tell you the plot. Im not sure If I could using words. Just go read it or watch it.

Wow, I don't even remember when I saw that movie. Probably when I was too young to remember. And I probably had my head buried in a pillow when the "bad parts" came along.

Heck, I don't even remember the movie itself. I probably should go watch it again to get a refresher.

Guest Mikel

My favorite Sci-fi movie of all time.

Personally, I like the remake better then the original, but if you look a little close you can see where the stage is and where the background scenery is. BTW, which book has heart plugs in it?

Behold, I am the Depository of All that is Dune.

Ask me..ask me...

No seriously, I have ALL the dune books. Dune, Children of Dune, Dune Messiah, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, Chapterhouse: Dune , The Dune Encyclopedia, Dune:House Atreides , Dune: House Harkonnen (last 2 written by Frank Herbert's son using his father's notes.. gawd his son's writing style sucks, but its worth just to get what was in Frank's storyline).

Akuma girl, drop that manga and READ. I guarantee you the Dune books, once you read them 4 times each you will see how DEEP those books go. its amazing.

The first movie they made (with Patrick Stewart) they really fek'd up. Only thing that followed the storyline was the scenery and the character's names and roles. Dialogue and storyline almost completely re-written. This new movie does catch the background, characters and plot much much closer to the book, but they changed several key scenes and ommited others (time? sigh.) Some phrases said by one character given to Paul to make him look brighter..Paul's character itself was HORRIBLY acted and totally twisted around.. Irulan's as well.

The cast of the original dune movie had MUCH better acting quality though. Heck, original dune Chani..what a BABE!. Hoot!

and... why are you looking at me like that? FINE! ill shut up now

quote:

The cast of the original dune movie had MUCH better acting quality though. Heck, original dune Chani..what a BABE!. Hoot!

Sean Young perfection = Bladerunner. Dont even start to argue this with me.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Blades ]

Guest Shingen

Well I don't give a damn if the original didn't follow the book or not, I still liked it better then the remake... (ok, Sean Young has about 99.9% to do with it, so sue me!)

I was terribly dissapointed by the remake. It may have been truer to the books, but the quality of the movie was absolutely horrendous. The acting was mediocre, the stages were lame (The painted backdrops were so rediculously amateur that I felt almost ashamed to be watching it), the special effects were lousy, and I could keep going on forever. The original Dune movie was far more realistic and believable than the new one by a far cry. IMHO, the remake should never have been done with the shanty budget that a TV miniseries allows. They could have at least shot the desert scenes on location in Death Valley or Egypt, rather than use those painfully corny backdrops. Ack!

quote:

I was terribly dissapointed by the remake. It may have been truer to the books, but the quality of the movie was absolutely horrendous.

I disagree. I thought the quality was outstanding.

quote:

The acting was mediocre, the stages were lame (The painted backdrops were so rediculously amateur that I felt almost ashamed to be watching it), the special effects were lousy, and I could keep going on forever.

Alas, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. The painted backdrops were a good compliment and were hardly amateur, the acting was VERY stylized theatrically (which is something I enjoy immensily), and the special effects were leaps above those of the original movie. Also, the cinematography was outstanding with lots of sensical camera movements. And whomever thought of that lighting was brilliant - I loved the scenes where it would subtlely go from day to night. It was hardly noticable except on a second glance.

quote:

The original Dune movie was far more realistic and believable than the new one by a far cry.

Hehe, now you be stretching. As John Lynch (the director) would even tell you, realism was not was the original movie was shooting for. It was supposed to show off a more surreal imagery approach to Dune.

The original had zero in the way of charactor development, rushed the ending, and poor acting (see my next point).

And I absolutely HATED the "thought" voice overs in the original. This is what acting is for - to SHOW what a charactor is thinking. Besides, no one really cared about what most of the charactors were thinking because they weren't developed, anyway.

At least Lynch produced a director's cut without the voice overs. Yuk.

Dune is far too epic to attempt to capture in a two hour movie. That simply not enough time to develop charactors in what is a charactor-driven story. The story is not about worms, fighting, etc - it is about the coming of age of a religious leader, and his struggles. It's about sacrifice and loss. None of this was depicted in the original movie.

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: aramike ]

The movies will always fall short of the novels, just imagine how long a dune movie would be if the book was converted word for word onto the big screen, we’re talking about a 20 hour movie at the very least.

But out of the two adaptations of the book I like the 1984 version the best. I hate the mini series, the acting, costumes, scenery, vessels, special effects, visual make up, was all horrid. The mini series didn’t draw me in, in the least bit.

Maybe I’m basis because I saw the original movie before I read the books. But the 1984 movie served to introduce me to the universe of Dune and helped me to visualize everything Frank was writing about in his novels, a great deal more.

Regardless, you have to look at the movies on their own merits, and not compare them to the novels or you’ll always be disappointed.

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Karl Wolf ]

Tac 'Moab di' Atreides says:

quote:

Behold, I am the Depository of All that is Dune.

Ask me..ask me...

LOL. I got stuck after the third "Dune" installation book. I read them as they were being published many years ago. Should I re-acquire the series and finish it out, including the books I never finished?

My question for Tac, the Dune Answer Man:

Is my memory correct that it was the sandworms who made the spice, melange?

I have always wondered what excretion/secretion/exudate/transudate/other was its origin from them?

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: thanatos ]

Guest Mikel

Thantos:

quote:

Is my memory correct that it was the sandworms who made the spice, melange?

Yes, that is correct. However, in Dune: Heretics one of the races (can't remember the name) are able to create spice and flood the market with it (If I remember correctly.

quote:

I have always wondered what excretion/secretion/exudate/transudate/other was its origin from them?

If I remember correctly, the hotter they are, the more spice they produce. I think melange production is a side-effect of their atmosphere conversion (Like how trees convert C02 to oxygen).

Thanks for the answers, Mikel, The Dune Answer Man.

quote:

If I remember correctly, the hotter they [sandworms] are, the more spice they produce.

Oh,....so the spice is worm sweat?!!

Guest Mikel

quote:

Oh,....so the spice is worm sweat?!!

What I meant by that, is that if you shoot a worm with a laser it'll suddenly produce a amount of spice. It also seems to produce spice when they have "water agony".

[edit: Or is it Spice agony? I can't remember]

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Mikel ]

"Is my memory correct that it was the sandworms who made the spice, melange?"

Sandworms were PART of what caused the spice. Read below.

"However, in Dune: Heretics one of the races (can't remember the name) are able to create spice and flood the market with it (If I remember correctly"

The Tleilaxu created synthetic spice by growing them in their axolotl tanks (which were in fact, women's wombs..ick).

"is that if you shoot a worm with a laser it'll suddenly produce a amount of spice. It also seems to produce spice when they have "water agony"."

No, shooting it with a LASGUN (high frequency laser) will only create oxygen not spice. The sandworms produced more oxygen the hotter they got, it was part of their internal chemistry. "water agony" as you call it is the pain suffered when a worm had contact with water..its like acid to them. The fremen drowned small worms to collect the dying secretion of the worm called Water of Life.

It was not sweat. Spice is, in short, dried worm DUNG which had a fungal growth on it.

Spice was made when pre-spice mass (fungusoid wild growth achieved when water is flooded into the excretions of little makers) that occures deep underground created a lot of gas as byproduct which created a "bubble" that surged upward from the sands, creating a "spice blow". Once this matter was on the surface, the sun dried it up and became spice.

NEXT!

Edit: stupid spelling.. argh

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Tac ]

Guest Shingen

I wanna know how the spice lets navigators BEND space?! (..or whatever)

That's one part of the whole story that I never quite got...

spice heightened the navigator's prescient powers, allowing them to "see" a course through foldspace. The actual proccess of folding space was done by machinery in the guild transports, but due to the Butlerian Jihad, no "thinking" computers were allowed, and mentats did not have the raw power to compute a safe course... but a navigator "saw" the path and directed the ship until it reached its destination.

Imagine that, for once, driving when stoned is actually a useful job skill