Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles

Oh man all of you guys have got to see the best animated CGI show ever made. Roughnecks on SCI-FI channel reminds me hopefully of what kind of action I'm dreaming of in surface ops in the BC universe. I mean if you saw just one episode of this awesome show you would be wondering hmm, I be better off being a grunt than piloting a starship in the BC universe. This show has motivated me if at all in the future to join the marines corps in the infantry. My trigger finger justs keeps getting itchy at the sight of those guns and the weapons in the show itself. Maybe I'm crazy but if any insurgent commander needs me I'll be dancing on the ship's hull. Heh heh.

*Evil devilish grin runs across face as I pull the trigger of my nuclear rocket launcher at enemy*

------------------

"Do not fear the unknown, embrace it."

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

No matter how far technology goes, military will never make infantry obsolete as long as the battles on ground exist. Watching this particular show makes you think of how our surface battles will be like in the future. No other force like infantry can secure property and defend it fiercely for a common goal. Ahh those dreams of being squad leader of my marines in BCM are feeling so good everyday. And all those surface ops dreams in multi are becoming so real I can feel the enemy crumbling at my feet. Roughnecks HOOO!!!

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

You should read the book Starship Troopers. It has to be one of the best written sci-fi books I've ever read. It is about a thousand times cooler than the movie ever was.

------------------

Cmdr Chaos

Spectre Fleet

ICV Banshee

"Do it with a smile and a mad gleam in your eye."

I get the SCI-FI channel but never have heard of this show. What time does it come on where you all are at?

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

*1st Squadron,*HammerHead Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Masada

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

SC....What day and time does the show come on in the EST time zone?

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

EXECUTIVE OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

It's on up here as well, one of the very rare times my sis is able to drag me kicking and screaming off the comp to watch it with her.. not sure which channel it's on, either Teletoon or YTV, but I'm lazy so sue me smile.gif"><P>Show------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

Is that the CGI show? Its on over here, or it was...I haven't seen it in a while, but it looks pretty good. Must try and find the book sometime though. I have been thinking about reading it for a while now!

------------------

Cmdr. A.R. Thomas

Spectre Fleet

Spectre StarStation

ICV-Victorinox

"A small mind is easily filled with faith"

Guest Remo Williams

Roughnecks hmmm haven't seen it yet guess I should get off this computer for a little while. Haven't set down and watched the tv in a couple years now. If anyone knows what time it comes on in the (PST) time zone please let me know. As and old oil field hand I was branded with that handle years ago. I guess they call us that for all the fighting, drinking, and cussing us ole boys like to do when we came ashore biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Remo Williams

GCV-Lexington

Prime Fleet

Gamma Wing

1st Squadron, (The Guarddogs)

Well since I live in California which is of course in the PST zone the show airs every 4:30am on the SCI-FI channel and 7:30am on local channels. Check your listings for times.

------------------

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

I cant be 100% sure about this, but I think it was showing on Sky One early mornings as part of the half term break from school TV. I never saw anything other than previews of it, but It look kinda cool.

However, bugs give me the creeps somthing evil ( Yet another long story of mine - Basically involves a horror LARP event I attended and a chicken sarnie crammed with the lil beggars ) so I doubt I'll be checking it out any time soon. smile.gif

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

Roughnecks shows on the Sci-Fi channel at 7:30 EST. Adjust accordingly for your time zone smile.gif.

------------------

Captain TBone

GCV Delorean

"If you're gonna build a time machine, you might as well do it in style"

Guest kwasi

Being a fan of Heinlein's novel I found the motion picture to be a disappointment. The CGI series, however, is very cool. It's more faithful to RAH's work, techwise, and a lot more fun than the flick! Kudos to the SCI-FI Channel and BKN (Bohbot Kids Network) for carrying it. Check out the cool fan site at:

Welcome to S.I.C.O.N. and follow the link to the very slick ROUGHNECK CHRONICLES site.

------------------

Commander Tarsus Wren

GCV Eye of Heru

Prime Fleet

S15 Staff Chief, Alpha Wing and CO Galcom HQ

"Nothing escapes the all-seeing Eye..."

[This message has been edited by kwasi (edited 04-07-2000).]

So I haven't seen the series yet however I've heard how good it is, but it's also had some problems. The first being one of the distributers selling the episodes to stations ahead of Foundation Image's production schedule without Sony's permission, so stations had to keep repeating the few episodes that had been completed over and over till the new ones where rendered and produced.

Now after checking the fan sight that posted I saw this in the news section...

-----------------

03/28/2000: 1. With today's episode we are be down to only one episode remaining, the last first-run episode of the season is just 7 days away. It's going to be vitally important to encourage friends to watch and to try to get the SciFi channel to show it 5 times a week once the series begins it's "in order" run on May 15th. If the show does really well over the summer then we have an excellent chance of seeing the Roughnecks' further adventures. Don't give up the fight troopers! It's just beginning! 2. The media section is back online, thanks to everyone who wrote in! 3. Rodimus of RoughneckChronicles is planning to start a "2nd season" written by fans. If you're interested, give it a try!

---------------------

So this week's episode is the final episode scheduled to show but not the ending of the story arc. They have a petition you can sign that they plan to send to sci-fi to encourage them to finish the series. You'd be surprised what fan support can do for a show (being a huge and old Babylon 5 fan I know =) so if you'de like to see the rest of the series you may want to check out that sight and consider pitching in.

BTW I have absolutly nothing to do with that sight, it just sounds like something I'de be willing to see completed.

And yes the book rocks >

Just an FYI...

------------

Beginning May 15th, for the first time all 40 episodes will be airing in chronological order. BKN will be watching the ratings very closely at this point to determine if the show will be picked up for a second season. So if no one watches, the show will end with this first season's major cliffhanger season finale.

--------------

The rest can be read here... http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=5659

• 1 year later...

I saw this show for the first time last week - we only just got Foxtel Cable at home (I'm in Australia) and it shows on the Fox Kids channel.

This show absolutely ROCKS! It's some of the best CGI I've ever seen, and that particular medium really suits the show. A lot of CGI shows seem to be made simply to show off CGI, but this one is different. Right down to the dialogue, characterisations, and music. In fact, the music is one of it's strong points. Very atmospheric, especially the intro tune - simple, but it stays in my head all day. In fact, the entire intro is so smooth it almost looks like live action - only better. The show oozes atmosphere.

Which brings to my gripe of the day. Our cable operator doesn't carry the SciFi channel (nor do any of the Australian cable operators). Which means that R:STC is being carried on Fox Kids. I mean, this is a show that depicts violence, lots of gunfire, alien bugs spraying green blood, and humans being stabbed and killed. Fair enough, older kids could probably watch it just fine. But Fox Kids also shows programs for younger viewers. Farscape is also shown on Fox Kids, which in my mind was never a kids show and never will be. After all, on Farscape we see many sexual references and innuendos throughout the series, as well as gunfire, people being stabbed, and occasionally, quite graphic scenes of violence.

It seems to me that these days, programme managers look at a show, see "animated" or "science fiction" and immediately file it in the "kids" category. I'm constantly amazed that while Star Trek is shown on channel TV1, Farscape (aimed at the same audience) is shown in Fox Kids.

Nowhere is this misunderstanding of animation more obvious than with adult cartoons such as South Park (which, thank God, isn't on Fix Kids!) The thing that amazes me is how many parents make the same mistake. I see four and five year olds wandering around with South Park clothes on - obviously bought by parents. I sometimes wonder whether these parents have actually watched the show? I mean, the word "bastard" wouldn't be in my four or five year old's vocabulary, nor any of the other language used on the show!

Other shows, in particular anime such as Robotech - I watched Robotech as a child and remember being shocked by some things. Watching it as an adult now, I'm aghast at the number of things I missed - Robotech certainly wasn't intended to be a children's show in it's original form!

*ahem*. I'll get off my soapbox now. Rougnecks: Starship Troopers. Damn good show. Can't get enough. Redo the movie using the Roughnecks CGI and performances and it'd be a hit. A bigger hit. I want a Marauder of my own.

*ahem*.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: DeSylva ]

Guest Commander Hamblin

I want the Valley Forge.

Both the real life United States Ticonderoga class Guided Missile Cruiser, and the ship from Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles.

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Commander Hamblin ]

For all UK/Ireland viewers the Starship Troopers CGI is shown on saturday and sunday on Sky 1.

I have seen most of the episodes at this stages as sky have repeated the series a few times now but they are very good and well put together. I wait to see if the second series will appear

• 3 weeks later...

I can't seem to find the shows playing near me. I've looked throught the entire sci-fi channel listing for the past few weeks and i can't find a trace of the show. I'm in southern california, so i figured it would be on at 4:30 a.m., but still cant find it.

I loved this show, too! Yea, didn't Sci-Fi change their schedule? Now when I try to look for BKN, there's the old show, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. Never liked it one bit.

So that explains why you can't find it on Sci-Fi anymore. Oh well.

Does anyone know where to get it in the USA?

well, I believe that if you are on the east coast, fox (buffalo) has it really early in the morning, and otherwise it's on the cartoon network (at least it is in canada).

However I do believe that the show is no longer being made. It's a shame because Foundation Imaging does incredible CG work (just look at the SFX in the last few seasons of voyager...plot not withstanding of course). I'm looking forward to the next CG aimated show that's bound to come along. and I desperately hope that it isn't too much for really little kids.