Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles

I remember this show was on last Summer. Thats when I first heard of/seen it. Havent seen it or about 6 or so months now (in Va.).

Last episode I recall they were on Earth Fighting bugs (dont want to give too much away . Can someone tell me if it progressed further. )

Hey Luc!! The newest CGI shows on now are MAX STEELE and ACTION MAN Kinda kiddy, but not a bad show of CGI.

Actually My Fav next to RoughNecks has got to be Transformers BeastMachines Great CGI there IMHO.

yeah, believe me, I try to absorb as much cgi content I can muster (believe it or not, I haven't yet had a chance to see Final Fantasy, but I will be going this weekend for sure.

I just wish they would make a cgi tv show that airs later (like 10 pm) and content like the Spawn comic (or animated series, not that horrible movie).

WOAH!! Now you are talkin!! SPAWN in CGI..That would be something!! Another cool one would be if they did an ALIENS vs PREDATOR in CGI (seeing as we may never get a movie and Sigourney is gettin a bit "long in the tooth").

hehhe, she's getting a little longer in more than her 'teeth', if you know what I mean.

Spawn would look really great, especially if they can stick to the original idea. But there are so many great ideas out there. I have a question...why hasn't there been any movies made of Larry Niven or Jerry Pournelle's books? Footfall would make a great series. Legacy of Heorot would make a great movie and so would The Mote in God's Eye...then there's the Janissaries and the Man Kzin Wars....none of those have even been touched.

/edit moi speeling baad /edit

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: Luc ]

Hehe..Tho I do gotta admit she looked pretty good in Galaxy Quest (wonder if the makeup artist got an Oscar for that)

I've heard of Niven, but havent read any of his books. Same for Pournelle. I'll definatley look into their stuff next time I'm at borders...Getting tired of reading the same stuff and waiting for Part 2, 3, or 4 to come out.

Hope to see more stuff out in the future, like you said lots of material is available.

• 2 weeks later...

Niven and Pournelle have to be the ABSOLUTE best colaborators in the sci-fi community. And for you Luc...the Kzinti and an adaptation of a Niven story have already been on TV. MAJOR kudos to anyone who can figure this one out. Though my choice for Niven on the tube would be Ringworld, now that would be an excellent series.

Guest ParkerM

From Niven and Pournelle's non-fictional writing I get the impression that they'd want a LOT of money and almost complete control over the project that bears their name. Not because they're jerks but because they would want to ensure the quality of the product. We wouldn't know anybody like that around here would we?

Parker

Guest ParkerM

quote:

Originally posted by Malleus Malefictorum:

. And for you Luc...the Kzinti and an adaptation of a Niven story have already been on TV. MAJOR kudos to anyone who can figure this one out.

Would you be speaking of the animated Star Trek series? I never saw the series but Niven writes of it in "Playgrounds of the Mind", which is a collection of short stories and anecdotes.

FWIW I still think "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" is hilarious.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: ParkerM ]

Damn fine showing Parker! The Star Trek animated TV series had an adaptation of "The Soft Weapon" that they renamed "The Slaver Weapon". I figured it would take awhile before someone would get that. I know that they (Niven and Pournelle) would insist on creative control and should get in IMHO. Don't really think that they would insist on too much money though. And I have to admit that Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex is one of the funniest pieces of literature ever. And Louis Wu and Gil the ARM are some of the coolest characters too. If you can't tell I'm a Niven fan.

Guest ParkerM

quote:

If you can't tell I'm a Niven fan.

Yeah, so am I.

I wonder what a General Products hull would be worth in the BC universe?

LOL I would definately pay well for one of those. Just park it in the middle of a large battle and thumb my nose at everyone else. Hmmmm let me see.

General Products Model 2 Hull

Quantum II Hyperdrive

Reactionless Thrusters

Slaver Sunflowers mounted on the hull

(Takes care of close fighters and missiles)

Ringworld shadow square wire for mines

(imagine flying into a net made from those)

A larger version of a Slaver Disintegrator

for ship weaponry

Louis Wu: Captain

Beowolf Schaffer: Pilot

Nessus (the Puppeteer): Science Officer

Marine Contingent to consist of Kzinti and Pak Protectors armed with Variable Swords and Flashlight Lasers.

And cargo: Drouds, lots of drouds

NOW I'm ready to take over the Universe!!!

I once said something about this in another thread, except I wanted a Planetoid from David Webber series starting with Mutineers moon and ending with the Heirs of Empire. Antimatter hyper missiles, gravitonic drives, gravitonic disrupters, PLANETOIDS!!! TOO COOL, and of course those Energy weapons!! Hoo YAA, talk about taking over the universe!!!

Guest ParkerM

quote:

LOL I would definately pay well for one of those. Just park it in the middle of a large battle and thumb my nose at everyone else. Hmmmm let me see.

General Products Model 2 Hull

Quantum II Hyperdrive

Reactionless Thrusters

Slaver Sunflowers mounted on the hull

(Takes care of close fighters and missiles)

Ringworld shadow square wire for mines

(imagine flying into a net made from those)

A larger version of a Slaver Disintegrator

for ship weaponry

Louis Wu: Captain

Beowolf Schaffer: Pilot

Nessus (the Puppeteer): Science Officer

Marine Contingent to consist of Kzinti and Pak Protectors armed with Variable Swords and Flashlight Lasers.

And cargo: Drouds, lots of drouds

NOW I'm ready to take over the Universe!!!

Yeah, just hope those Reactionless thrusters don't give out! Can you say SPLAT?! LOL

well, for you die hard game fans, and Niven fans...someone actually made a Ringworld adventure game...it's pretty old (a dos title), in fact I think it came out in the hay day of the Sierra Isometric view point and click adventures (that's the type of game it was). Not too crappy, but it sure as hell would look better now as a first person RPG type game like system shock 2, or deus ex.

Malleus - that was in Star trek the animated series?? that explains why I had no idea.

and...REACTIONLESS THRUSTERS?? what's the point in having 'thrusters' that fart instead of push? Unless of course you want the ship to stink in the direction that you want it to go.

I would love to see 'the mote in god's eye' made into a movie...as long as at least ONE of the writers contributed to the making of it (preferably Niven), but I would accept Pournelle and Barnes too.

Guest ParkerM

quote:

Originally posted by Luc:

I would love to see 'the mote in god's eye' made into a movie...as long as at least ONE of the writers contributed to the making of it (preferably Niven), but I would accept Pournelle and Barnes too.

I was thinking about that not too long ago. I think that CGI tech has become sufficiently advanced to allow MOTE to be made. The question is: Could it be pulled of well in 2.5hrs? That would be tough.

Ya, it was in the ST animated series. As for Reactionless Thrusters, well:

As quoted in the Ringworld Tech Manual:

"REACTIONLESS DRIVE: Any Sub-light propulsion system which does not eject a stream of matter (or photons) to produce thrust, such as a gravity polarizer or a thruster."

The benefits to this are: You don't have to lug around reaction mass (which takes up space and weight) and there is no "left overs" to track your ship by. I'm sure there are a few other benefits but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

On another note, Mote would probably have to be a two part movie. They couldn't pull it off in two hours without butchering it. Although Footfall could be done in two hours. Ringworld would have to be a miniseries though.

Guest ParkerM

quote:

On another note, Mote would probably have to be a two part movie. They couldn't pull it off in two hours without butchering it. Although Footfall could be done in two hours. Ringworld would have to be a miniseries though.

Unfortunately MOTE doesn't have any convenient spots to break the story like a two-parter would need. I mean prior to jumping off from Murcheson's Eye its all back story and political wrangling.If you break there the audience will be saying "why did I spend $10 for that?" If you break after the jump they'll be "What?!! It was just getting started!!" A possibilty is a movie trilogy:1) New Chicago to New Scotland 2) The Mote 3) New Scotland again but I bet no one would watch parts 1 and 3. I would but thats me.

I never really cared for "Footfall". It just didn't seem to have the same...fire I guess, as their earlier works. I did like the mental image of the T-shirt that had an American flag but instead of the 50 stars it had a galactic whorl. I still chuckle at that one. I also liked the image of the earth ship lifting on nuclear explosions. Just from the sheer awesomeness of the idea of riding a nuke blast.

The flight of the ArchAngel Michael is worth the price of the entire book. The design they used for the ship is an actual worthwhile design. It would work. It can even be setup with 1980's technology to provide 1G of acceleration. Sporadic, but with the appropriate type of shock absorber you could have 1G constant on the crew deck.

Just thought...Another good book/movie adaptation would be Lucifer's Hammer. Kind of over done already with Armaggedon and the other movie like it (I can't remember the name. Just the scene with the guy surfing the tidal wave through L.A. Would be worth the cost of admission.

quote:

Just thought...Another good book/movie adaptation would be Lucifer's Hammer. Kind of over done already with Armaggedon and the other movie like it (I can't remember the name. Just the scene with the guy surfing the tidal wave through L.A. Would be worth the cost of admission.

you are mixing 2 movies there. There were three movies that had stuff hitting the earth really hard.

1) Meteor

2) Armageddon

3) Deep Impact

the movie where the guy is surfing the tidal wave may have been from Escape from LA, which had nothing to do with the other 3 films, and was just plain bad.

quote:

As quoted in the Ringworld Tech Manual:

"REACTIONLESS DRIVE: Any Sub-light propulsion system which does not eject a stream of matter (or photons) to produce thrust, such as a gravity polarizer or a thruster."

The benefits to this are: You don't have to lug around reaction mass (which takes up space and weight) and there is no "left overs" to track your ship by.

Unfortunately, a reaction control thruster fires in bursts or flashes. REactinless thruster is an oxymoron in that it is a contradiction in terms. A gravitic drive or 'polarizer' as you describe would be a more adequate description, however these cannot (by definition) be untrackable as they produce radiation or 'energy waves' to generate propulsion. in the end in order to move, an object MUST push against 'something'.

Deep Impact was the one I was thinking of. Forgot entirely about Meteor. The scene I was talking about with the guy surfing was in Niven's book Lucifer's Hammer. This was regular L.A. (not the L.A. from escape). Lucifer's Hammer (a comet) hits the Indian Ocean, the resulting Tidal wave was around two MILES high (I think) and it has a scene where a bunch of surfers paddle out and surf this monstrous wave. One guy actually makes it into down town LA and he has to start surfing around Skyscrapers. Like I said it's worth the price of the book.

I don't remember how Thrusters worked in Known Space but Gravity Polarizers worked by negating the gravitons in all directions but one, then strengthening the force of the gravitons in that one direction. There by the ship actually falls in the direction desired. Yes there is an energy signature, but like most energy it travels at the speed of light and disapates with the square of the distance. Therefore you could "see" a ship that was nearby with sensors, but could find out where a ship had been, because the sig would be gone. Thrusters have a similar effect, but were more advanced and had higher performance. By the way, if anyone has anyquestions about Niven's Known Space series ask away, between me reading all the stories and having the guide helps too.