The NEW Enterprise

Korono Lakeela

Stupid questions...will the Klingon foreheads be what it is now or from the original series?

In the original series the Klingons looked like they had over did it on the facelift department.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first idea after looking at the new ship and the interview was that this will be a comedie serie.

Scott Bakula seems to have no charisma. Neither in the way of Kirk or Picard.

I've found only one stand out characteristic at this captain: ARROGANCE

It will be very funny for all of us to look how many 'unknown phenomens' this new crew will explain with 'techno blabla' and how this blabla will sound.

To starting a series in the past of the time earlier series are set will be very hard.

It is not only the lack of technologie the writers have to pay attention.

Also the prevention of such failures like investing and explaining something that will not occur in starfleets databases 200 years later.

After all it will be interesting to see how 7of9 looks in the year 2151.

What I mean chavik is that this new ship really looks like what shouldve come after TOS and before TNG. Imo, that fake Enterprise looked much more convincing.

"However, in one of the last episodes the Voyager series did a very good job on the old Klingon cruiser I thought. Kept the old look just updated it."

Agreed.

Look at ST: First Contact. The battle against the borg cube near Earth, you will see a ship almost exactly like this "Enterprise" fighting in the background. Cute eh?

The klingons engaged in genetic engineering to improve their race between the times of kirk and picard I think that was the reason given in a book.

You know, it would be REALLY cool if this new Enterprise series took place during the First and Second Romulan Wars.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Tac ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

The klingons engaged in genetic engineering to improve their race between the times of kirk and picard I think that was the reason given in a book

Ya know, I'm a Trek-fan and all (not quite a Trekkie, but close), but what were these guys smoking when they came up with all these excuses for little indiscrepancies? I mean, seriously...

For example; Romulans and Vulcans look the same because some ancient alien species spread their seed across the galaxy?

I could nitpick some more, but my memory and consciousness ain't in the mood.

Back to the discussion at hand, I'm not worried about Enterprise failing on graphical aspects. It could look like a freakin' 31st century ship and I couldn't care. What I was worried about is that they're getting non-talent, or low-talent, actors to play the parts of roles that could actually mean something if properly cast.

Same goes for Andromeda and Earth: Final Conflict. Not saying that Kevin Sorbo is a bad actor, but he isn't much of a good one either. And what's up with those Taelons, anyway?

As for Jeri Ryan not being hired for her body, I really do have to disagree. Hell, over half of my friends watched Voyager in anxious anticipation of merely being able to stare at her torso.

Regarding the 'sidekick' comment, I'm not sure. I hadn't really noticed Janeway and Seven working together all that much. More often than not, Seven was just that little chewtoy that they got Chakotay to fool around with to draw interest in the show. I also noticed that as she 'regained her humanity' she became less and less like a normal person and much more, erm, estrogenesque. That's my take, anyway.

quote:

Regarding the 'sidekick' comment, I'm not sure. I hadn't really noticed Janeway and

Seven working together all that much.

Maybe not a 'sidekick', more of a 'straight foil', like Spock's logic to Kirk's chivalry, and Odo's sharp eye to Quark's swift hand.

The semi-Borg Seven's deadpan rebelliousness was a 'straight foil' to Janeway's passionate resoluteness.

quote:

More often than not, Seven was just that little chewtoy that they got Chakotay to fool around with to draw interest in the show. I also noticed that as she 'regained her humanity' she became less and less like a normal person and much more, erm, estrogenesque.

I've only seen the reruns that are broadcast in Australia, which are currently entering the 1998/99 season (no spoilers please ).

Personally, I find B'ellana Torres more attractive.

Sevenofnine's breasts are just way too big, sorry. Was this how the Borg were going to assimilate the Universe, give their female drones Norma Snockers to seduce the males of the Delta Quadrant? As my dear old Dad says 'More than a mouthful's a waste'

Well obviously, if she approached me with that steely look and the old 'Resistance is futile', I'd be hard-pressed (excuse the pun, entirely intended) to refuse her assimilating my technology.

Paddy maybe you hadn't heard the saying..."Why sit on a rickety chair when you can lie down and sink on the sofa"

Conclusion:-

BIG is better

If you children are finished with imagining sexual relations with fictional characters, then could we get this topic back on track. Its starting to deviate severly. Please post your critique on the new enterprise show or don't post here. Thanks.

start a new thread for "which fictional character is hotter?" thread if you would like.

Harlocke needs to take a chill pill!! I think that everything that needs to be said about this "NEW" show has been said.

I am going to give it a fair trial, but I am biased to the bad!!

And 7 of 9 is WAY hotter then just about any Star Trek female character.

There, get this back on track, WAY HOTTER!!!!!! lol

Ok Tac, It's all subjective. You think it looks more modern. I don't I'll tell you why.

First one thing out the way. I'm a fan. I'm not a Trekkie or a Trekker (I read somewhere that's what the most diehard fans prefer). Just a fan. So if you go pulling techno books on me I'll get lost.

Ok the Enterprise from the first show (notice I didn't say first Enterprise ) looked good back when I watched re runs as a child. It had the nowtrademark "saucer" , a pregnant underbelly, cylindrical (sp?) nacelles, and super straight struts supporting them. Oh, and the hull was stark white.

Now fast forward to the Next Generation and Voyager. Ships from this "era" are a very muted white almost grey. Better hull technology? I'd like to think so. The "saucers" are very rounded and the supporting struts for the nacelles are very "swoopy".

Now, back-track to the present "former" Enterpise. It's a silver bronze color to differentiate it from "modern" ships. At least I think so and I think that is what they are trying to do. Plus the ship is very angular. Yes the "saucer" looks pretty modern from the pic but I attribute that to today's better graphics technology.

I don't think the new/first Enterprise looks more modern. I think it is a good compromise between the original show and today's better graphics tech.

"It Looks like an Akira class" So? Star Trek has made a trademark of the "saucer" and the nacelles. So this Enterprise looks like a class of ship in the more modern Trek universe. No one has stopped to forgive the show a little and pretend that that particular class of ship may have had a unique configuration that worked well in that size ship. Who is to say that this "First" Enterprise isn't the forerunner of that particular class of ship?

That's my rant on the Enterprise. I think it's ok and if you forgive the modern graphics you can beleive it looks "older".

I still like that ancient Klingon cruiser from Voyager though. That was nice and a total shock.

I watched the Interview with Scott Bakula. The unifrom was very muted. The bridge looked very muted. It was all greys. None if this modern blue yellow green color scheme. I think it will work.

Klingons did genetic engineering? BAH. Better makeup. I can live with that.

Hope that explains some of it Tac.

Harlocke

Dr. Who. It was campy because it was supposed to be campy. I don't think Enterprise is going for this. It is not about story telling but how you tell your story.

quote:

This show could very well be the best trek ever

reserving judgement

quote:

...it will all depend upon the writing and the execution of that writing.

agreed.

quote:

Frankly I thought that Voyager was a slap in the face of rodenberry as the show tackled nothing and believed in nothing.

I think quite differently.

DS9 was nothing but Cheers in Space. It did not explore. It did not seek. It settled into politics, who controlled what. It sought to maintain the status quo. Same people , same place, throw in some politics.

"Cheers" in space. Plain and simple.

Voyager, in my view, did go back to the original premise of Star Trek. Exploration. Yeah they reversed it and that was neat. Voyager explored on the way home. Way too cool.

DS9: "Cheers" in space.

Voyager: Original Star Trek, somewhat reversed.

I like your angle Lindsey, on the new enterprise. A good way of looking at it. Probably the kind of thinking that went through "foundation imagings" (if there the same cgi group working on it.) minds during the design phase.

When I mentioned Dr.Who I was simply trying to relay that imagery is not everything.

About DS9 being "cheers" in space....you must have not watched enough DS9. DS9 helped explore the trek universe better than any of the other shows did. It fleshed it out greatly while at the same time exploring alot of issues,ideas, and difficult situations. And why must the cast meet 200+ alien species to make it a good trek? Did you miss the real points Rodenberry was making? Don't watch final conflict earth then...it will drive you nuts. ONLY 2 alien species there and some crazy idea about continuity in the story lines, I take it you hated Babylon 5 as well.

DS9: good, meaty sci-fi

B5: simply the best and deepest sci-fi to ever hit the small screen

Voyager: Shallow, self-undermining,2-d depth,half the charaters poorly written, crap wrapped up in shiny foil packaging. Almost every episode ends up destroying the interesting angle/idea/concept it had within 15-30min. It was very unfulfilling. Even the www.ign.com reviewers repeatedly gave low scores to the episodes..simply citing voyager to be the worst trek overall. But hey now there is this new spin-off ...perhaps it will out do voyager or make voyager look like thespian godsend. We shall see.

Actually I think the original Enterprise looks better...After they got more money and better technology (NCC-1701A from the movies). Yup the Akiraprise ( I said it first!!) looks better than the original series. Then again nothing can compare to TOS, that is in an Era all its own.

When I look at it the Akiraprise has a sorta Retro Look, The saucer section kinda reminds me of that Saucer from "Plan nine from Outter Space??" (think thats the name).

Anywho we all know this show is gonna be a hit sooner or later. How long do you think its gonna take em to have 7of9 fall through some Subspace anomaly, timeshift through the Q continum to land on the Akiraprise and save the Day (and ratings) with here Quantum Torpedos!!

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Skeletun ]

20 quid sez that it will have some refferences to 'Quantum Leap'....however vague (like Andromeda with Hercules). But all in all it should be an interesting show to watch and I think we should all reserve all our judgement till then.

p.s. Dax is much hotter than 7 of 9 and Torres....something to do with dark hair and blue eyes

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

But all in all it should be an interesting show to watch and I think we should all reserve all our judgement till then.

Just so people don't get me wrong here, I have nothing against the show itself... the premise is good. I'm just afraid that it'll turn into a hokey show that pre-adolescents will watch, rather than the target audience of teens and adults.

That's how I feel Andromeda works... it seems oriented towards people who prefer action and stuff, rather than strategy and diplomacy. Which, in my opinion, targets those caffeine-crazed Japanime-fan kids.

That's not such a bad thing, technically, but I really like strategy and diplomacy. Much better than I like action.

Not to mention that they're going to be rewriting the entire history while still having to conform to the history. Lucas didn't even pull that off well. Episode 1, while a nice flick, has so much foreshadowing it is practically sickening.

quote:

p.s. Dax is much hotter than 7 of 9 and Torres....something to do with dark hair and blue eyes

Here's a guy who knows his women!

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a guy who knows his women!

--------------------

Amen, Brother!

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

Which one though? I preferred the second one (forget name of character and actress ), although Jadzir (sp?) was also a fine specimen.

My God, I sound like a biologist.........oh, I am.

The first one...Jadzia (I think), the one that got killed prior to the last series. The second Ezri was not bad too but she reminded me too much of an ex .

Besides the two Dax's seems more human too me than 7 of 9. But then again I wouldn't say no either to 7 of 9 .