Planet of the Apes(spoiler)

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

well, I saw it on friday. It was pretty good. But I just dont see ANY way they can explain the ending. It Just does not work out at all.

It cleaned house this weekend making 69.5 million in 3 days. The biggest July opening ever. Stomping JP3 22 million to rubble.

AS soon as there are some replies. Id like to talk about the ending and see what you think.

I thought it was absolute junk. It couldn't hold a candle to the original, and the love storie(s?) felt very tacked on and extraneous. The main character was not very likable, and his constant tough guy attitude didn't seem to fit. What made the original Planet of the Apes great was the suprise ending that it was actually Earth all along. In this film, the audience knows this going in, and so it takes a lot from the film. That, coupled with the fact the the technical elements of the film were not particalarly notable (not the special effects, other elements, like camera angles and cut sequences) and the confusing and bad ending, make this film sub-par.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Yes, I agree mostly.

Problems.

1. There is no way on Gods green earth, that we will have a space station like that in 2029. I think they made a HUGE mistake by not pushing the events out a little further. In the past we all looked at the AMAZING things we could accomplish in the year 2000, or 2010 or whatever. Now we live here and we can all see that Technology is not advancing that fast. Movies need to recognize that, it totally disrupts the suspension of reality.

2. The ending. There is simply NO possible way to work this out. They Start in 2029, jump forward to 2543, and come back to 2150ish. How in the "HECK!" Is that supposed to affect events in the 1800's or earlier? If you take the line that my friend did and say the clocks in the ship were wrong, and he actually went back to the beginning of "evolution" or the distant past. Then how could Abraham lincon be Thade? He would have exsisted Gazillions of years before. Not to mention as smart as the Apes were, by 2150 or whatever, It would be stinking Star Trek or BCM.

Im sure they will come up with some totally REDICULOUS and unplausable explanation. I just cant understand how the writers and director could actually allow an ending like that.

The main character was totally uninspiring. The writers totally hozed it. They needed a Character who was brilliant, or action oriented, Or dynamic. That role should have went to someone like Heath Leadger (a knights tale, The Patriot).

The only area of the film that they nailed were the Apes. Totally awesome make-up. The lead ape Thade was just great.

Lastly. Whould any SANE red-blooded American Male go for the Ape chick over that TOTAL BABE??? I mean GIVE ME A BREAK!

Thats just sick and wrong.

All they were trying to do with the ending was suprise and shock the audience like the original did. Needless to say, it didn't work. Everyone knew that Lincoln would be an ape as soon as he landed in Washington, even if it made no sense. To reiterate, two things that made the original great: Charlton Heston, and a good, understandable, yet shocking ending. On another note, I just read Starship Troopers for the bazillionth time, awesome movie, worst butchery of a book by a film I've ever seen.

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: brendiaz ]

Not sure, but here's what I make of the ending:

1) Didn't the Lincoln temple mention "General Thade" conquering Earth? Didn't read it to carefully, so my guess may be way off...

2) Thade survived (ducked under a console while blaster bolts ricocheted around).

So...I think that they are hoping to make a sequel, wherein someone busts Thade loose, and he gets his guys to go through the EM storm and conquer Earth, remaking it in his image or so. (Grasping at straws? I'm confused too here )

One thumb up and one down.

The movie was worth seeing though, because if I didn't I'd have never heard this comment with respect to the female ape (can't remember name) who helped the humans:

(Hero just emerges from lake with ape-lady on back; camera shot of ape-lady):

Friend: "Hey, she looks like Michael Jackson!"

ROFL!

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

my question,

Did they Go to 2543 AD or 2543 BC? The year is defenitly 2500 range. either way that leaves no room for the events that conclude the movie. either

a. The future would not effect the past he returns to.

b. The distant past is to long before the year 2149 for anyone to even remember Thade.

The only other possability is that the Earth he crashes at in the begining is a different dimention, and at the end he stays in that dimention and just hops into its future. In this case you have to accept the idea that the clocks on the ship were completely WRONG and have no bearing on the actual events.

In any case. It sucks that the writers would even write such nonsensical rubbish.

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Hellbinder[CE] ]

My question, how would the clock know what year it is, huh? The ship's clock would simply keep time normally, it couldn't "sense" a jump forward in time. Even if the ending could be explained, doesn't make the movie any better.