Coming Attraction: Lord of the Rings

JaxFox

Heh I had to start this one

December 19, 2001.

Who's going opening day to see it.

How well do you think it is going to do?

Anything involving the movie.

I work at a theatre and the offical running time is close to 3 hours, and that is without the previews.

I think that it will be the block buster of the year

p.s. I said that wrong. We do not have the movie yet. But we did get the run time information for it.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: JaxFox ]

I can't wait for the movie. Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are my two favorite books of all time (and a love a lot of other JRR Tolkien middle-earth books - basically all of them I've ever read, even the unfinished works). Hell, I even have hardbound collector's editions of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, I still have this sinking feeling that they're going to screw it up in the movie. I've never once seen a fantasy-based movie that had even remotely good acting. And on top of that, I can't think of any "throw away" or "bad" parts of the books - so I can't imagine how they're going to shorten them for a movie. Oh, well... maybe I'll be wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by Simparadox:

I can't wait for the movie. Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are my two favorite books of all time (and a love a lot of other JRR Tolkien middle-earth books - basically all of them I've ever read, even the unfinished works). Hell, I even have hardbound collector's editions of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, I still have this sinking feeling that they're going to screw it up in the movie. I've never once seen a fantasy-based movie that had even remotely good acting. And on top of that, I can't think of any "throw away" or "bad" parts of the books - so I can't imagine how they're going to shorten them for a movie. Oh, well... maybe I'll be wrong.

.......Dare I mention 'Dungeons and Dragons'?....

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some preview passes for a showing next wednesday, so will let you know what I think. (Thats if I can score them)

Saw the making of it last night on TV, and it looks pretty good. The director basically was a big fan, and was the main instigator behind getting the movies made, so I imagine he would try and be as faithfull as possible to the books.

(eg They were saying the wanted to make HobbitVille as realistic as possible, so they created the sets a year before primary filming commenced, and planted vegetable gardens a year in advance)

If you get a chance, catch the making on TV.

And it was filmed right here in New Zealand.

Cheers

Darrin

Woohoo!

Just been informed by my boss that I get to splice one of the LoTR movies together, when we get it.

Which means I get to preview it Tuesday night to make sure it runs well.

Of course it might take two of so tries to make sure everything is running smoothly.

quote:

Originally posted by Antimatter:

I resisted going to see it when it came out. I knew it would be horrible. It was obvious. A friend recently forced me to rent the DVD and watched it (according to him it was "Great!"). Ugh... there's two hours I'll never get back.

I'm going, if I can scrounge up the money.

quote:

I'm a D&D freak, so I went to see it on opening day, even though I had that sinking feeling I was gonna suck. I hate it when I'm right. In fact, the whole deal with Snails (I think that's his name) getting killed was bogus, because you can just stroll into the local temple with the corpse (which was intact, btw) and 1000 gp and get him resurrected. The only real excuse I could think of was that they didn't have the thousand gold, but then they could just take the corpse with them and start saving, and stop moping as though he's gone forever. The only real fun I had with it was identifying the spells that were being cast. (Dimention Door was used a lot) I know, call me a nerd.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

I saw "The making of..."also,It looks like it is going to be a masterpiece! Would really like to see the "Elric" saga and the "Wheel of time" series on the silver screen also.

Speaking of "The Wheel of Time", I hear the new RPG is fresh off the presses.

Has anyone had a chance to look at it yet?

I read a few articles on the making of this movie, and according to the director and some of the actors, the movie is as close to the books as possible. According to one actor, they changed the words for a few of the characters in the screenplay, but it just didn't work, when they went back to the original in the book it worked perfect. So I expect the movies to be as close to the book as possible.

Unlike Battlefield earth and other asundry trash that I have seen!!

quote:

Originally posted by Stormshadow:

Speaking of "The Wheel of Time", I hear the new RPG is fresh off the presses.

Has anyone had a chance to look at it yet?

I have seen and read parts of it...I wish I had not, I think I am going to cry at what they did to it.

What a waste of such a brilliant series.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: JaxFox ]

My Media Studies teacher is taking us to see a special screening of it on the morning of Dec. 19th. I can't wait, I haven't read the books but I know someone who has and he said it's great. So I suspect the movie will be as well. At least it better be, since they allready made the other two. $300,000,000 for all three.

DEAR GOD, ITS ALMOST TOMMORROW!, I haven't read the book in so many years (about 13) that I decided to touch up on my facts. And I have been slacking, have 98 pages to go by 4pm tommorrow.....that doesn't seem like a lot, but Tolkien, as I forgot, has as way of dragging in a few places! Now don't take that personally, he is the KING of all the is cool in the fantasy world...but sometimes his classical writing style and attention to EVERY DETAIL known to man is a little rough.

But that aside, this movie is going to rock..I have not heard one bad review about it, heck, their putting it up there as one of the best movies in the last 50 years.

quote:

Originally posted by Korono Lakeela:

DEAR GOD, ITS ALMOST TOMMORROW!, I haven't read the book in so many years (about 13) that I decided to touch up on my facts.

Loned my copies out to my sister-in-law on Saturday. I'm somewhat envious of her, she's just discovering the terrors of Khazad-D├╗m, the peace of Rivendell and the glory of Lothl├│rien.

Will be heading for a matinee tomorrow.

For all interested, heres a link to a review search engine

From reading there is only 1 or 2 negative reviews. Most reviewers were actually left wanting more, one even said he could've sat through another 5-6 hours of it.

(Imagine the theatres in 2 years showing all 3 one after the other - 9 hour LOTR-athon)

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?isindex=The%20L...of%20the%20Ring

Should wet the appetite a little.

Cheers

Darrin

The Terrain Guy

A friend loaned me The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings a very long time ago. I started reading them on a Friday night after work, and didn't stop until I had finished Return of the King late Saturday evening.

You bet your bippy I'll be seeing it tomorrow errr today.

"Where is our precious?"

............ ...........

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Wolferz ]