Band of Brothers

modarken

Yeah, I've been lucky enough to see them all so far in order in widescreen and 5.1 audio.

If you are the type who likes war movies, this series is IMHO better than Private Ryan, and about 10 times longer. It's absolutely awesome, and disturbing at the same time. The acting is A quality through the whole thing.

I'll be buying this series when it comes out on DVD. If you have a chance to see it, start at the beginning if you can. Seriously, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't start at the beginning of these. You'll regret it.

I love watching Band Of Brothers. It's just like the old TV series Combat!.

Combat! followed a squad of soldiers from bootcamp to Normandy and through the war. It was actually a series of personality plays, usually focusing on the feelings of the men and how they handled the horrors of war. There was also plenty of WWII action.

There were some exceptional episodes, like the one where the US and German patrols meet in a town at Christmas where a French woman is looking for her missing baby after an assault. Then there was the episode where Saunders is stunned after a bomb explodes and he fuzzily tries to make it back to his side. And then there was the episode where...

I've only seen a couple of episodes, but so far I'm very impressed. The acting is first class, and the action sequences are extremely well done, without the necessity of the graphical content seen in Private Ryan. Am I right in thinking it's based on a true story? Top marks.

(BTW I didn't see any bad language Charles, did I miss a deleted post?)

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

Oh? Did you see the episode (about 3 weeks ago) about the medic? Or the one the week later about Bastogne?

I haven't seen them all, so maybe I missed something. We're proabably a few episodes behind the US over here in the 3rd world. What I have seen just didn't compare to the first 20 mins of Ryan, yet still managed to convey to horror and realism of combat.

quote:

I moderated it. (stuff/crud) used to be another word.

Strange that it didn't put the "Edited By Charles" thing

Thought that might have been it. Strange indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the series a couple of nights ago. This is some powerful stuff. If you liked Pvt. Ryan, Band of Brothers is for you. However, it is uber-real in some episodes (the medic episode and the attack on bastogne episode) and heart renching in others.

If it comes out on DVD, get it.