Night at the Movies - Dawn of the Dead

Guest $iLk

It actually wasn't too terrible. Extremely graphic (think skulls being ripped apart and grey matter spraying around). It's realistic gore as opposed to Blood Code Mortal Combat gore.

High points include a great soundtrack, a few very memorable characters (portrayed very well through acting), and quite a bit of humor basically wrought through stupidity of several characters.

After someone dies and comes back after you turn away from 3 different people doing this - you might want to catch on morons.

Anyway I recommend it if you don't mind gore, although I wouldn't count on you being scared at all as much as laughing. There are 1 or 2 kind of OMG parts which are scary, but for the most part the OMG stems from "That's gotta hurt pretty bad"

10/10 for acting and presentation

7/10 for non-stereotypical zombies... these guys act more like army ants

9/10 for music and dialogue.

9/10 overall.

Hey! This one actually had enough gratuitous head-exploding that it ALMOST fits my description of 'gore' =P

Seriously, though... this one isn't that bad at all. I sort of miss the sea of lumbering zombies that slowly, inexorably closed in on our heroes during the first DotD but I guess these ones will do. A MUCH better movie than 28 Days Later, IMO... but still borrows too much 'super zombie' from other recent zombie flicks. And what is with the 'virus' that keeps showing up in all these movies? Can't zombies just be evil bloodthirsty, brainhungry animated corpses from HELL any more? *sigh* A little mysticism next time, please. Also, this one loses the message that the last DotD had - about the dark side of consumerism and how capitolism turns people into mindless zombies intent on only one thing...

Anyhoo, SC don't see this one - It's pretty gross. All in all, it's an above-average zombie flick with lots of blood, guts, and heads exploding.

6.5/10

Best horror and zombie movie ever made. Crappy lines here and there but the gore and action makes up for it. Gonna watch this multiple times. Hehe, the lounge version of Disturbed's "Down with the sickness" was hilarious. Better than the original. This is what Resident Evil should have been, puts House of the Dead to shame. Horror fans, this movie is for you. I'm definately getting the director's cut on DVD. George Romero would have been proud of this movie can't wait for his zombie movie.

9/10

quote:

A little mysticism next time, please

Give me a break scrivener, this is a horror movie not a sci-fi movie. Wait for AvP or CoR for that if your seeking answers. If you say its an above-average horror movie then why give it a 6.5? Your review sucks.

I hate the stupidity factor in this movie. People have heard of all kinds of things because the movie is supposed to take place in RL - however the dummies have never heard of a zombie. They keep saying crap like "What are these THINGS!!!"

And eventually have to catch on to shoot them in the head. With the rate of infection quarantine is useless... although I'd have preferred to know how the initial outbreak occured.

Although in the first 5 minutes of the movie you see a bunch of muslims praying to Allah in Mecca... coincidence?

Outlaw: While I admit that the movie was *well made* it didn't really tickle me. To be quite honest, I'm looking forward to Shaun of the Dead (www.romzom.com) more than I was looking forward to this Dawn of the Dead remake. Sure this was a helluva lot better than 28 Days Later (Which I hated) but *still* isn't half as good as the campy classic Night of the Living Dead.

To better illustrate my point: If the movie were set during another time period, like the 50s, 60s, or 70s... and accompanied by lots of crazy meldramatic overacting... then the rating rises. Like 28 Days Later and Resident Evil, this one is *still* taking itself too seriously. Zombies are the stupidest and most 'not-scary' of all horror movie creatures and trying to give the movie a serious *this could happen within the realms of science and plausability* spin just makes it stupid. I'm talking about the script/storytelling. It's-not-interesting.

The average zombie movie is a 4/10... or lower... see above. Above average zombie movies include Dead Alive (Best_ever), Night of the Living Dead, or the *original* Dawn of the Dead. Hence, the 6.5... I'm not exactly running back to the theatre for a second viewing.

SC how in the hell could Holywood make a zombie movie you could watch? I'm not being flip but why would you want to see it? I do agree that we are going way over the top when it comes to sex, gore and violence in movies. Do I really need to see someone puke? Implying they are sick is just as effective. Oh yeah and Scrivener dont bring up Dead Alive again as you might get banned...SC HATES that movie.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Zombies are the stupidest and most 'not-scary' of all horror movie creatures...

See, I always thought zombies were the one of the most scary horror movie creatures. There's just something about the living dead that creeps me out to no end.

quote:

SC HATES that movie.

I can understand. Not a single one of my friends has been able to sit through the whole thing either... same goes for Peter Jackon's other two earliest works (Meet the Feebles & Bad Taste). Quite frankly, I will propose to any girl who giggles at the custard scene. Talk about one in a million... Anyhoo, I'll leave it at that.

Just saw Dawn of the Dead tonight.

I really liked it.

The beginning was definetely one of the best for a zombie movie ever, and the movie as a whole I thought was really cool. There were only a couple parts I thought were cheesey/a little too much. I won't go into detail, but a couple parts were either too typical or would've been cooler/creepier if they stoped the scene about 30 seconds sooner.

9/10