Night at the movies - HellBoy

Supreme Cmdr

OMFG!!! I went into this movie thinking it was going to be senseless gore (ala Blade II) etc and was pleasantly surprised. This movie is very good.

It was very, very good. And there are sprinklings of Ron Perlman's dry humor everywhere. The acting was top notch, the special fx...well, you gotta see them. Just bloody amazing and a LOT better than that XLG travesty.

Definitely going to see this one more time before it finishes its theatrical run.

I hope to see more Dark Horse properties come to the big screen.

10/10

Next up, Thomas Jane (another underrated actor) in The Punisher!!!

Just saw it tonight myself. I gotta say, it wasn't the pointless piece of crap I thought it would turn out to be. I thought it was a lot of fun.

It was very comic-booky, lots of cool action, and lots of cats. You can't lose with cats.

8/10

It LOOKED like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets Men In Black. Glad to see this is not the consensus. I want to see it too.

I only like lovey cats. Hate aloof cats and would just as soon strangle them.

Guest Grayfox

seen this one too. im glad they did a decent comic book to movie translation... unlike league of crap...

and ron perlman is the shiznit.

Wow, I really should have been the first to post on this but I've been soo dern busy (Finishing up a board game I've been working on for the last 4 years). Anyhoo, I have both good and bad things to say about Hellboy... ultimately, I was a little dissapointed.

The Good:

1. They got the look of the comic down PAT. The colors the cinematography the characters. Fan-freaking-tastic.

2. Ron Perlman is the PERFECT Hellboy. But, of course, he's great in anything he does.

3. Most loyal comic adaptation to date (Although I would argue that Hulk ties it in this category).

The Bad:

1. 30% story, 70% giant tentacle attacks. What is this, a hentai?

2. A poor, poor, poor, poor, poor script. About 1 hours worth of material inflated to 2 hours with goofy repetitive action scenes.

3. The PG-13 rating means a lot of the darker more sinister comic elements are out. No blood, no suggestive themes, no mature Hellboy commentary. He's HELLBOY for heaven's sakes, not PCBOY. Please, Hollywood, stop taming down our darker more sinister comics.

Ultimately, I give it a 7/10. Not as good as the Hulk, better than X-Men, on par with Spiderman.

Also, I do not hold very high hopes for The Punisher. I mean, the guy looks more like Max Payne than Frank Castle. He's not the big, gruff, scary monster of a man we've come to love in the comics. It really looks more like a modern Lethal Weapon than a Punisher movie. It's too bright and... sunny looking. And it's got John Travolta. That worries me. But maybe he'll pull a little more Pulp Fiction and a little less Broken Arrow this time around? Anyway, based on the trailers I've seen it just looks... and feels... totally wrong. Sure, I'll see it. But I dont expect much.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Not as good as the Hulk

wha??? wait i cant really comment on that one cause i fell asleep thru the hulk and missed most of it!

the hulk was crap... i feel bad for ang lee now.

quote:

Is it me or does the attitude of Hellboy based off the movie remind you a lot of Duke Nukem's personality

he kinda reminded me of a large version of wolverine attitude wise...