Night in front of the telly - Star Trek Enterprise

Supreme Cmdr

heh, I taped last week's episode and watched it early this morning.

Quite to my surprise, the episode was about a bunch of pirates who boarded the Enterprise and stole half their sh*it. I was laughing so hard during the battle with the marines and pirates, as I kept thinking of Resnig.

It all makes sense now

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two good episodes in a row? Can It be true? I am a Manny Coto fan from his work on Odyseey5 and it seems to me that Enterprise may be hitting its stride. Also finally an Orion slave girl! I see signs that this show is finally looking up. Any thoughts?

The original series often used the same actor in different roles (the most obvious being Mark Leonard as the Romulan commander, in "Balance of Terror," and then his long run as Spock's father) but I couldn't believe they'd try it with a main character from Next Generation. What a surprise to discover they'd decided to do a prequel with Data's papa (or grandpapa ... not sure if the timing is correct).

I'm still wondering if, somehow, Khan will make an appearance in part two.

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

I'm still wondering if, somehow, Khan will make an appearance in part two.

Do you mean the actor who played Khan or Khan the character? If it's Khan the character, sorry but in the star trek universe the Eugenics war was in 1990's or as the argument goes in the mid 21st century ending around 2059. Captain Jonathan Archer's great-grandfather was in North Africa during the Eugenics Wars. Khan and his troop were well in the sleeper ship, they escaped in at the end of the Eugenics war, during Capt. Archers time of 2154 up to when Kirk and his crew came across them.

Guest Fox__Trot

Thats the most disturbing thing ive ever read i mean i -watch- enterprise and i watch alot of trek but where did you learn that arhcers great-grandfather was in north africa during the eugencins wars?

but theres no problem pulling spiner inon enterprise because he looks erm human and yeah but anyone get the feeling he's more loreish ... ah well he's defintly a postive factor so far

season 4 is doing VERY well... dont screw it up now :)

quote:

In "Space Seed" it was clearly established that the Khan-led conflict occurred in the 1990s. However, in "Hatchery," Archer mentions that his great-grandfather fought in the Eugenics Wars (which would probably put them in the mid-21st century). How is Coto dealing with the chronology issue?

Like I said there is some debate on this timeline issue.

quote:

At the time "Space Seed" was written, the Eugenics Wars were inferred to be large-scale global conflicts. However, after the very different reality of the actual 1990s and are now generally described as much quieter conflicts, secret wars that occurred mostly in the shadows of the major conflicts and events of that decade with Gary Seven and his assistant being Khan's principal opponents.

In "Space Seed" Mr. Spock refers to the Eugenics Wars being Earth's "third world war". This statement has been quietly ignored, however, and in the Star Trek Universe, World War III is said to have taken place in the mid 21st century, ending in 2053.

Captain Jonathon Archer's great-grandfather was in North Africa during the Eugenics Wars. His battalion was evacuating civilians from a war zone when they came under attack. There was a school full of children directly between them and the enemy. If his men had returned fire, they might have hit it. So he called the commander on the other side and got him to agree to hold his fire long enough to evacuate the school.

I'm starting to lose interest. I miss the small personal stories that made TNG so great. The politics, relationships, and moral dilemmas seem to be sadly absent or in short supply. Enterprise season 1 seemed to be getting it right, then they suddenly switched to "Saving the universe every week" mode in Season 2 & 3. Meh.

I watch it every week, if only to see Jolene Blalock emote. This show saddens me sometimes, not because of any poor quality but because of its untapped potential.

There's a work of art that could be made here and instead we get politically correct space stories.

I enjoy it, oddly. Anyone think they'll make it seven years?

I thought this ep wasnt as good as the Augments eps but still interesting enough for me to feel this show may be hitting its stride. I truly hated ST:NG the first season. I thought and still think the Farpoint pilot was horrendous. For me the show hit stride when Tasha Yar got smoked by that oil slick thing. Not that I didnt like the character, quite the opposite but it resonated with me by exploring loss in a way that was rarely done on episodic tv.

Enterprise is beginning to explore some of the same emotional ground now. If only they could do something about the infusing the somewhat wooden Ensign Merriweather with some life, maybe get him laid or something...

Marvin, Brent Spiner also played Data's "father" Dr. Soong (sp?) on TNG. So it is only logical for him to be the great great grandfather. I mean how many times does the genetic pool hit that DNA sequence?

I've always liked Enterprise, I've heard from real trekkies that it's not cannon due to time issues and tech. And to that I say It's still a good show.

If you don't watch Enterprise, you won't see what old TOS players did in their younger days. Like T'Pau, who presided (will preside, I suppose) over Spock's wedding fiasco.

Next, I expect to see a young Vulcan making a name for himself in two ways:

[*]1. Uncovering the Romulan plot.

[*]2. Marrying an Earth woman named Amanda.

If somebody else accomplishes item 1, I'll be sorely disappointed. But I'll continue to watch, nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

Tried watching Firefly and thought it to be a trifle about space gunslingers..looked stupid to me but I only saw one episode and was in the dark about the backstory. As far as Enterprise goes I'm sad anytime we lose another genre series but truth be told although it was improving, it wasnt good enough.

I remember once my wife and I leaving a dinner party early to get home in time to watch the season premeier of ST:NG, you know the one with the Locutus of Borg ( I am convinced that that two parter was the second best ST movie behind the Wrath of Khan)Well I never left anything early to see Enterprise or Voyager. Oh well I still have Sci Fridays in the SciFi network...