Matinee at the movies - Spiderman2

Supreme Cmdr

First!!!!!

I was out at lunch and figured, why the hell not? So I went!!

OMG!! Just.go.see.it!!!

Everything you thought was good about the first movie, toss out and get ready to be blown away. Again.

And this time, the moral dilemna that Spidey suffers all through his comics, come through here very, very well. Quite frankly, I'm not surprised that they are making a third movie already.

The theatre was packed!! I guess Summer is really here.

Now I can go see it this weekend again, minus the eager anticipation!!

10/10

If you haven't seen Spider Man 2 yet, give yourself a good kick in the arse. SCs review was right on. EVERYTHING was better. The computer animation was spectacular. The fight scenes were great. The moral dilemma, hell, I almost started to cry I was getting so stressed from trying to decided what /I/ would do.:Grins:

I went to see it last night, I'll be going again to tonight. It's just that damn good.

10/10

Hmmm, our theatres (Carmike) have a frequent movie card. Not quite sure how it works but the rewards escalate from a drink to a popcorn to a free movie pass. Dunno if it starts over again or they make you wait longer for a better reward or what but yes, as many movies as SC sees, he needs one of those cards.

To try and pretend I'm being on topic the one review I read said that they had really outdone themselves. I really want to see this one.

Absolutely agree. FANTASTIC film. I daresay better than Hulk - and from me that's saying a LOT. It's really a shame that they botched up the computer game so badly.

Anyway, the movie gets a 10/10. Just - bloody - brilliant! But you can always expect nothing less out of Sam Raimi.

BTW, Pre-emptive strike on antiHulk commentary: Hulk was NOT boring. You're just a peabrained ninnywitted nincumpoop who dosn't appreciate movies that focus more on the DRAMA than EXPLOSIONS.

The Hulk was boring. I have a brain slightly larger than a pea and I love Ang Lee movies but the Hulk was a miss not a hit. I have watched Fellini fims sa well as Bergman and of course Kurosawa so I understand plotting and narrative and story,but to compare Spiderman2 to the Hulk is just wrong! I'm on my way out the door to watch it again(without the wife and the Evil One)

quote:

...have watched Fellini fims sa well as Bergman and of course Kurosawa so I understand plotting and narrative and story...

Well, shoot. I wasn't comparing The Hulk to the The Seventh Seal. Ingmar Bergman is, like, god. I just though The Hulk was an excellent if not near-perfect portrayal of the character. With the exception of the silly underwater ending, I thought it was simply fantastic.

Viewed Spiderman 2 the other evening and the assessment above was bang on. It was a chick flick for the first 90 minutes, mainly setting up the webslinger's loss of any kind of personal life. So, technically it stayed within the parameters of the early Graphic Novels, which was good but, I felt that too much time was spent dwelling on that one issue. Peter Parker never got any respect and all of us who have been a fan of Stan Lee know it all too well.

I guess this overstatement of the obvious was more for the benefit of the younger members of the audience. Not a problem.

The actor cast in the role of Doc Oc was perfect. They couldn't have matched it any better IMHO.

I give it a 10/10 just for the Elevated train scenes. I came close to blurting out loudly"ONLY IN NEW YORK!" when the passengers gingerly passed Spidey over their heads.

The only things that ruin any public viewing of good movies for me is, Jackasses who come to the theater drenched in heavy cologne and the even bigger jackasses who show up with a very small child or infant. *sigh* My movie going days are over. From here on out I'll just wait for the DVD release and enjoy the show at home on our 31" TV.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

The Hulk was boring

no kidding race... had to wake you up twice cause your snoring was bothering the theater patrons.

when race and i went to see the hulk (bless D&B's for the theater beer) i wasnt expecting drama... i didnt want to see drama. i wanted to see "hulk angry, hulk smash" when i look at hulk i dont see a cover boy for a romance novel, i see a doomsday device...

nuff said

as for spiderman 2, im waiting for my son to get back from his mothers so him and i can go see it together like we did the last one

Spiderman 2 was surely a sentimental movie wrapped around a blistering action center. It was nice to see Peter Parker fleshed out more the movie pivking right up where it left off, with a tormented guy carrying a weighty secret. It was very cool to see how they resolved that issue which I won't discuss because it would spoil it for people reading this thread.

Doc Ock, what can you say about this villain? He was excellent! He was the counterweight. He was what Peter might have been had he chosen another avenue. Afterall wasn't Octavius just a man that was coping with many of the burdens that Parker faces but choosing another course?

There were some parts of this flick that made me gittery. Some of it did drag a bit. I did see the kids looking around, fidgeting and actually becoming a little bored ... that however was remedied with some of the best fight scenes I have ever seen. The train part was worth the price of the ticket... no doubt.

Instead of dumbing down the comic book they have kept the mature themes of Spiderman intact and for that Raimi deserves supreme credit. He sticks with the story and doesn't sacrifice the humanity of Peter Parker for the flash and spectacle of Spiderman.

Kudos to Bruce Campbell... it's always nice to see him make an appearance in any film!

As for the Hulk... it took itself way too seriously and the payoff for sticking with the story was one of the worst endings in film. It's a shame too because for most people it was the CGI that killed it. For me it was the fact that Ang Lee dragged out the telling of Banner's story and struggles for 90 minutes and then gave you such a weak ending. You don't beat the audience over the head with "this is a man of many facets" for 90 minutes and then give us an ending like that. Amateurish at best. Ang Lee needs to see Spriderman 2 to see how you do it the right way.

Peace

First, I love the Hulk

Second, I SAW SPIDEY AT 12:01 AM Wednesday!!!! Then I saw it Friday at 5 pm. You tell me if I liked it?

BTW I have the game and it kicks arse just for the web swinging. BTW I have the Xbox game, not PC

quote:

BTW I have the Xbox game, not PC

That's what makes me so furious. PC users really got screwed this time. Read this.

I *do* have an XBox - but I just can't bring myself to play single player games of any nature on it. My computer has a 21" flat-screen monitor, dolby digital surround and, most importantly, a keyboard and mouse. That tiny little mono-audio TV of mine just can't compete. And people say consoles cheaper... *snic*

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

quote:

BTW I have the Xbox game, not PC

That's what makes me so furious. PC users really got screwed this time. Read this.

I *do* have an XBox - but I just can't bring myself to play single player games of any nature on it. My computer has a 21" flat-screen monitor, dolby digital surround and, most importantly, a keyboard and mouse. That tiny little mono-audio TV of mine just can't compete. And people say consoles cheaper... *snic*

I just realized this is the movie thread. I've re-routed my repsonse to the gaming forum.

My response

Check This out.

Really well done I thought, and I have yet to get the time to see this movie, but when I get a couple of hours, I will MOST definitely be seeing it.

Guest Grayfox

seen this one today with king arthur *shudders*

not as good as the first IMO... the action scenes were great, but if i wanted drama and inner struggles and crap, i would read a book.

even my 8 year old kid said when the movie was over "boy that wasnt as good as the first one"

dont get me wrong, i didnt hate the movie, i enjoyed it in a slightly better than average way, and im waiting to see the hobgoblin and lizardman in the 3rd one (cmon they threw hints all over the place)... i just hope that spiderman doesnt go the way of batman after the second movie.

1st 2 good... rest=bad.

7/10

on a good note, i did see a trailer for "the bourne supremacy" looks pretty damn good.

[ 07-13-2004, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

I don't know, for me this movie sucked. The first one was awesome, but this...

Some of the things that ruined it:

1. In the first movie it was all about spiderman, he is the guy with the web, and the moves. When did he become superman? What was it all about when he stuck his leg in front of the train? That was pure bull.

2. Also the train scene, when he finally remembered that he is spiderman and not superman and shot the webs to try to stop the train, did anyone notice that he was holding the ends of the webs in his palms and that they looked like plain old nylon rope.

3. Also the all infamous train scene, when the train stoped and he was about to fall, the hand reaches out and keeps him from falling, you can totally see the padding. What with the multi million dollar movie they couldn't make the suit better?

4. Again the train, when they carry him inside, oh soo sooooo cheesy, the only thing that was missing is the music of "we are the champions" and then the voices, "he is no older then my kid" and the kids giving him the mask "don't worry we won't tell" sucked.

5. When Dr. Octopus crashes in and they all say " You have to go through us" when did this movie turn from a super hero to some ....

6. Skipping all the way to the end, when he rescues the girl and they are kicking back on the web, you could totally see the plain rediculous nylon rope. Again, with such a budget, they couldn't digitally add that? As a matter of fact, they could have probably made it cheaper digitally and make it look like they are actually ON THE WEB instead of leaning against it with the glow of the moon reflecting off of the synthetic rope. LOL, what a joke.

6. "Go get them TIGER?" ROFL

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Sobak... you cant be serious...

There is nothing wrong with the train scene.

They dont look like Nylon Ropes.

"go get em Tiger" Is one of the most famous one liners in all of the Spider Man Mythos. Have you ever even read the comic?

Judging by your complains you honestly dont know the first thing about Spider-Man or what he has done in the Comic.

No, you're right, I haven't read the Spiderman comics, I'm just saying my opinion, that "Go get'em tiger" sounded extreemly cheesy, and when he sticks his foot out in front of the train, he is not supposed to be superman.