Night at the movies - I, Robot

Supreme Cmdr

I dunno. I have mixed feelings about this one. Sure, once again they took liberties with Asimov's book, but there was just something about this movie that just doesn't sit well with me. Its neither good nor bad and does have some moments, but its not all that and not indicative of a kick-ass Summer flick.

Don't get me wrong, it is watchable, especially if you are a Will Smith fan.

7/10

The only similiarities between Asimov and the movie was the three laws, plus maybe that flashback where the robot saves Will Smith and not the little girl-- Asimov wrote all kinds of stuff about robots caught in logical contridictions caused by the three laws logic.

I consider the movie to be inspiried by Asimov, not an adaptation of his work.

I liked the movie for the most part.

Well I just watched it, and I think it was the best movie of the year so far, bar none.

Really good story, great effects and simply the best portrayal of the future I have ever seen.

The blending of old and new tech. was extremely well done. Being a Chicagoan I especially liked the new Chicago skyline.

The scene with the huge Robot trucks on the freeway was so cool!!

10/10 from me.

Simply awesome.

quote:

Originally posted by Andergum:

Really good story, great effects and simply the best portrayal of the future I have ever seen.

You're really going out on a limb there Andergum

I've seen many good "noir sci-fi" "negative utopia" style movies out there. Too many to list off the top of my head.

Anyone else think "I, Robot" deserves this much credit?

I'm thinking about seeing it tonight...

It seemed that it relied a little too heavy on the book, I saw some similarities that were very close to being called exact. However these things have given me something to ponder about. I would post them, but I don't want to ruin it... PM me if you want a list.

The trailers in the theaters were misleading at first, but I decided to go anyway.

All in all, a good film. Not one that will be a blockbuster, but good enough to rent every once in awhile.

It could have been better if there were things (like SC said) that just didn't bother me about it.

I give it a 3/5

quote:

Originally posted by Chaoticmass:

The only similiarities between Asimov and the movie was the three laws, plus maybe that flashback where the robot saves Will Smith and not the little girl-- Asimov wrote all kinds of stuff about robots caught in logical contridictions caused by the three laws logic.

That saddens me, but I won't admit that I didn't expect it. Sometimes I wish that movie makers wouldn't make the story "better". Especially with classic novels such as "I, Robot".

I hate it when they try and create a movie from a CLASSIC book.

If they are going to make a movie from a classic book, they should try to stay as close to the book as possible.

Starship troopers SUCKED, and I am so afraid that this movie is going to be a MAJOR disapointment for me.

Then again, I am a scifi purist.

If you're gonna make a movie based on a VERY popular book, stick to the book, at least as much as technically possible.

Battlefield earth is another SUCKS the big one movie that I can think of, off the top of my head...

The problem with that is that I,Robot is a collection of short stories. Yes they connect to each other in strange ways, but they are seperate stories.

In anycase, they did alright, but it seems that they got too close.

Havn't seen this one yet, maybe tomorrow... but they'd better not screw up the Foundation movies like they've been screwing up all the other good scifi properties as of late. IMO, the Foundation series needs the LOTR treatment - not the I,Robot/Minority Report/Matrix/AvP/Paycheck treatment. That would just be a sin against the gods of moviedom.

Edit: Same goes for The Watchmen & Scanner Darkly. A damn shame they threw away the Charlie Kaufman script for the latter.

I just have no desire to see another movie with Will Smith doing Will Smith schtick. At this point, it's like he does an impersonation of himself in every film. Did I just say that? Oh no you didn't!

ROFLMAO

Thank god Bourne Supremacy opens this weekend.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

AVP AVP AVP AVP!!!!

Thats what I am waiting for! Yeah baby!!..

Then in september the ULTIMATE movie i have been waiting for.

Sky Capitan and the World of Tomorrow

quote:

AVP AVP AVP AVP!!!!

Thats what I am waiting for! Yeah baby!!..

Then in september the ULTIMATE movie i have been waiting for.

Oh man, I can't believe I didn't post about that yet. Some of my friends at the Art Institute went to a preview showing a few weeks ago. The unanimous consensus was that AvP was a steaming pile of crap. One said, and I quote: "If you took Freddy vs. Jason, and replaced those characters with Aliens and Predators... and replaced the kids with even worse no-name actors - but with one of them trying to be a black Ripley - then you have AvP. It hurt, Matt - it was like a physical pain."

Upon asking for a comparison to Alien 3 (which I consider the be the worst of the Alien movies by a long shot) they replied "Alien 3 is like Citizen f***ing Kain next to this crap."

Sorry, but I doubt it changed much in the month since that preview, especially since they only picked people for the focus group who thought the movie was the best thing since the invention of sex. Focus groups like that got us King Arthur and Catwoman.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked I,Robot never read the book, but now I see where Marvin gets his CC's name.

It was good and yes I agree it's Will Smith being like the guys he played before.

But I liked it. I don't try to beat the movie to revealing the twist. If I happen to think of what it could be and I'd be right, I'd be dissappointed. I liked it, but not the Spiderman2 movie I've seen twice which is the most I've say a movie in the threater.

6/10