LOST

Scrivener

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

quote:

fraXis:

He wasn't explaining black and white, he was explaining light and dark. Two different things.

I am aware of that. But I am from the "Deep South". Perhaps I am hypersensitive to such issues because that. I apologize.

No apology needed. A lot of people I talked since Wednesday automatically associated black and white with light and dark (from a non race color point of view of course). You need to be thinking of light and dark when watching Lost. Black and white VS light and dark will have very distinct meanings in future episodes of Lost.

quote:

fraXis

Going back to the dog, any thoughts Dr. Jack's encounter with the dog in part 1? [QB]
Sadly, I don't have EP1. I only watched the second episode because Scriv posted , Derek affirmed, and there was nothing else on at the time.

They are repeating Part 1 and 2 back to back tonight (Saturday night) on ABC. Be sure to check out Part 1.

quote:
The previews that I saw did not make it out to be a a spooky, supernatural show. The previews I saw only made it out to be a kind of "we have a murderer in our midst" show. While sometimes good I kinda like what "Lost" is turning out to be.

In that case, I guarantee you are going to enjoy the next six episodes.

Shawn

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Also note: In Pilot Part 1, one of gals on the show said "Slow down there, Flash" to one of the other guys. Unfortunately I already deleted that episode from my Tivo, but keep that in mind.

Very observant. Good Job. During the course of "Lost", everyone needs to observe and analyze every line of dialog because it will all have "meaning" at a later time. Especially lines such as "Slow down there, Flash". They may seem meaningless during the course of an episode, but they will add up over time. Damn, I think I am starting to sound like a fortune cookie.

Part 1 and 2 are going to repeat tonight on ABC. Please see if you notice anything else dialog wise from Part 1 that connects to Part 2.

Shawn

I thought the comic he was reading was an old Justice Society of America comic, you know the vintage JLA that was done in the 40's? I also know that there will be a logical non sci-fi explanation of the oddities we see each week. And lastly who says it is an island? Oh and Derek quit about the transceiver, the thing I focused on was how weird and unsettling the voice was..very creepy. One thing; I THINK i FIGURED OUT IS THAT THIS PLACE IS A MAGNET FOR PLANE CRASHES AND SHIPWRECKS! They will find multiple wrecks going back years. Man I love this show.

That might just be it, Massa. Who knows?

The Polar Bear in the comic and the *real* Polar Bear was just too much of a coincidence.

I was a little confused about the *other* transmitter running for 16 years (battery?), but the math makes sense.

The thing satates the number of transmissions. Let's say 1,533,533 times (not what was in the show, but I'm just making an example) and the message lasts 32 seconds. That's 49,073,056 seconds or 817,884.3 minutes or 13631.4 hours or 567.9 days or 1.5 years.

I needed a calculator for that. But I actually have mathematically inclined friends who can do that kind of math off the top of their heads. Or at least very accurate aproximates.

Ok I watched the tape. Concerning the recording. The english speaking computer generated voice states that it is "iteration 17294531" then gets up to about ~35 before they wuit overlaying the recording on the scene.

I watched tonight's episode.

just seemed like back story for the most part.

fraXis!!!!!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

The thing satates the number of transmissions. Let's say 1,533,533 times (not what was in the show, but I'm just making an example) and the message lasts 32 seconds. That's 49,073,056 seconds or 817,884.3 minutes or 13631.4 hours or 567.9 days or 1.5 years.

Trust me. It absolutely, positvely, 100% does not add up. It IS probably in the script and it DOES probably make sense; but I've watched that particular segment on TiVo almost four times now and the information is inconclusive for anyone wanting to rely on the math - rather than the script - to determine how they came up with 16yrs. Its like someone saying 2+30E+07 and the other person - without much thought - saying, ...oh yeah, thats nine

Unless I'm missing something here, all we have to attribute the 16 years is them concluding that it was 16yrs. I guess they didn't think whackos would be trying to do the math.

Unless I'm missing something.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

I have thought on that. I felt it odd that a white man was explaining to a black boy the difference between light and dark and didn't want to touch it.

LOL!!! I just thought he was just plain crazy.

Of course, in last night's episode, he goes and craft's a whistle. And the dog comes. Spooky.

Yeah, I admit it would very likely take a LOT more than 4-5 seconds to figure that out. But if Chavik's number is right, it does add up.

17,294,531 iterations

Each transmission lasts ~30 seconds

That's 518,835,930 seconds

OR 8,647,265.5 minutes

OR 144,121.092 hours

OR 6,005.05 days

OR 16.45 years

It just wouldn't be that interesting to see some characters standing around solving a math problem for 10mins w/o a calculator. But then again, maybe there's something about that Republican Guard guy that we don't really know just yet...

Yeah, I know all that; but you folks are still missing the point I'm making.

OK, simply put, how could they tell from the transmissions that each iteration lasts ~30 seconds? I only heard the computer say the number of iterations. Maybe thats what I'm missing because without knowing how long each one lasts, there is nothing to calculate. Thats what I keep saying that its either the script or I'm missing something that wasn't said. Then again, I missed the comic angle too.

I'm so glad I still have it on TiVo

The math does add up.

The voice counting misses the 1 the first time, but gets it the second and third.

So he says:

Sayid then estimates the length of the message to about 30 seconds (which pretty much anyone can do).

So that's all you need:

((((17294533*30)/60)/60)/24)/365 = 16.452181316590563165905631659056 = ~16.5 years.

The math is very easy, but doing it in your head can be discussed.

My general theory is either a sentient Island (like pointed to before) or a rip in time (polar bear from the ice age, big animals possibly extinct now), not any elaborate theories yet, but I'll get there

Oh great, we keep going around in circles. The math DOES NOT add up unless you KNOW what the intervals are. Now, I have no idea where you folks are getting this ~30 seconds interval from, but unless I missed it from the scene, its not there. THATS what I'm saying and have been saying all along. Without this particular constant (the duration), its just a load of rubbish.

Now, I want to know WHEN in that scene did Sayid actually say that it was ~30 secs intervals?

aha!! Thank you!! We can all go home now. I clearly missed that and I can't imagine why these folks simply didn't understand wtf I was asking. Him listening to the beeps intervals on the transciever won't tell him squat. Now if the intervals he's talking about is the duration of the repeating message and each repeat is ~30 secs long, thats a whole different story.

Thanks alex.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

aha!! Thank you!! We can all go home now. I clearly missed that and I can't imagine why these folks simply didn't understand wtf I was asking. Him listening to the beeps intervals on the transciever won't tell him squat. Now if the intervals he's talking about is the duration of the repeating message and each repeat is ~30 secs long, thats a whole different story.

Thanks alex.

Man, I'm getting pretty annoyed at having to wait a WEEK between episodes. I just want to watch the whole thing back to back. Stupid Tivo cut off just as the bald guy watches the dad and his kid walk on the beach with the dog, so I missed the bloody preview for next week

Oh the anticipation! Ai!

Phooey, alexhead beat me to it.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

The preview for next week looks TRULY wicked!!!

That it does!

Back to the comic book.

The Good Guys: The Flash (that is The Flash right?) and the other Justice league guy; their speech balloon is in white. What I suppose is the bad guy; his speech ballon is in black with white lettering.

Back to last week. First episode: Black father comes up on japanese woman and she buttons her shirt. This episode only one suspicious leaf rustling and black dad runs away and comes up on japanese woman topless.

First episode: Creepy bald guy asks black kid if he wants to know a secret. This episode black kid tells dad about the secret. But we don't know the secret yet.

I am so glad the dog is light. I would hate to have a evil dog running around.

Bald guy blowing the whistle: Looks like he set up camp and the scene gave the impression he had been there a while so the dog coming to him wasn't spooky to me.

However, that last scene Scriv was talking about the creepy bald guy was looking pretty evil himself. Much like the bald bad guy in the comic.

I think I have it figured out... they're all dead... and the island is some kind of afterlife. Some level of hell. They're LOST SOULS. That would explain the flashbacks... and also the crazy invisible monster thingie. Not to mention the not-quite-dead father...

Just a hunch.