LOST

Scrivener

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

I think I have it figured out... they're all dead... and the island is some kind of afterlife. Some level of hell. They're LOST
SOULS.
That would explain the flashbacks... and also the crazy invisible monster thingie. Not to mention the not-quite-dead father...

Just a hunch.

I've kept quite on this since I haven't been watching it myself but the talk around here in my neck of the woods was just that. Explains why in the begining someone was in a wheel chair when prior to the flight and then after the crash didn't need it. Makes sense, although he could have been faking for whatever reason. The monster may not be a monster after all but their time of judgement. Hmmmm... Kind of reminds me of this movie about a military flight crew downed in the desert and one by one they disappeared or was it a movie? It might have been a twilight zone episode? Damn, I can't remember.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Kind of reminds me of this movie about a military flight crew downed in the desert and one by one they disappeared or was it a movie? It might have been a twilight zone episode? Damn, I can't remember.

You remember right. It was a twilight zone episode,and a damm good one at that.Gonna have to do research to find the correct episode.

However,per the previous query,everyone on the island being dead DOES make sense.

Guess we just have to wait and see.

They aren't dead. Can't be. Then the dead people in the fuselage would be double dead. The unborn child would be ummm half dead?

This one was quite spooky. I loved it.

At first I thought the Island tried to kill Jack the doctor but Mr. Locke saved him. Then Jack found water, the tail section, and his father's casket all in one fell swoop.

Was that casket empty? My reception was bad and I didn't get a tape this week because my parents had to get a new electric meter installed.

Yes, the casket was empty.

Now keep in mind that there are a virtually unlimmited number of religious views on afterlife and death. I havn't really been able to peg any specific one to LOST (yet) but then it could have invented it's own as well - as many other movies in past have. Maybe the island is some kind of stopover point. The question isn't "are the others double dead" but "what is so special about the 'living' that they havn't moved on yet?" It seems to make sense - and the way the show is constructed only seems to confirm that. But then again - maybe they are just stranded on an, ahem, magical island. IMO, that would be the stupid way out, and I think the writers are beyond doing something that obviously silly.

And you also have to account for the name of the show - which, and especially in instances like this, has multiple meanings.

Okay, let's try this for a plot line:

A huge alien mothership goes around collecting species for close observation with simulated biospheres for each specie's homeworld. These guys in lost got caught up in this scooping action. They are being observed by these unknown aliens. The creature in lost is actually an introduced alien from one of the other biospheres to see how the humans would react and handle it. Hey, it's TV expect it.

I was thinking they were dead too, and sort of living out something they really wanted. As for the dead people on the plane, they are still alive. Like the black lady said when the "Party of 5 guy" was giving her his condolences and she said he's not dead. Doesn't explain the polar bear though.

quote:

Originally posted by echo:

I was thinking they were dead too, and sort of living out something they really wanted. As for the dead people on the plane, they are still alive.

Oh, you evil, evil woman. Quit making sense.

quote:

Like the black lady said when the "Party of 5 guy" was giving her his condolences and she said he's not dead. Doesn't explain the polar bear though.

I think I'll just wait for "them" to tell me the story.

quote:

I was thinking they were dead too, and sort of living out something they really wanted. As for the dead people on the plane, they are still alive. Like the black lady said when the "Party of 5 guy" was giving her his condolences and she said he's not dead. Doesn't explain the polar bear though.

Wow, that sorta makes sense. "What makes you think they're dead?" Good job, Echo. As for the polar bear - the boy was reading a comic about it just a before it happened...

What I don't understand is why they didn't keep it to eat. Maybe they were still assuming they'd be rescued.

Just saw this over at AVAULT

quote:

Good news: Ratings for Lost are high, and ABC has decided to allow for a full season of the show to run. (They've ordered 9 more episodes, bringing the total to 22 for the first season.)

Who knows where it could go from there, but it's a hit, and things are looking up for the best new show of this TV season.

It's also apparently a pretty damn expensive endeavor. The pilot episode reportedly cost 14 million, while individual episodes are running 3 to 4 million.

well they found another set of light and dark stones on the dead in the cave... (counting the referance to it in the backgammon game) and now we have the survivors split into two groups...

Actually I though this was a good episode. It seems like a lot of the mystery centers around Locke.

And in reference to the crash,if the tail section breaks off,and the nose section apparently breaks off,leaving just a part of the center fuselage,how in the heck is anybody going to survive that?

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

Charlie's personal growth almost gave me the sniffles.

Absolutely. It was a really good episode and I believe its the turning point where Charlies becomes a stronger character.

Locke is, well, just plain weird. So what else is new, right? Thats Terry's predominant mantra in movies.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

Sayid was hit by......the french chick!

Don't make me come over there, man. Thats not funny.

I'm working on a theory. I retract my earlier agreement in reference to everyone being dead.

This is a reoccuring theme in SF novels / short stories.My personal favorite is Philip K Dick's 'A Maze of Death'.

Basically I think the survivors of the plane plane crash are in a computer simulated environment,possibly as a result of deep sleep hybernation in a interstellar voyage or other simulation.

In this case the 'island' is the computer, in total (or maybe not so total) charge of whats is going on.The reference to 16 years could be to a disaster of some type that required survivors to enter deep sleep to survive.

Since Locke and Jack seem to be the leaders, maybe they are the leaders on the ship as well.

Well, just an idea and admittedly not totally fleshed out.Guess we won't know for sure until the last show.

I missed last nights episode because I was exhausted and passed out on the couch - only to wake up at 2:15am wondering when it was going to start.

And my Tivo is full it seems, since it didn't tape it. Anyone know if its airing again? I seem to recall that ABC sometimes aired the episode on the weekend or something.