New Fall 2002 Shows

Supreme Cmdr

I have a list of The Fall 2002 releases (new and old) I am looking at catching. I caught Fastlane last night and liked it a lot! Mindless fun!!

code:

Fastlane 09/18 FOX 9pm

Firefly 09/20 FOX 8pm

John Doe 09/20 FOX 9pm

Law & Order: Criminal Intent 09/21 NBC 9pm

CSI: Miami 09/23 CBS 10pm

JAG 09/24 CBS 8pm

Haunted 09/24 UPN 9pm

The West Wing 09/25 NBC 9pm

CSI 09/26 CBS 9pm

Without A Trace 09/26 CBS 10pm

Robbery Homicide Division 09/27 CBS 9pm

Hack 09/27 CBS 10pm

Boomtoom 09/29 NBC 10pm

Alias 09/29 ABC 9pm

Birds Of Prey 10/09 WB 9pm

24 10/29 FOX 9pm

On the syndicated front, I didn't know anything about

code:

Adventure Inc (Michael Biehn) Week of 09/30

John Woo's - Once A Thief Week of 09/30

Starhunter (Michael Pare) Week of 09/09

..until I read about them in TV Guide

Did anyone catch Starhunter? Whats it like? And who the heck has these shows anyway?

[ 09-30-2002, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I saw "Fastlane" and enjoyed it too but am careful to file under the guilty pleasure category. A fusion of Miami Vice and Fast and the Furious. Hell , they even stole the Phil Collins

tune made famous in Miami Vice during one sequence.

I'm interested in Firefly but honestly it looks awful. Hopefully I'm wrong and Josh Whedon can pull another one outta his ass ala Buffy.

Hack has Hackeneyed written all over it I guarantee it will be cancelled before Christmas.

Most of the lineup looks to be the same regurgitated paplum the networks churn out year after year. Like ER? Check out Presidio Med. A CSI

fan ? you'll love Without a Trace. Blah , blah ,blah. Thank God for HBO.

I do feel Birds of Prey with Dina Meyer from Starship Troopers has promise. John Doe looks interesting and the New Twighlight Zone has Pen Densham writing scripts , he of the Outer Limits and that dear readers is a good thing. Me? I'm waiting for the season premier of The Shield , IMO

was the most captivating hours of tv last year. Until then I'll just keep the old dvd revved and ready to go. Tonites features Changing Lanes and

the restored Lawrence of Arabia. That'll keep me busy for a while.

BTW SC, Starhunter is a Canadian sci-fi effort that has some similarities to the First Wave. It lists 2000 as the original air date but is only now being aired in syndication in the US. My understanding is the have two seasons in the can.

Pare stars as Dante Montana a bounty hunter looking for his abducted son when he discovers that humanity is threatened. Haven't seen it listed on any of our local channels (Pgh,Pa)

The show has a couple of fan based websites you may want to check out.

firefly...wasn't too bad. but it ain't something I will make a mental note to watch.

Didn't watch John Doe...

JAG...can't believe it's still on. Always liked that show....and the major oooo....

she is all 9 reasons to watch JAG... the tenth is it's a good show.

I have never actually seen. Most those shows I mention are things I've turned the t.v onto by accident...but I've never come across 24.

Fastlane was alright enough to keep on. Though I generally don't like cop shows.....ALA NYPD blue, ain't that show just terrible?

I want to see Boomtown once...see what it's like. If it is sorta like third watch, should be good. Third watch is alright...was better in first few seasons though. or First season.

Firefly was alright - but like you said, not something I will watch religiously. Its like what a movie about Hans Solo would be like. Except that this space craft is a transport - and has NO weapons. So, don't expect any type of space combat scenes. That was a downer for me, somewhat.

John Doe was excellent!! Its like The Pretender but more fast paced and less surly. Definitely going to program Tivo for this one. It could replace The X-Files as a cult favorite.

Ill have to give John Doe a try.

ah the Xfiles..I remember a bunch of friends gathering around in the room all lights off...hoping that maybe this was a cancer man episode.

I guess the idea not to give their ship weapons is because they probably felt that they could add nothing new to space combat that hasn't been seen and they can concentrate their budget on other things.

remember space above and beyond? i actually liked it. Especially the first Pilot episode. Was a little younger then so it may have appealed to me more so than adults. Probably why it was cancelled.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

remember space above and beyond? i actually liked it. Especially the first Pilot episode. Was a little younger then so it may have appealed to me more so than adults. Probably why it was cancelled.[/QB]

That was the BEST series. I don't know why no one else liked it.

I loved that show. I was very disappointed to see it cancelled. Always hoped it go into syndication,

you know maybe someone will "Shuffle the deck and deal the Wild Cards" again. That Col. with the nipple on his neck was real cool.

As said by the SC about "John Doe":

quote:

Its like The Pretender but more fast paced and less surly.

That's EXACTLY what I said to a friend after I watched it. I like it.

I missed Firefly, but I guess I shouldn't have been worried about it.

Is LAO: Criminal Intent picking up any? I've watched random bits of it, but it didn't ring that well with me, as much as the original and SVU did.

Anyone watch CSI: Miami tonight? I'm not sure what to think...especially with two former NYPD Blue actors in it.

Edit: Ah yes, Space: Above and Beyond. One of Fox's early crowning glories. I miss thee.

[ 09-24-2002, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: XenoZohar ]

quote:

remember space above and beyond?

Probably one of the better Sci-Fi shows that's been made, really. I think the only thing that bothered me about it was why the Marine Corps would send highly trained fighter pilots in as grunts every other episode... it was one of those things that just seemed to defy logic... it would be like giving a bunch of F-14 pilots M-16s and sending them in to fight as a rifle squad. Sure they might be able to handle the mission, but why the heck would you send them??

quote:

Probably one of the better Sci-Fi shows that's been made, really. I think the only thing that bothered me about it was why the Marine Corps would send highly trained fighter pilots in as grunts every other episode... it was one of those things that just seemed to defy logic... it would be like giving a bunch of F-14 pilots M-16s and sending them in to fight as a rifle squad. Sure they might be able to handle the mission, but why the heck would you send them??

Well u know the USMC, "We do more with less" including using officers trained to fight as a grunt if need b. Remember, "Every Marine a rifleman" including officers. Another possibility would b that during the war a lot of casualties among the enlisted Marines were high that they had no choice but to have their officers fulfill the grunt missions.

[ 09-24-2002, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

quote:

Colonel McQueen was a tank too? Or did you mean cooper hawk...the bad boy

Both. Personally I like Cooper Hawkes better than the other characters. You got a tank that's bred for war and will stop at nothing until the last chig and silicate have been annihilated. The Colonel and Hawkes definately make a dangerous pair of Marines.

SA&B also showcased what's in store for future military technology developments. Like the new super replacement for salt peter, demonstrated in the episode where Vansen will do anything to call home, and the best idea a sailor(!!!) can come up with to reliquish his place in line is a bowl of strawberries! Certainly a far cry from the Navy of today

[ 09-24-2002, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Litvyak ]

quote:

Originally posted by Outlaw:

Firefly to me was alright but really needs improvement. That rust bucket definately needs some weapons to survive space combat. Show reminded me of Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop. Anybody else notice this?

Yep. Well, the commercial at least. I heard "girl in a box", and Melphina popped into my head...

quote:

Originally posted by Litvyak:

quote:

remember space above and beyond?

I always wondered about that too. I would have expected em to take those fighters and do bombing runs to complete their missions for the most part.

Also, McQueen rocked. Remember Chiggie von Ricktophen? That episode rocked....

Is SAAB being played at all anymore?