Night at the Movies: Saw

Guest $iLk

10/10 psychological thriller... I haven't been this misled since the first time I watched the original Scream.

Great directing, and it's got a major "oh $hit" factor that comes up as it leads you along... and it keeps you on the edge of your seat during certain parts of the movie.

I wholeheartedly recommend this.

Well, it's kind of its own beast. It's similar in psychology to Se7en, but it's not as disturbing graphically.

For the record I didn't really like Se7en, but this movie was excellent in it's directing, and I would recommend it to anyone.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I thought they said this movie had gore in it? Thats why it dropped off my radar.

Yeah, that's what I thought - that it was supposed to really push the R rating. Well I'll find out in about another hour. Hope it's at least somewhat disturbing.

Ok, so I just got back from the show. I'm actually pretty impressed. The film tells a very good story - many kudos to first time writer/director James Wan. It may even be safe for you SC, it's a little more tame than Seven I think.

As per the norm, critique points are as follows:

1) The two main actors are pretty mediocre in the majority of the 'room' sequences. But it could have been much worse - at least they did a very passable job.

2) Slightly too much exposition in the end montage. Most movies blow it - giving either too much or too little information at the end. SAW errs in the same way The Ring did - it should have let you figure it out yourself without the 'punchline' montage.

3) I thought this was supposed to really push the R rating. Maybe I've become spoiled by the advent of unrated DVDs - but I was expecting way more gore than I got. It's not even close to the level of Dawn of the Dead (which I wasn't very keen on despite all the impressive gore). Basically, the camera cuts away from or speeds past anything really shocking/interesting. This transgression could be forgiven if there is an Unrated DVD release in the near future.

Oh yeah, and we got to see the trailer for Rob Zombies 'The Devil's Rejects'... aka, House of 1000 Corpses 2. I just about jumped out of my seat cheering when Sid Haig showed his ugly Captain Spalding clown face. Obviously, the rest of the crowd wasn't horror-savvy enough to know what they were seeing, as I was cheering alone (wouldn't have been that way if I had gone Friday, I can garauntee it). Can't wait for that one to come out in theatres - or for my House of 1000 Director's Cut. Nevertheless, I definately got my moneys worth tonight.

8/10

I also enjoyed this flick. I just thought the ending was extremely contrived. The "twist" is entertaining enough but we never get enough of the villain to really empathize with what it is this person is doing, or for that matter feel apathetic about it. I know that when I bought the ticket the girl said, "oh you two are going to like this, it really makes you think," but I gotta say there was never really enough information for you to have said, "oh... I know," nah... you just think "oh sh*t," and then think, well I understand the motivation but DO I CARE? Not really. The villain is so inventive and original in the methods employed, the reasoning is sophisticated but what do we actually invest emotionally in this person? Nothing.

I don't know, I think this could have been done so much better and it just felt like a GIGANTIC cop-out at the end. Like I said, you think... "oh," but THAT'S IT.

For getting the twist halfway right (who you think is doing it versus the reality of the situation) this movie gets 5/10 right off the bat. For some sick imagery (sp?) and the best use of a public restroom I have ever seen it gets another point. Finally for the irony of the ending (not the reveal but what the characters that are imprisoned end up doing when it truly isn't necessary) it gets an additional point.

This movie could have been SOOOOOOO much better. I think that the writers got bored or lazy. It's a shame this could have been a solid 10/10 but in the end it's a bit flat... 7/10 is my score.

Peace