Night at the Movies - War of the Worlds

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

I think if they cut out the last scene and just had a blank screen with text that said "And then Bazooka-wielding Jesus came from the sky and smote the aliens" it would be equally spontaneous and random and probably more satisfying.

ROFL!!

yeah,exactly..

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Ok, I have seen it Twice now. I wanted to post this after my first viewing but gave the weekend for people to see it first.

This movie has the Biggest plot hole of all freaking time in it. It stands out really bad the first time. But the second time when you have already seen the eye candy it becomes just pitiful.

An Alien race that is powerful enough to cross space, send ships in advance and harvest the blood of Humans for plant food... Would sure as heck understand basic concepts of HAZMAT. How many years did they wait around before attacking? At one point a million years is suggested. Its also pointed out that we were under observation for a long time. In all that time burying their ships, waiting for the time to strike they never did any biology studies? They never studied the germs etc???

Its completely and utterly ridiculous. I mean *Completely* ridiculous.

Furthermore.. If it was a *million years* that they burried their machines or at least hundreds or thousands.. Are they really goling to attack the earth with thousands of year old technologies? let alone a million year old???

The origional book made sense. The martians world is dying, they roll in en masse and get whiped out because they had no choice basically.

In this case are we to believe that there is no mother ship? or that they wont just send more? or that they wont get a hazard suit and try again??

Why stick to the end of the story and totally go off on some crazy path for the beginging? Why not have it be the marians after all? Maybe they all live underground there and finally got their act together to attck us and move in or something.

Anything would be better than the back story they went with.

Also.. Robbie living is just plain stupid.

quote:

Originally posted by DeepFreeze:

I think if they cut out the last scene and just had a blank screen with text that said "And then Bazooka-wielding Jesus came from the sky and smote the aliens" it would be equally spontaneous and random and probably more satisfying.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Guest Grayfox

quote:

I agree completely with Hellbinder. I was very disappointed. This movie is a good example how technical prowess can't compense lacking substance, coherence & plausibility.

In need of mammal's plasma used as fertilizer ? Wasn't very smart to wait so much time observing humans wiping out a fauna who contained many mammals sharing up to 98% of human genes. Maybe Pfizer or Monsanto could give them a hand in biotech and GM seeds...

Tripods making tuba noises ? What for ? Do they communicate by sound ? Very sophisticated. Does their machinery behave like old damp locomotives ? Very futurist. Do they have to scare their enemies with sound in the pure style of 17th century army drummers ?

Microbes or germs killing an entity supposedly million of years old able to visit outer worlds ? In 1885, Pasteur created the first vaccine after identifying organisms with simple optical microscopes. Since then we know that million of creatures, humans included, die each year due to the induced diseases. These aliens must have buried their tripods just after the Earth cooled down enough, but just before microbes & viruses appeared. Wow, must have been quite a tight timeframe. I guess these aliens were watching the wrong channel all the time till they invaded...

The scene I liked the most was the shot of the little girl screaming, taken through the hole in the windscreen of a wrecked hummer. Pure Hitchcock. Could'n refrain a laugh. Then, the way she got grabbed and looked at by the tripod (did'n know that they suffered nearsightedness), I thought that the only missing character was King-Kong...

I simply can't believe that it's the work of the same guy who made Schindler's list. Dunno, maybe that Spielberg's stake in Dreamworks makes him now more interested in $ than artwork...

thank you Mr Wizard for the history lesson. its a friggin movie... who the hell cares???

on that note, everything rocked... the only reason i give it a 9 instead of 10 is because of how the little girl gets on the nerves... even my kid said upon exiting the theatre "boy that little girl was annoying"... couldnt stop laughing.

9/10

piss off with the history and have fun... thats what movies are made for.

Nomad- the aliens in this movie were after our water. They planted the tripods on the planet knowing they would eventually return to collect the resource and may need to do some exterminating. The red weed is used to collect the water. It's actually the same kind of story I would have done.

I agree about the whole micro-organisms thing. It dosn't make sense no matter how you try to justify it. Microorganisms are the most plentiful and versatile form of life in the universe.

My major complaints are with Spielbergs storytelling - he always errs on the cheery heroic side of things. With a few minor tweaks (amounting to maybe 30 seconds of altered footage), I could have made the movie seem far more gritty than it is.

But like I've said, in 20-30 years, I swear I'll do it right... even if it's called something else. I want to see Earth loose - just once.

Thats one thing I had a problem with. People who never read the book, would have *NO* idea that they were actually after our water and what significance the Red weed played. Heck, there was a part where Tom was looking at the weed, but it was never explained. I suppose Spielberg just assumed everyone read the book.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

But like I've said, in 20-30 years, I swear I'll do it right... even if it's called something else. I want to see Earth loose - just once.

gotta remember that one. i love "humanity gets screwed" movies... loved armegeddon, loved day after tomorrow, loved the core... how about 10-20 years?

8/10 from me.

Loved the entire movie except for the ending. I had a whole group of teenagers sitting in front of me and at the end they all pretty much said in unison "that was stupid".

Ah, well. Everything else was pretty good.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

in the book they are martians and to my knowledge they did not plant the tripods here way in advance.

But i could be wrong..

Finally I have seen the movie,and it was very stirring in the first half of the movie(especially the scene when the alien machines devastate the city from which the ferry starts,and then all these screams and lights and corpses...I was being flooded this first half of the movie without any pause with adrenaline).

The feeling of despair was so tangible,it was almost frightening (IMO).But I guess also this heavily relies on the big screen and the surround effects in the cinema(and on the great acting by Dakota Fenning and Tom Cruise).On your normal screen in the living room,without surround sound and a screen size of merely 20" it wouldn't have been that fascinating I suppose.

quote:

Tripods making tuba noises ? What for ? Do they communicate by sound ? Very sophisticated. Does their machinery behave like old damp locomotives ?

Maybe not realistic,but important as you could tell by these noises that again 1 of the alien machines would appear,thus making it more dreadful IMO.

And about the quite bad last half of the movie:I was very happy about that,because if the horror had been going on like in the first half of the movie,I probably wouldn't have watched the movie to the end,it would have been too much for me.

I'd give it a rating of 8/10.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Actually, it would be better if both sides lost in this case because each species has their own unique nasty little microbes.