Night at the movies - Fantastic Four

Cruis.In

I'll say that what makes this movie worth seeing is the relationships. So you think the guy playing Reed Richards is a little wooden? Guess what, Reed Richards IS a little--no, a LOT--wooden. He was missing something that made the comic book what it is, and that's the problem-solving, confidence, and natural leadership that he normally has when stuff's on the line. He only had it in the last parts of the movie, but I don't know why it couldn't have been there earlier.

Chiklis is the soul of the movie, and I actually felt like he did some of the best acting there. Johnny Storm was pitch-perfect, as was the relationship between him and Ben. Jessica Alba did the one thing that Sue does best, and that's being the conscience and the emotional compass. She's looking out for people.

Doom was disappointing to me just because he's supposed to be more aristocratic, and more of a classic villain. His dialogue suggested (I agree) more Green Goblin than world-conquering dictator from a long aristocratic line known for its utter contempt for anyone not from the upper classes. (Apparently Hollywood can't stop beating on Corporate America for more than five minutes, so of course we couldn't have Doom be the actual kind of villain that he is.)

I give it a 7/10 if Hulk is a 5, Spiderman (either of them) is a 9, and Batman is a 10.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

lets not forget X-men and X2. Batman is a great film but it is more "Super detective ninja" than a Superhero flick.

i would say that Spider man 2, and the X-men films are on pretty equal footing.

Then I would put the F4, Then Spider man one is about that equal.. then the Hulk,,,, then DD and Elektra.

Batman is its own thing entirely imo. At least the new one is. Batman is more like indiana Jones, or star wars. It has removed itself from the super Hero flick into lead character action adventure.

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

lets not forget X-men and X2. Batman is a great film but it is more "Super detective ninja" than a Superhero flick.

Batman is not a superhero.

[ 07-11-2005, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

haha...

I never read FF4 comics, did you scriv? anyway I'd go with Zane's review if I was a fan who read the comics when I was younger or something. Adults still read comics? (not in our culture)

I think Zane you have to remember that if you are saying Reid had a leadership ability from the comics that since this is the first movie and shows their origins that he will likely later develop it and like you said, coming down near the end of the movie (final fight scene) he showed them.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

can we trust anyone who liked the hulk?

When have any of you ever trusted my nazi-like taste in movies?

You've just been getting lucky lately is all.

LMAO!!!

Hey, I liked the Hulk too. Anyway, what I hate about this movie is that Sue is so friggin young. That I just hate, no offense to Alba, but I rather see someonewith a little age. She still looks like some HS kid.

I don't go to movies that look like they have no meat and by what Sciv says I'm glad. Heck I haven't even seen Batman and I wish I had the money, but I can wait.

All right everybody, THAT'S IT! I just got tickets off Fandango and I am seeing the next show tonight.

I am a fan of the comics(I still have them and if I had the disposable time and income, I would read them today Cruis.in) and I did enjoy the Hulk. In fact I have Hulk comics also, I have the DVD and I think that I will watch it again(Scriv I'm just checkin' the fools with ya brother ) just so some of you can rake me over the coals about it!

Just so you all know how riled this thread got me, I've been a shut in(besides work) for the last three years or so and I am going to brave the cruel world alone just so I can come back and throw down with some authority!

In the meantime "be excellent to each other and PARTY ON DUDES!

I've seen it now and here's what I think if anybody cares:

I'll keep it simple, too major a departure from the origin and characters(Doom and Ben Grimms wife). I did enjoy the movie somewhat, particularly the representation of powers and the overall personalities of the characters. Nevertheless, the whole time I kept thinking: This isn't Doom, this is not Doom!

As for the lack of action mentioned by several people, let's remember that previous first super hero movies had to deal with origins.

It was ok, but I wish it had been better. Should have had Sam Raime do it, or someone who loves the Fantastic Four as much as he loves Spiderman.

Here is a link to a review that I think nails what I am trying to say.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

This isn't Doom, this is not Doom!

exactly! now... imagine Jeromy Irons in the roll, or hell even alan rickman would of been pimp