Night at the movies - Fantastic Four

Cruis.In

finally I get to do a night at the movies! Did I get the topic header right?

My rating (like any1 cares) is 7/10

It was ok. To me while this and batman are different films it still isn't so fun to watch as Batman.

Since I am not a major movie critic, I can't point out the complicated stuff.

I can say, it was never cheesy or childish and it didn't have overly bad screenplay.

That being said the fantastic four don't do much, and it's just rather simple.

It's a special fx extravaganza. And there's quite few scenes where they go the all out. The bridge scene, ending scene.

So I guess you have to like it for what it is!

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

finally I get to do a night at the movies! Did I get the topic header right?

heh, you sure did.

I'm gonna go check it out this weekend. If you gave it a 7, looks like I'm in for the long haul.

And just to let you know. It's doesn't fall into the category of bad comic book movie. Revealing what I mean will reveal spoilers. You'll see what I mean.

Suffice to say there is something you can take away from the movie. Though the something is not as deep as what was put forth in Batman. NOR was it explored as much.

It's rather short too, this movie could have benefited from being 2:30 hours long. or 2:20 minutes. Because at 1:45 minutes and you wind down from 1 hour 35 minutes... taking into account the introduction etc...

So in effect, not enough time was there to develop some of the good points of the movie. Such as their coping with the new powers, which is briefly explored.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Rottontomatoes has it at 24% right now.

There is just no way that this movie can be as bad as they say. It makes no sense. This has to be a case where the they have been waiting for an excuse to pan a flick and are taking their shot.

Guest $iLk

Everyone I've talked to says you have to forgive the writers because they stray away from many primary elements... but Spiderman did a little (lot) also.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Ok, I am now officially pissed off....

I just got back from FF4 and i cant even begin at all even a little to understand what the HELL the reviewers are smoking. I can understand one or 2 reviews that are a little critical but this is by far the worse case of mass unjustified slamage i have ever seen.

This is a *Quality* and i mean *QUALITY* Comic book movie. They do a great job of introducing the characters. heck Doom even grew on me and i liked the guy (as a villan) by the end. This was so much like FF4 Comic that its not even funny.

Tim Story and the writers did a flat out MASTERFUL job of capturing the dead on feel of a FF4 issue. Seriously. I totally loved the script and the banter between the vaious characters. imo its the best by far for any *comic book* movie that was trying to be a *comic book movie*.

Jonny Storm, and the Thing clash perfectly through this entire flick. Sue Storm was a lot better than i was expecting. The guy playing reed richards nailed a younger version of the character. I read one review that said Chilkis thing was the strongest character the way Wolverine was in X-men. I cant even understand that one.. The Guy playing Jonny Storm was just plain awesome and single handedly made the movie a laugh riot in all the right ways.

The special effects could have been a little better but they were acceptable. For me personally i really, really, enjoyed the Pure Comic Book Blis of this movie and the portrayal of all the main characters.

I hope this movie makes a solid enough profit for the creators to follow through with their plans. Which is to have Silver Surfur as the "villan" as a Herald of Galactus in the seconf one and a Full on Galactus arival in the Third.

This is a Fine Film in my estemation and a Solid 3 stars, or 7 out of 10 but a solid positive 7 as a movie and an 8.5 as a super hero flick.

I think the critiques should be taken out and shot. I see no justification for their nearly unanimous panning of this flick. I only hope people go see it for themselves.

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

but this is by far the worse case of mass unjustified slamage i have ever seen.

Sounds like a typical Derek Smart game then.

I'm looking forward to just seeing it. I can always jump on the bandwagon and slam it later. Assuming of course grandpa Scriv doesn't beat me to it.

actually while looking listening to Johnny Storm's character throughout the movie, i was wondering to myself is there still people that stupid and immature in the world? He played his character well if he was meant to come off stupid/immature as******. I don't care how "smart" you are

Because if I was the thing, I would have thumped him LONG ago.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Everyone I've talked to says you have to forgive the writers because they stray away from many primary elements... but Spiderman did a little (lot) also.

That is just not true. This is like reading a F4 comic. The writers are very close to the core material. I have been reading F4 for about 15 years. and had a string of a couple years where i never sissed an issue.

Doom is *slightly* different from is origin. But thats all. He still hates the F4, he still blames Reed for hsi problems and wants to kill him. etc..

Most critics seem to be bashing F4 because there's not enough action. That's a stupid reason to bash a movie (The Hulk) so I'm going to bash it because of how horribly terribly made it is. Either 2 hours of movie is flat out missing or this is, by far, the worst editing disaster I have ever seen projected onto a 40ft sheet of fabric. Huge chunks of story are missing - blatantly glaringly missing. If this were a television show you'd think you might have missed a few episodes somewhere.

The acting, for the most part, is weak. Not bad - just weak. Evans and Chiklis are actually pretty good as the Human Torch and The Thing (respectively), each reacting to their new abilities in opposite but believable ways. Where we start getting into craptaculand is when the beautiful and talentless Jessica Alba and the annoyingly static Ioan Gruffudd are on screen. Not only is there positively no chemistry between the two, they both totally suck as actors. Gruffold has all the acting talent of Terry Shiavo and all the charisma of pre-Chicago Richard Gere. If it weren't for having CG limbs we might never see anything but his lips move.

Dr. Doom is one of the most pathetically unthreatening villains in the history of cinema. Worse, instead of having a personality all his own the filmakers just ripped off Green Goblin and gave him a new name. He's supposed to be more like an evil Bruce Wayne-Lex Luther villain, but even those completely unfamiliar with comics will see the plaigerism.

Then there's the script, which is responsible for at least 50% of this veritable cinematic vomit. It's obvious this went through several different writers as the dialogue varies wildly in quality from Superman 1978 to Shark Boy and Lava Girl.

Bah. I need go see Batman again to wash this filth out of my head.

2/10

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Most critics seem to be bashing F4 because there's not enough action. That's a stupid reason to bash a movie (The Hulk) so I'm going to bash it because of how horribly terribly made it is. Either 2 hours of movie is flat out missing or this is, by far, the worst editing disaster I have ever seen projected onto a 40ft sheet of fabric. Huge chunks of story are missing - blatantly glaringly missing. If this were a television show you'd think you might have missed a few episodes somewhere.

The acting, for the most part, is weak. Not bad - just weak. Evans and Chiklis are actually pretty good as the Human Torch and The Thing (respectively), each reacting to their new abilities in opposite but believable ways. Where we start getting into craptaculand is when the beautiful and talentless Jessica Alba and the annoyingly static Ioan Gruffudd are on screen. Not only is there positively no chemistry between the two, they both totally suck as actors. Gruffold has all the acting talent of Terry Shiavo and all the charisma of pre-Chicago Richard Gere. If it weren't for having CG limbs we might never see anything but his lips move.

Dr. Doom is one of the most pathetically unthreatening villains in the history of cinema. Worse, instead of having a personality all his own the filmakers just ripped off Green Goblin and gave him a new name. He's supposed to be more like an evil Bruce Wayne-Lex Luther villain, but even those completely unfamiliar with comics will see the plaigerism.

Then there's the script, which is responsible for at least 50% of this veritable cinematic vomit. It's obvious this went through several different writers as the dialogue varies wildly in quality from Superman 1978 to
Shark Boy and Lava Girl

Bah. I need go see Batman again to wash this filth out of my head.

2/10

Your entire post is complete BS.

I dont any "holes" in the plot. It is pretty smooth progression. There are no 2 hours of anything missing. The acting is just fine. There is nothing wrong with alba. The guy playing reed richards plays the character as bland and nerdy as he is supposed to.

Doom is a little weak but is still Doom.

As for the script. I could not disagree with you more. The Banter bewteen the main characters is the best i have seen in a movie like this and is completely true to the comic.

I got an idea.. heck why dont you read a FF comic eh? Why dont you find out that a lot of villans are similar and just presented differently in various series.

There is no ripping of anything. Just a Blatant Display that you have no freaking clue regarding the source material just like the rest of the brain dead critiques.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Btw.. I would love to sit through this movie with you and make you point out specifics to support some of your points. Like the script.

That out to be pretty entertaining. As there is no justification for some of your comments and it would be fun to see you him and haw and try to "remember that one scene that i know is there somewhere" or whatever..

OK I went in without ANY expectations whatsoever and I LOVED it.

It wasn't over the top at all and that was because of all the drama. This was the same type of feeling I got with the first X-Men movie.

My one and only complaint was that the end fight was too short. Other than that, it was a typical Summer comic book movie.

They did a really good job and you can tell that they paid attention to most of the F4 staple. e.g. the constant banter between Ben and Johnny.

If you like comic book movies, just go so see it.

9/10

As for Scriv. Well, he liked The Hulk. What more can I say?