Movie - Serenity

Supreme Cmdr

ME FIRST!!!

Absolutely loved it. It was typical Firefly and 100% true to its roots.

Some people probably won't get this movie; but hopefully us geeks will go see it more than once in order to make it a big hit.

10/10

[ 06-15-2006, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Absolutely LOVED the movie. I was a little bummed about **** getting killed but I don't know anyone who didn't call ********. Still, it leaves me wanting MORE, dammit. I know movie sequels are more likely but I hope to God SciFi or Fox restarts the TV show. I just don't really want to wait 3-4 years between installments, you know?

10/10

Saw it again this afternoon. I plan on seeing it one more time before the - inevitable - Special Edition DVD shows up.

Best quote EVAR!!!

We're OK. I'm not in control!

I hope this makes enough money to warrant a sequel. I'm not hopeful for a revival of the series however. Maybe sci-fi will cancel Andromeda for good and put a new Firefly series in its time slot.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Absolutely LOVED the movie. I was a little bummed about **** getting killed but I don't know anyone who didn't call ********. Still, it leaves me wanting MORE, dammit. I know movie sequels are more likely but I hope to God SciFi or Fox restarts the TV show. I just don't really want to wait 3-4 years between installments, you know?

10/10

Actually not true.

They are already contracted for 2 sequel's.

The Budget for the movie is reasonable and DVD sales will likely be larger than Ticket sales.

• 2 months later...

As of right now Serenity has lost around $19m for Universal (who was guilty of poor publicity for the film, among other things) even after GLOBAL tickets sales. There is a CHANCE of a SciFi channel TV-movie sequel, but that depends almost entirely on the DVD being a critical success. So for the love of God, if you liked Firefly &/or Serenity and ever want to see something new then get your butt to Walmart or Best Buy and BUY, dont rent, Serenity on DVD.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

I rented the DVD and all I can say is WOW! As the resident late to the party guy in this community I can truly say I missed something great the first time around. Excellent writing ,, story, etc..

11/10

Now go buy the DVD and the DVD set for the first - and only - season.

I have actually watched the entire season 1 DVD (which has three unaired episodes) twice already. My fav episode is Trash. I wish they had continued the series, because she was fast becoming the thorn in his side.

just finished up watching the series for the first time yesterday. Don't really have a favorite episode quite yet mainly due to the fact that all of them have some quirk or humor or just plain great lines that make it enjoyable to watch.

On a slightly different note a friend of mine and I were discussing the movie and the show. He was of the opinion that the movie doesn't continue the story of the series and that the characters were different. Eg. River has her killer mode in the Movie and it shows how her brother got her out.

I'm of the opinion that the movie continues and to some extent comepletes part of the story arc of the series. eg. Rivers killer mode was alluded to with how she took out the guards and her unexplained understanding of firearms and to a lesser degree knives. And at the very end of the series they finally understand shes a reader.

In that sense that character don't deviate from the personas established in the series though more facets of them are revealed in the movie.

well to be more specific about the movie what I liked about it. Now that I have watched it again. I think it starts with great writing especially and more so on the part of the screen play. You've got to make the "hero" out to be a hero, and this goes by his actions and words. Sure he is only a man and does some questionable(in our POV) things. Like pushing the man off the transport in the beginning.

But I really liked his one liners, speaking of Mal, I thought the other characters were fairly cool but obviously didn't get enough air time to evolve as well as Mal. I liked the whole air of the situation they were in against the monstor enemy reavers who the actors really showed they were terrified of... and the whole final battle.

In my opinion it didn't suffer from anything anti climatic... and I'll get it on DVD, gotta show my brother, he's a star trek fan like me and an unforgiving one, the type where if the future has money for economics then he don't like it. But to me it shows a more real vision of our future.

From what people are saying that the season was different from the movie I'm not sure I want to spoil my movie memory.

The movie wrapped up a bunch of loose ends that weren't explained in the first (and only) season.

And yep, they already knew that she was a reader. We already had hints that she was some sort of weapon etc etc. Maybe your friend needs to go back and watch the series DVD again.

I think I know why they killed one character in the film. I mean , seriously, how believable was it that he was married to her? What are those odds?

HEY! It was VERY believeble! Just for that, I'm gonna let the Insurgents get you

Actually, I liked all of the characters, but since they didn't even have a full season to evolved their relationships are really implied and the movied definitely couldn't spend time going into their histories and such.

If that verse is going to come back I'd want a tv series or series of tv-miniseries because the characters really need to evolve and their relationships really need to be pushed to the edges so they are more defined.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I think I know why they killed one character in the film. I mean , seriously, how believable was it that
he
was married to
her
? What are those odds?

Well, I think it was very believable. She was one of those super-serious types, and he was more a light-touch humorous kind of person. Opposites attract man. Alternately, you can look at the fact that on the series, their marriage was having trouble, so maybe it was an impulse thing that was going south.

Either way, imagine yourself spending most of your time far from port and there's only one girl around (remember, there was some kind of interval before they got Kaylee), kinda narrows your vision a bit. "Fools rush in..." Mal wasn't going to go for her, and the engineer (prior to Kaylee) was too irresponsible for Zoe anyway.

Their relationship made sense to me for those reasons.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up the season on DVD the other day. I figured I'd watch it all before I get the movie.

I wish I'd have watched this series earlier! I've only seen the first episode so far, and I really liked it. Sort of a "Sci-Fi Western."

• 2 months later...

Raising this thread from the dead.

I never watched firefly, but King Kong was out and so was Aeon Flux, so Grabbed Serenity because I remembered this thread.

No wonder you guys liked it so much.

Was confused as hell at the beginning, but once it got rolling, OMG, great movie, the one liners in it were great, and at the end, after they put Serenity back together, and the panel falls off, and he says "what was that?" Just classic.

Once I get my financial house in order, the DVD and then the Firefly series DVD's go into my collection, I HAVE to see the series.

The special features were pretty darned good as well, and the director is a kick in the ass, to say the least.

Thanks guys, without this thread, I would have missed an excellent movie...