Night at the Movies: A History of Violence

Scrivener

YAY! This was the movie I desperately wanted Sin City to be. The characters are realistic, believable, and dynamic... and the story is positively great (I'm tickled by the movies message that "ultimately, violence solves everything").

My one complaint is that it feels a little short at 95 minutes. The version that screened at Sundance was over two hours so there's something missing there. I couldn't really guess what it is since the editing is very tight, definately not suffering from the usual "I've been studio-butchered-itis." I'm guessing the already very-realistic brutality was toned down a bit, but I just wish there was a little more.

This is definately old-school movie making - the kind I go gaga over - and it's done perfectly. It is very reminiscent of Kubrick, Hitchcock, Lynch, and Cronenberg's own classic works. IMO, this is one of those challenging classics that deserves a place right up there with Clockwork Orange, American History X, and Taxi Driver.

10/10 + Cinema Classic Status

Considering that I think David Cronenberg is one sick whacko, I should've expected a movie like this.

I don't think I've ever seen such graphic violence committed to a film of this type. Its, well, graphic.

The film was very good though; just the violence (as the title suggests) is, well, violent. No wonder Scriv likes it.

10/10

• 2 weeks later...