Night at the movies - DOOM

Supreme Cmdr

The comment about Rosamund Pike just set me to laughing.

quote:

she is saddled with the thankless task of rattling off all of the pseudo-scientific claptrap that passes for explanation in the quiet moments of the film. She is as good as she can possibly be given the material, but can't help the fact that she is responsible for trying to make sense of what amounts to a contrived reason to get monsters up and walking so the men can mow 'em down.

Oh yeah, I have GOT to see this one!!

My boss was working with me in the field today and he was lucky enough to get into the premiere (that bastard). Anyhoo, he said it was way better than he thought it would be. Messy, fun, an unapologetic. Apparently the whole genetic engineering thing isn't as Resident Evil as I feared. Still, a portal to hell would have been a much better story idea IMO. You know, like Event Horizon. I guess they had the whole portal plot device set up so it's anybodys guess why they didn't run with it. Oh well. I'm there opening night.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

OMG!!!! OMFG!!! This was great!!! I went in expecting rubbish. But boy, was I surprised!!!

This THE BEST video game to movie adaptation EVAR!!!!

Just. Go. See. It

09/10

The visual LMFAO

Complete and utter CRAP. The Fog was bad in that it was amateurish and had piss poor production values. Doom was bad in, arguably, a much worse way... it was boring as f***. Where do I start... god, it's just... everything was done wrong. *sigh* They missed every opportunity to capitalize on the game's best thematic elements... the characters were all total losers (these guys are more likely to be laid out on heroin in a roach infested appartment then elite soldiers). Whoever wrote the script needs to be castrated and left on a dessert island with only bottles of piss to quench his thirst. Then the omgwewrotethisforjetli fight at the end... I just... I want those two hours of my life back. I felt so bad for dragging my friend there I promised the next three movies are on me. I have a headache. I'm gonna take some Bayer and go to bed.

Please, for the love of god. Don't see this. And don't drag your friends to it. They don't deserve that. Nobody deserves that.

1/10

I agree about the characters being total losers. I dunno why it is that these movie makers tend to put a bunch of - supposedly - absolute badasses in a movie. Then go and give them the worse character attributes this side of brain dead.

Oh well, I liked it because I wasn't expecting an Oscar winning movie. It was just mindless fun. I did get to see the trailer for the Underworld sequel those. wow!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Decent flick, but it wasn't Doom. Doom has nothing to do with virally mutated monsters. Demons and Hell are the ENTIRE premise. Very disappointing. Could have been awesome if they just stuck to the source material.

Because it stupidly wears the Doom moniker while having absolutely nothing to do with the Doom canon, I give it a 3 out of 10. Had it been a movie of any other name, I would have scored it much higher.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

DOOM movie producer on why it failed

He also explained the reason for the somewhat unimpressive Doom theatrical release. "We checked every decision with the creators. We tried to balance what they wanted with what the studio wanted. But it got whittled down to a very basic story instead a sophisticated sci-fi story. There comes a point when studios will say its just not worth it.