"What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"

Kevin Trotter

IA few years back a friend who loves films as much as I suggested a film based on Alan Duff's Novel "Once Were Warriors" which detailed the trials and tribulations of a Maori family living in violence and poverty in New Zealand. I saw at our local art house and it has stayed with me for quite some time. tHe family's triumphs and tragedies resonated and I often thought about how the characters moved on with thier lives following the earth shattering tragedy that closed the film.

Two nights ago I happened upon a movie with a title of a favorite song" What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" by the Temptations. Thinking it may be a documentary I tuned in to see a sequel to Once were Warriors. It takes place eight years after the main characters split up at the end of the last film. For the next two hour I was able to get some answers about Jake the Muss ( Short for Muscles , which he liberally employs in an endless number of barbaric bar fights) The movie takes a hard look at a man who has lost his family, self respect and his culture (he is ashamed of being Maori in a white world)It also explores the theme of redemption without comprimising the acts that led to his need for redeeming himself.

The music and beauty of the Maori culture is featured while looking at the destructive forces that challenge them as a people. While not as complex as " Warriors" (which was written and directed by Lee Tamahori, who went on to Hollywood success with Die Another Day)it never the less is a worthy sucessor to the original