"Kong" box office highlights industry in flux

Supreme Cmdr

Interesting link,

Personally, I went to see 'Kong', and loved it.

Since I have installed a Front Projection system at home, I have noticed that it is affecting how often I go out to the movies. That combined with the price of admission and I find myself trying to decide if a movie is worth paying money to see in the theatre over waiting for it to come out on DVD.

Well, as they said:

"The Chronicles of Narnia: The Witch, The Lion and The Wardrobe" have sent holiday ticket sales up 11 percent and attendance up 9 percent, according to Exhibitor Relations."

If you take a look at this movie season, that is one of the ONLY original big production movies out there. Almost everything else seems to be a Remake of an older movie. Maybe when they start doing original stuff again, peole will be interested in seeing it.

...apparently the one factor they overlooked was ridiculous ticket prices. My student discount now saves me about $1.50... that's $8.50 down from $10. Also, every theatre I know of has discontinued just about every special discount they had (Twilight & early bird specials). Heck, a few local theatres don't even offer the student or senior discounts any more. Matinees are $8.50 with no discounts period so there's no longer any incentive to go earlier in the day.

When early bird specials (first showing of the day, providing that showing was before 11am) were around $5.75 I would be at the movies 3 days a week and saw pretty much everything out there. These days I have to be more choosy because the cheapest I can get in is $8.50... and it seems like the price jumps another $0.50 every two or three months.

When movie tickets cost almost as much as a brand new DVD (actually, more than a new DVD if you're taking someone special), then why bother going out when you can buy/rent something, save money, and stay comfortably at home?

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

The movies are decent. The problem like Scriv said are the out of control movie prices. They jackup teh prices, which sends everyone away... so they jack up the prices to compensate etc etc etc....

They would make a ton more if they just charged 5$ a person and made it flat rate. A lot more people would come through their doors. The other thing. Popcorn drinks and stuff for that much money is bordering on criminal. That crap simply has to stop.

Also. no one wants to see all these damn commercials either.

A couple of years ago, when Movie prices were around $5.00, almost every major chain of Theaters had filed for bankruptcy. The only one that was OK was Movieco, they not only charged about 50% more for the movies, but they also had the highest concession stand prices of anyone. Why, because they had Stadium Seating. Now almost everyone has Stadium seating. Now, the big thing is Blockbuster IMAX, just TRY to see Polar Express, which is ALREADY out on DVD at an Imax, it's always sold out.... Just an observation.