Boy Sticks Gum On $1.5 Million Painting At Museum

Kalshion

Not sure if this belongs in this forum or in the politic's one. Anyway, enjoy ;-)

quote:

POSTED: 10:42 am EST February 28, 2006

DETROIT -- The Detroit Institute of Arts is stuck with having to repair a painting worth $1.5 million.

It has to remove a stain left by a wad of gum stuck on the painting by a 12-year-old visitor.

It happened Friday. Museum officials said the boy was with a group from Holly Academy in Oakland County, Mich., when he took the gum out of his mouth and stuck it on Helen Frankenthaler's 1963 abstract painting "The Bay."

The gum didn't stick to the fiber of the canvas, but left a stain the size of a quarter. Museum experts are researching the chemicals in the gum to decide how to clean the painting.

Holly Academy director Julie Kildee said the boy had been suspended from the charter school and said his parents also have disciplined him.

"Even though we give very strict guidelines on proper behavior and we hold students to high standards, he is only 12 and I don't think he understood the ramifications of what he did before it happened, but he certainly understands the severity of it now," said Kildee.

Boy Sticks Gum On $1.5 Million Painting At Museum

A follow on it in my towns newspaper stated at the bill will be given to the family to pay

First off.. where was the teacher? And why didn't they make sure NO students where chewing gum?

I mean, when I was in grade school and went on field trips thats the FIRST thing they made sure we didn't have, either in our mouths, pockets or school bag, anyone caught with it wasn't allowed on the trip.. but then again.. that was back when the word "common sense" existed

Anyway.. whats everyone's opinions?

Glad it wasn't my kid.

No really, I was always chewing gum in school and on field trips. I never in my life even stuck it under a table. Others have.

I guess I want to know why they had a bunch of 12 year olds within reach of a 1.5 mil painting.

Finally, why is that painting worth 1.5 mil. Have you seen it?

I personally haven't, I don't even know how a painting can be worth so much to begin with....

I won't lie though, even back in grade school I found ways around the 'search' for gum in our school bags, maybe this kid found a way around his

Still though, your right, why they would allow twelve year old kids within reach of a 1.5 mil painting is beyond me...

I was never a fan of gum. It looses its flavor fast and then it just becomes a nuisance. 12 or no, he should have had enough common sense to know better. Lord knows I did when I was 12.

I think in this case the reprecussions are totally fair.

I never really understood people who didn't put garbage... in the garbage cans.

quote:

Originally posted by echo:

Finally, why is that painting worth 1.5 mil. Have you seen it?

I think the value of a painting is mainly based on two factors:

How famous (in the art world) the painter is (was).

How long the artist has been dead.

But that's just me...

That is great! This kid has created a true new piece of art using the original artist's work as inspiration! We shouldn't be trying to undue what is obviously a true masterpiece in dedication and creativity.

Give this kid a medal and some riddalin!