Movie - The Da Vinci Code

Supreme Cmdr

This movie gives new meaning to book-to-movie adaptation disappointment.

Seriously, the critics aren't kidding

Tom Hanks was as stiff, out of place and terribly miscast as ever. He literally waded through the movie like he was too bored to be there.

If you have read the book - a huge page turner - you would be sorely disappointed by the movie. This of course depends on your tolerance threshold.

Not only did they take liberties with the book (WHY does Hollywood do this??!?), they also royally screwed up the urgency and excitement of the book.

To me, the movie felt like a cross between a PBS special and a made-for-tv (not even DVD) movie.

If you can, wait for the DVD. If you haven't yet read the book, then watch the movie BEFORE you buy and read the book.

2/10

Thats our society isn't it? Remember, the book sold in excess of $40m copies in over 40 languages. So even with $77m in revenue, thats not such a big number.

But seriously, the movie is rubbish. I can't wait to hear Scriv's take on it.

On some level, I can understand why a Christian would be a little upset by the premise of the 'Davinci Code'(I'm a Christian myself, but I really don't have much of a problem with it, seeing as how it is a work of fiction...)

Having said that, I have to ask: When are people going to learn that calling for a boycott of a movie is the best way to ensure it gets more publicity and makes more money than it otherwise would have? Hence you end up helping that which you despise. It's ridiculous.

I'm also Christian, and I'm not sure what theology would be compromised by Jesus' having had offspring. I'm not interested in entertaining a theology discussion here, so I'll just leave it at that, but I think the thing that Christians get riled at Dan Brown for is that his book seems to take a lot of cheap shots at organized religion as such, and one might feel properly defensive about such broad strokes as I'm told his writing makes (I haven't read it yet). Find me any human institution (religious or not) that survives a thousand years with that degree of social power that doesn't have its ups and downs. I tend to think Christianity has done about as well as anyone could ask relatively speaking.

As far as the movie went, I enjoyed the mystery of it, although I agree with the reviewer from AICN who said that when McKellen appeared that we got too much too early. I'm a bit of a pushover too though since I'm not so demanding as long as I'm entertained.

Guest $iLk

I'm a Christian who dislikes organized religion - especially the Catholic Church who I feel is all pomp. They venerate men of their own choosing as 'saints' and dress in golden robes of silk and ornate jewelry - then look down on everyone below them as if they are the ones in authority. What is the difference between the cardinals and the pharisees?

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

I'm a Christian who dislikes organized religion - especially the Catholic Church who I feel is all pomp. They venerate men of their own choosing as 'saints' and dress in golden robes of silk and ornate jewelry - then look down on everyone below them as if they are the ones in authority. What is the difference between the cardinals and the pharisees?

uhm, wrong thread?

Back on topic...

The better half and I went to The Da Vinci Code on Sunday, and my advice is as follows: Wait for the DVD, watch the film, remove the disc, crack it in half and slice your wrists with it. Believe me, you'll want to.(Note: Aramike does not condone anyone slicing their wrists, he's just sayin'.)

Now for the nuts and bolts to this yawner. First, I have to say that I'm one of 58 people left in the world who haven't read the book. And the other 57 are in third world countries. Despite that, I can say with certainty that the book is more entertaining.

The movie's plot was slow and plodding, Tom Hanks' character had absolutely no depth, and the dialogue was as dry and technical as a History Channel special on the combustion engine. It got so bad that during the latter half of the movie there seemed to be about 30+ minutes of so little happening that one could literally hear every throat clear and every squirm in the packed theater.

Very simply, take away the hype, the God-awful screenplay and dialogue, the overly-technical and long plot elements, and the people who think that this is a work of non-fiction, and you MIGHT have a good movie. Maybe.

4/10

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

The movie's plot was slow and plodding, Tom Hanks' character had absolutely no depth, and the dialogue was as dry and technical as a History Channel special on the combustion engine. It got so bad that during the latter half of the movie there seemed to be about 30+ minutes of so little happening that one could literally hear every throat clear and every squirm in the packed theater.

I couldn't agree more.

Personally, I haven't read the book nor seen the movie. I refuse to spend a single dime for this garbage even if it is mostly fiction. My nephew did see this past weekend and he said it was okay nothing to write home about.

After much discussion over it, He and I still prefer the real deal: Rennes-le-Château.

The Real Mystery

There's one thing I would love to get my hands on and read:

17th Century manuscript detailing the genealogy of Jesus Christ

I dunno man, reading that whole Rennes business gave me a massive headache. As I got to the code part, I felt my - otherwise high intellect and IQ - slowly ebbing away. In other words, I felt stupid.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I dunno man, reading that whole Rennes business gave me a massive headache. As I got to the code part, I felt my - otherwise high intellect and IQ - slowly ebbing away. In other words, I felt stupid.

Welcome to the club.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the club.

Feh - cry me a river. You guys only felt stupid after watching a movie. Try walking around feeling stupid ALL THE TIME like I do!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Prez:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the club.

Feh - cry me a river. You guys only felt stupid after watching a movie. Try walking around feeling stupid ALL THE TIME like I do!!!

I have never read the book or seen the movie. Let me guess: The butler did it I bet.

quote:

Originally posted by Prez:

quote:

Welcome to the club.

LOL!!! Actually it wasn't the movie that did it. It was that link that Lost posted. I love a good mystery. So...get this...I read the WHOLE thing. My eyes were bleeding by the time I was done.

...thats when I got up to make coffee and realized that I'd forgotten how.

Guest $iLk

Hey guys I have an idea. Let's take each scene out of the book and film it in 3 minutes, everything that goes over 3 minutes will be cut. Then lets string it together into a feature length film and see if people can make sense out of it. It'll be like a code... if you can figure out what the hell is going on in this film - you solve the Davinci Code!

-9/10

I finished the book on Saturday, watched the film tonight... the signifigance of every single character and scene is ignored in lieu of just getting it filmed so that they can check it off the check list.

Not to mention changing up the parts that were too inconvenient... thereby removing the urgency of the book.

What trash.