Movie - A Scanner Darkly

Scrivener

Caught this over the weekend. Unfortunately it seems to be on Limited Release, so it wasn't playing at my usual theatre. It's sort of a bummer since the sound system in the place I saw it was crap, no bass whatsoever (sort of ruins the great beat the soundtrack has). Despite that small technicality, which is no fault of the film, A Scanner Darkly is one really weird ass movie. It's light scifi with a drug trip twist. Think: Requiem for a Dream, only without feeling dirty and depressed afterward.

What's best is that it really seems like every scene is pointless until the end, and then it all starts coming together as you realize you've been paying attention to the wrong details (just like the drugged out characters in the movie). It's really very excellent storytelling. The art style actually works for this one too, unlike Waking Life, which can induce both sleep and vomitting (sometimes simultaneously).

A great movie that both entertains and makes you think. If it's playing nearby, I'd highly recommend catching a show.

9/10

[raises hand]

Does the movie in anyway explain the really stupid title?

Don't know what it is but it seems so contrived in an effort to pique interest or be 'hip', but I find it very irritating.

Why not call it A Trashcan Smartly or A Pencil Swiftly or A Movie Stinky?

Please help me here, I'm afraid I might kill someone over this.

I'm not totally sure what the title means. I think it's something from the short story that didn't actually make the film. Or maybe it's just the name of the poem that Keanu says as his brain melts. It's a drug movie, so I try not to think about it too much.

SC for God's sake leave your loin out of this! I will see this as Phillip K Dick is one of the best least heard of writers in the Genre. Movies made from his stories usually are pretty good (Blade Runner)

ontopic:

"A Scanner Darkly" is the title to Philip K. Dick's book, and is an updated reference to the apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 13:12.

"For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; but then shall I know, even as also I am known."

Paul's referring to the next world, but Dick's novel is about a deep cover narcotics cop and what he "sees" in the course of his work. I've read the book, and I'll be interested to see if the movie is as smart.

Don't judge a book...

• 2 weeks later...