Movie - Miami Vice

Supreme Cmdr

Don't even bother.

The only good thing I have to say about this movie, is....wait, scratch that. I can't think of anything good.

If you're a Mann fan, go see it. But with much lowered expectations. Otherwise, wait for the DVD.

This was a movie made out of ego and it shows. It was just plain bad. Even the end battle which should have had Mann's signature, came out as a total flop and anti-climatic.

I was so dissapointed, I'm considering boycotting Mann for the next couple of years.

5/10

I thought it was very good. You're right about the end shootout, though. It seemed like it was filmed entirely with $300 VHS camcorders and really didn't feel very tense, exciting or... well, anything. It was very meh and anticlimactic. The rest of the movie was infused with a sense of danger that I really admired. Mann has certainly done better (Collateral, Heat, Last of the Mohicans) but I still loved it.

8/10

"Heat" should go down on the all-time-best-shootout-list, as far as I'm concerned. You know what I think made it so good?

Sound. They didn't try to throw crappy, over-dramatic music in and didn't use use "studio" recordings of gunshot sounds. Instead it had a very "natural" effect.

Heh, I wish MORE directors will figure out that a shootout is intense enough to not have to add other, distracting BS.

Now, as for Miami Vice, I'm gonna take Derek's word on this one. Even from the trailers this flick looks like yet another mindless action film. I grew out of those roughly at the age of 18.

My only question, though, is if it THAT bad, isn't a "5" a little too nice of a score?

• 3 weeks later...