Movie - The Departed

Scrivener

Friggin awesome movie. Not only one of Scorsese's best, but also Damon and DiCaprio's - who give some of the best performances I've seen out of either of them.

It's a pretty brutal cops vs mob movie, though - so I wouldn't expect any Oscars here. Regardless, this is one of the best movies released this year BY FAR.

10/10

• 3 weeks later...

while I liked the movie.

I had some problems with it.

spoiler*****************

I knew that when it came to the container truck scene with the shoot out with Costello and the police that the ending was going to be a far cry from the greatness of the movie thus far.

my problems with the ending were this.

There are many things Costigan could have done rather than confronting Sullivan on the roof of that building.

He could have gone to baldwin with the same very recordings that he got from Costello's lawyer... which would show that Sullivan was the mole in the department... record of him being police or not... it would explain how his record was deleted etc..

he could have found Digmann where ever he was and gave him the recordings and Digman would come forward and clear Costigan and arrest Sullivan.

So for all those people to cry plot holes, cry foul at this, why would he do it that way... if you say it is because he wanted to die, then fine, but i dont think he had a desire to die there in that elevator.

its just an excuse by the director to kill the main protaganist at the end, because people believe its more dramatic than flying off into the sunset...some times it is , some times it isnt, in this case it wasn't

• 2 weeks later...

Cruis what are yall smokin down there? That was one of the best written and directed films I have seen. It pays homage to some of the great films of the seventies, when filmmakers dared to tell stories that reflect realism and not Hollywood over processed optimism. Marty is the class of American directors

11/10

I also want to add that plot holes in movies made by someone the calibre of Marty, are probably intentional ie.. representative of the flawed thinking and decision making human beings under enormous pressure would proably make. It easy ro sit back as the viewer with knowledge the charcters dont have and say, "he should have done that" but in my mind a film plotted that tightly is flawed and inorganic. Just a thought.

• 4 months later...

I saw this the other day. I thought it was just great!

I have 2 comments: I found DiCaprio's accent to be the most realistic. Weird considering Damon and Markie Mark are from Boston.

I haven't seen a movie with such a good looking cast since "The Outsiders"