Movie - The Prestige

Scrivener

Wonderful movie, though very complex. The film is about a rivalry between two magicians during the turn of the century. The film is edited in a non-linear manner that requires you to keep track of as many as 3 time lines at once. It's confusing at first, but starts to make sense further into the film.

Before seeing this, a friend of mine told me to avoid it - as the story was slow and there were several twists at the end that come completely out of left field. I saw it anyway (negative reviews hardly ever stop me)... and that is not the case at all. In fact, my little brother and I had both figured out all the major third-act twists by the 1 hour mark... you just have to pay attention.

This is not a passive movie... it's like a whodunnit with some very unorthodox elements that are sure to throw off many an unsuspecting audience member. If you like to figure out movies like I do - this is just the thing for you. Like the subject matter (not coincidentally), the movies secrets really aren't hard to figure out when you know what to look for.

The script, acting, and atmosphere is perfect. Bale and Jackman are perfect as the rivaling magicians, and Bowie was magnificent as Nikkola Tesla. I hope these guys get serious Oscar attention this year, because they all deserve it.

10/10

I it this weekend and thought that it was quite weak and at least an hour too long.

Speaking of which, Tesla did manage to clone those hats, didn't he? Or were they just projected to a new location?

Oscar? Yeah right. You simply cannot be serious

6/10

aha! Thats what I thought.

=== SPOILER alert. HIGHLIGHT TEXT TO VIEW IT ===

So, the magician who died in the experiment, was a perfect clone. Now I see why he tried to shoot him.

And the position of the hats also explains why when the clone was created in the wrong place in the theatre where he was performing.

So, my question is this. Since he performed that act several times (I think), what happened to the other clones?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

aha! Thats what I thought.

=== SPOILER ALERT. HIGHLIGHT TEXT TO VIEW IT ===

So, the magician who died in the experiment, was a perfect clone. Now I see why he tried to shoot him.

And the position of the hats also explains why when the clone was created in the wrong place in the theatre where he was performing.

So, my question is this. Since he performed that act several times (I think), what happened to the other clones?

More spoilers...

The Danton clones went on to do the next show. The originals, however, dropped through a trap door into the water tank where they drowned. Each night after the show, Danton's men rolled the water tank with the corpse into the old theatre, and stored it in the basement. That's why there were a bunch of tanks lined up down there at the end when he was shot. Basically, he was drowning himself every night... not that the new clone would remember it since the clone was created before the drowning... hence the limited engagement.

As for the experiment in the danky theatre, the clone was the first to reach the gun - thats why the one guy was in the process of saying "I'm the original!" when he was shot. This is also how he figured out how to adapt the device to his trick... you have to kill the original.