My opinion on the UK Fuel crisis.

Guest Commander Hamblin

Guest Commander Hamblin

Ok, here's my bit about this petrol crisis.

I support the government's position on this. Although I myself do not drive, and therefore don't have to pay petrol tax, just remember, ten pence off of petrol tax means one billion pounds off of public spendeture (sp?). Especially with the current government's over spending, I don't think that'd be a good idea.

In addition, I would not expect ours, or any self respecting government, to make policy based upon any Tom Dick or Harry making protests, unpopular or not. I'll ignore the French government in this one.

These people are effectively holding the entire country hostage. This blockade could cause the country's economic collapse, for Christs sake! They're putting lives at risk as well, as the emergency services now have to start rationing their petrol supplies! This type of selfish rubbish has gone on far enough, and has to end before permanent damage is done, if it hasn't already happened!

One more thing. We have, practically, the lowest Income tax in Europe. You can't have both. It's either lowered income tax or lowered fuel prices.

Suffice it to say, there is no "quick fix" in this, on the government's side at least.

------------------

Commander James Hamblin

GCV - Galatea, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Wing Leader, Galatea Exploration Wing

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

Sounds like ye folks needs a tea-party on the Thames IMO. Since ye doesn't drive the petrol taxes do not directly concern you. Indirectly you and all consumers pay the tax in the form of higher prices on all products. Petrol costs money, and tradition is that all costs are past to the end purchaser. Heck ye all have that VAT too.

Here in the states, petrol is going for approx $1.55 (varies higher/lower depending on location) per gallion. Remove the various government taxes and the actual cost per gallion would be approx $0.95 - you do the math.

TTFN

Guest aramike01

You see, this is the problem with politics. Politicians who promise an immediate reprieve from something such as a gas tax are the ones who get elected. These days, it just seems that the public by and large are too ignorant to look down the road to find what's better for them and their nation. Shortsightedness is a terrible political agenda.

"It's not what your country can do for you...it's what you can do for your country!

Good post, James!!!

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 09-12-2000).]

I'm sure eceryone agrees that the prices of fuel are too high, however the government cannot simply "re-do their sums" as the lost billions would be removed from the NHS and schools. Unfortunately it appears most of the nation thinks they should do exactly that! Watching Sky News this morning, their online poll showed 89% were against the governments current stance. Of course online polls are notoriously unreliable...

Being a Life-Long hater of unions and the B.S. that they claim to do for their employees, I say "Give them the same treatment that the US gave the air controlers" back when they all went on strike also. "You're Fired!" works every time. It's different over in the UK I hear, but like I said, "I hates Unions!" You can't fire a non-performer withoug having to go through so much B.S. and the Union Steward as well! I say fire that S.O.B. as well and give the money back to the employees where it belongs! I appologize for ranting, but This burns my tailgate!

------------------

Insurgent One, Rattler

ICV Necromancer, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Man i went to a computer fair just last week and well the prices went from $1.49 to $2.00 at one stop we did before making it there we spent some $36 in gas to go some 214 miles with a good van..geez 20 of it came out of my money for new computer parts grrr maybe i'll just have to get a Non-gas car or one of the skycars that might be comeing out in afew years down the road maybe then i can show off my piloting skills i learned in battlecruiser smile.gif

Well, it's crunch time. Where I live, theres no fuel anywhere for anyone except the emergency services. I would have been ok until the weekend, but my car decided to die last night on my way home from work, and with no petrol for my other car, Im stranded. Whats worse, according to my information, Im not likely to get any petrol for either of my cars (Working or not) for at least another week. So, Im a little tetchy just now. In principle, I agree with the protests. I work with a lot of americans on a USAF base and a long running joke is our excessive fuel prices. It's not so funny for them now since their subsidsed fuel has run out.

End of the day, this kind of protest wont work in the direct manner that the protestors want. It never could. If any government was to give in to this kind of mentality, it would open up the flood gates for everyone with a grievence to hold the country to ransome. Fortunately, the Unions of the mid - late 70's are no longer in existance, so repeats of the winter of discontent (For those UK commanders old enough to remember) are unlikely. However, this protest is just the tip of a potentially huge iceberg that could very well plummet us back into those 70's dark ages.

Where will this all end? Who know right now. The governments in trouble, this much is for sure. But I expect them to make some grand gesture the closer we get to polling time and try and wipe away this nightmare from the publics mind.

Hell, I didnt vote for them.

------------------

Fleet Cmdr. Karl Savage

GCV - Tsunami, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Fleet Leader, ORION FLEET

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'Here cometh the storm!'