GOV TAX

The 3 year Ban on internet taxes expires Sunday, the Senate failed to pass a 2 year extension to that.

So No, They will not start taxing on Sunday, But it may be coming soon.

And this would be to allow Taxation when the Purchaser lives in a Different state from the seller.

I believe the lifting of the ban will allow States to try to collect for out of state purchases, not necessarily the US Govt.

edit in: That's not quite right. It will allow the States to try to collect if they wish. But the the stories I have read feel the States are more likely to try.

Still not quite right but better.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Charles Lindsey ]

The whole point of the internet tax ban had to do with the purpose of taxes. Taxes are for paying your share of common-good services, not for extorting profits for no other reason than to pad the general fund of the state.

When you have a physical store on the street, your sales taxes go towards your shared enjoyment of city services, such as police and fire protection. When you have a virtual store, what common-good services are your taxes supposed to be supporting? In these cases, the internet tax simply becomes the government taking a cut off the top of your profits.

The point of taxes in general is to make government fatter and to intrude more and more into our personal lives. The more money government gets, the bigger it gets. The bigger it gets, the more it needs to do. The more it needs to do, the more it looks around your personal lives to affect them in some way good or bad for you.

$ilk, you mean you didn't use the worksheet to figure the taxes owed on out of state purchases?

Steve, I think you are correct. That's the way it should be but it isn't.

What was that older movie I saw where the tax assesor visited everyone's house and you got taxed on the value of what you owned?

Same thing.

I don't know if they should Tax the internet, anything with the government getting more involved on the internet scares me.

Maybe its for the better

Maybe its a foot in the door to controlling the internet, thus controlling a major free speech tool for everyday citizens.

quote:

I don't know if they should Tax the internet

That's the first thing that is going to happen. One of the other sidebars in the news stories I read is that they will begin taxing the online service. Just like you pay taxes on your telephone I beleive we will soon have to pay tax on our ISP.

They have already gone after entertainment down here. You pay tax on your theatre ticket (though they have it figured so you still pay an even amount) and you pay tax on the concessions.