Political Correctness, what is it?

OK, I want to start a new fun thread.

It seems that I have offended someone here on the forum, he seems to think that I offended people when I stated something in another discussion.

I want to state right now, that I did not state what I stated to offend this person, I stated what I stated to offend the people that I was talking about.

Now then, what do you think political correctness is?

This is my defition of political correctness.

To take offense of a term or something said, for someone else.

In other words, say you go to a high school, and the name of your team is the Indians, or the Warriors etc.

Some person, with too much time on their hands, and PC to the point of lunacy, decides that Indians will be offended because the School mascot is an Indian or a warrior etc, but they in fact are not only NOT Indian, they haven't talked to any.

So they decide to get a petition going to remove and change the mascot to something else, because we MIGHT offend Indians.

This is what I believe political correctness at it's worst is, to take offense for someone else, even though it has NOTHING to do with you.

So, what are your definitions of political correctness?

And you all know that I am one of the least politically Correct people around.

In other words, if I offended you, but wasn't talking about you or to you, then too bad, because I wasn't being politically correct.

There is a difference between being polite and staying away from certain subjects or terms, and political correctness.

I don't believe in political correctness, because I MIGHT offend someone. Words mean things, and if you are PC, you are far from clear, because you are so afraid that you will offend someone.

Being politically correct drives me nuts. I understand the reasons why people go to great lengths to be politcally correct, however, in the end it doesn't do any good in my opinion.

Take this thing whole argument over Grand Theft Auto Vice City saying, "kill the Hatians." They called it an "incitement to genocide." I mean, for christs sake...thats a bit melodramatic wouldn't you say?

I am like you Jaguar, I don't sit around re-reading things I type to insure that a word I used might be taken out of context and that it MIGHT offend someone...I don't have time for that kind of BS...

I am a new fan of Stehen Lynch song singing comedian. Saw him in Boston the other night actually. He is funny and offensive and I love it!!!

I think it has all gone to far.

However, this is coming from the most independent non-womens liber...who often gets mad at the bra burners, when I have to leave my kids and go to work full-time...June Cleaver had it made..tommorow I may be a male basher though so watch it

quote:

Originally posted by echo:

I am a new fan of Stehen Lynch song singing comedian. Saw him in Boston the other night actually. He is funny and offensive and I love it!!!

I think it has all gone to far.

However, this is coming from the most independent non-womens liber...who often gets mad at the bra burners, when I have to leave my kids and go to work full-time...June Cleaver had it made..tommorow I may be a male basher though so watch it

I had never heard of Stephen Lynch until you mentioned him.

I went Here and listened to a couple of those songs, and I was absolutely dying.

My wife came in to find out what I thought was so funny. Spanking it was hilarious, and the others, OMG!!

If you are easily offended, or are at all PC, do not go to that Link!! You have been warned!!

ROFLMAO!!

Thanks Echo!!

who did you supposedly offend jag?

i gotta go through that big thread of iraq and the things something now to find out?

i remember i was in there somewhere, but like i pointed out in one of my only posts in that thread, those threads are not somewhere i normally post to, because i dont usually engage in that type of discussion on the net, but have.

so i hope anyone didn't think i may have been offended. just a longshot but i know it cant be me.

you're the jaguar after all! nasty bite

Yes, very politically correct.

DeepFreeze has the best I have seen in this thread. Then people do what Jag posted.

Do you say the "n" word or say "african american"? Of course using african american is politically correct while using the "n" word is downright offensive. While being politically correct it's also just being polite. Just because it's politically correct doesn't mean it's wrong.

Then again sometimes it does get downright silly and I think those are the instances people rant against. Jags Indian example is perfect for this I think.