School Uniforms (and other uniforms)

An interesting discussion broke out on another board that I frequent, the talks are about uniforms and why schools should/shouldn't have them

Much of what those people are saying is that it'll limit the students rights (what rights?) but what about the rest of you? What do you think and do you beleave our schools should enact a national uniform or just a state uniform? (or if you want.. just talk about it, in other provide your opinion)

You aren't required to attend at that particular school, if you don't like the rule go somewhere else. oh and maybe we shouldn't make the military wear uniforms since it infringed on the soldiers rights to choose what they wear too while were at it.

IMO this whole thing is stupid, following the rule in;t going to hut the kids and maybe they will learn something from it.

Your right it won't

But people say that if students follow the rules it destroys there indivualality.. take this line for example

quote:

Teaching kids to dress alike is just one more way of teaching them to think alike. Period. End of sentence. I'm heartily against the pieces of crude, and I thinik that it's an absolutely stupid idea. It's not a freakin' military, it's a school.

There are NO beneefits whatsoever to uniforms. They cost money, they limit personal freedom, and they encourage kids to think alike.

Taken from the board where I got this idea from orignality (and from the idiot who's calling everyone stupid because they like uniforms)

What can you guys gather from what this person has said? Do you beleave he is right? Do you beleave is Wrong? Or do you beleave is to freaking stupid

Edited out the curse words in the quote since due to commanders request

well, my culture chooses the uniforms. manditory for all schools. the only time you get out of uniform is college and up. that is from age 16 and up.

we college early

but i feel that non uniforms is fine. but as long as strict dress code is observed. the things american kids where to school leave alot to be desired.

so yes to no uniforms, but no to low-life dressing.

no earrings for boys etc. no jewelry

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

well, my culture chooses the uniforms. manditory for all schools. the only time you get out of uniform is college and up. that is from age 16 and up.

we college early

but i feel that non uniforms is fine. but as long as strict dress code is observed. the things american kids where to school leave alot to be desired.

so yes to no uniforms, but no to low-life dressing.

no earrings for boys etc. no jewelry

Cruis,

I am glad you piped in here, uniforms are going to become a necessity here pretty soon the kids and their dress is out of control, and the school boards are a bunch of idiots.

Give them uniforms and the school board doesn't have to spend the next 3 years and 250,000 dollars on a study of what should be the dress code.

here's the uniform, wear it.

Common sense is NOT common in this country any more.

I wish what you said was possible in this country, but sadly, it's not.

Saddly is right

This country no longer wants sensible children, they want children who beleave they have all the right in the world to disobey there parents, go out and kill people, and other such stuff

However, back on topic

Having a uniform at least provents 80% of this from happening cause they feel like there part of a club (sorta speaking) and that in that club they can get the attention they need to succeed in life

Why do you think in a private theres a rule where

"If you don't follow the rules then your out of here"

At the private school I attended back in 1991 and 1992 if you messed up you where out of there. If you didn't wear the uniform you where out of there.

what I said, meaning the part about, strict dress code, if plain clothes are allowed?

also the inability to follow even a simple dressing rule lends to the indiscipline in the school and school work...

if you cant get em to dress properly, how can you teach them trig?

in our country there is still indiscipline even with uniform wearing, like they trying to wear it how its not supposed to be. but they can't walk by the police dressed badly.

school kids are treated like what they are, kids. freedom, and all that rumble jumble don't apply to them being told WHAT TO DO.

that part about the 250,000 and the study is hiliarious jag, i know its true but

Besides the "individuality" issue, you have parents who can't afford the $200 some rip-off local merchant might charge (supply and demand is definitely in the merchant's favor) for a uniform. That said, some parent will always complain about the uniform but not the $300 brand-name sneakers the kid insists on wearing with it.

Also, with uniforms, there is less need to determine, on a case-by-case basis, whether or not someone's outfit violates the school dress code. Fewer students will miss a class because they were forced to go back home and change clothes.

But uniforms aren't the total answer. You also need to get rid of the smoking areas next to the school parking lot and any other activity that detracts from education.

Then all you need are more competent teachers and fewer basket-weaving classes.

Uniforms won't make anyone a better person once outside the school environment. But they should help limit the anarchy that seriously detracts from a positive learning environment.

well since i go to a private school that makes you wear a uniform i'll put ym opinion into this.

the fact is i hate school uniforms. my school uniforms have 3 different colored shirts but who cares about that when u have a freakin annoying tag that always makes u reach back and cratch.

and then the ridiculous dress rules. they make u always wear your shirt tucked in or you get in trouble(come on!)

personally i'd rather just walk around with a shirt and boxers then wear a school uniform anyday. but y do i still go here?

the education is top notch. and i want a bright future.

I believe my high school got it right (yes it was a private high school)

No uniforms (except phys ed 'sports' uniform of course) , but there was a very specific dress code.

In short, tshirts, blue jeans all ok. (of course no profanity or sexually explicit images on them and for the ladies no revealing attire)... as long as it conforms to 'informal' attire in a workplace.

so no, we never had kids who dyed and spiked their hair, or wore matrix like cloaks or had piercings in every part of their body.

And the benefit of being a private school was simple: Any kid who whined they couldnt express themselves could simply go to another school.

Schools are learning centers not bars or fashion shows.

My old high school went with Khaki pants and a white/blue polo style shirt - brown or white shoes, and a belt.

During winter you could have a blue jacket/vest/sweatshirt

It didn't cause any problems - but then again, I didn't see a problem with the way people dressed before we got uniforms. I used to go in full urban BDU outfit complete with combat boots... I guess they didn't like that.

The only thing that was a super no-no was a trenchcoat after the Columbine thing.

I used to hear when I was in school that they were thinking of requiring uniforms to minimize distractions and help alleviate "clicks" based on clothing and whatnot. Nice idea but I doubt uniforms would have accomplished that.

Where from in AL Mike^D?

Most of the schools towards the Gulf Coast have gone to uniforms... it didn't really separate the 'clicks', it just made it harder to pick them out in a crowd.

Good points where made, at least you guys are being mature about it *unlike on the other board*

Now another question, do you feel uniforms where added since the military has them? And in your opinion do you think there is a connection between the military using uniforms and the schools?

uniforms among military is to show that you ARE military. school uniforms aren't to show that you are a school child...but a solution to the babbling about rules for dress code.

military uniform takes on a whole different meaning. well speaking as someone who wears a para-military(police) uniform.

It does simplify the aspect of smart-ass teens who try to say "but why can't I wear this?" every time they were questioned about something.

Uniforms simplifies the process, and IMHO should be included in ALL public schools.

Not to force children to think alike, but to simplify dress. If it takes clothes to express yourself, you mustn't have much to contribute anyway.

espirt de corps

now there's a term i havent used or heard in long. when me and my course mates we're in training we threw it in the instructors face all the time.

we have british style of discipline, as in a recruit has no rights

so when instructors got nasty about something and wanted to pick on one guy to make him rat out the others.....3 words espirt de corps

eheheh gota love the comradre.

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Now another question, do you feel uniforms where added since the military has them? And in your opinion do you think there is a connection between the military using uniforms and the schools?

i think the military may have had some type of minor effect but that's really all. like Silk said.

quote:

Much of what those people are saying is that it'll limit the students rights (what rights?)

quote:

Teaching kids to dress alike is just one more way of teaching them to think alike. Period. End of sentence. I'm heartily against the pieces of crude, and I thinik that it's an absolutely stupid idea. It's not a freakin' military, it's a school.

There are NO beneefits whatsoever to uniforms. They cost money, they limit personal freedom, and they encourage kids to think alike.

I'll wade in here briefly.

Uniforms are called uniforms because they encourage uniform behavior, not individual behavior. The person you quoted says that they make children think alike, but they are intended to make children behave alike. Behavior is the single biggest problem in schools today, and behavior problems lead to learning problems in the classroom.

As much as they hate to hear it, children are minors until they are emancipated at 18, and therefore they have limited rights. Children do not enjoy the full suite of rights that adults do, although lawyers are trying to change that (but that's a topic for another time).

okay..like it or not..here's my two cents

you can't relate military uniform to school uniform. the day i walked out of the chow hall and realised i couldn't identify my group because of the fact that we had shaved our heads the day before let me know that i was in for one roller-coaster of an experience. That is military training. If a child is NOT in a private school, why should that child not be allowed to express him/herself. If it is within the limits of the school regulations, then no uniform should be necessary. I live in the San Francisco bay area. My son is NOT allowed to wear Oakland Raiders paraphennalia at school as that is seen as a gang insignia in this area. Look, uniforms or not uniforms doesn't really matter Kalsh... kids just wanna have fuhun.