School Uniforms (and other uniforms)

School uniforms are just another lesson to be learned by today's youth. Teaching them to dress for success is not a bad thing.

My kids were not required to wear a uniform persay, but a mandatory list of what was acceptible clothing. It didn't hurt their individuality in the least. Quite the contrary, My son quickly learned that girls paid more attention to him for being well dressed.

And the added bonus was his interest in school took a 180 degree turn. He started getting better grades.

My daughter however, was always getting called on the carpet for wearing a skirt that was shorter than allowed. I managed to get a dig in on the faculty after being called to school for one of her violations:::

Seated in the office of the Principal, She and I were being read the riot act by a vice-principal who was wearing a dress that also violated the dress code. She was leaning over resting her elbows on crossed legs and the top of the dress was so loose that nothing underneath was left to the imagination!When I stood up and informed both of these individuals that it was ludicrous for them to guide my child on proper dress when they couldn't dress themselves properly,

The principal was literally shaking in his chair and stammering when he spoke.

When I stepped out of the office into the hallway Two security guards showed up very soon, acting like they were going to kick me off the premises until a teacher walked past and addressed me by name. LOL That teacher I had for Biology when I attended that school LOL

In conclusion, Uniforms are ok for private schools but there is also nothing wrong with public schools having a strict uniform dress code.

quote:

Look, uniforms or not uniforms doesn't really matter Kalsh... kids just wanna have fuhun.

Please proof read you're posts before hitting that reply.. its FUN not fuhun

I understand that kids want to have fun, but theres a big difference between having fun and learning

My understanding, my experience, my observation. Is that uniforms will help schools out no matter if there public or private however students will be students and saddly, this new generation is NOTHING but trouble. I'd say WHY this new generation is nothing but trouble but I will leave that for another board

What I'm saying is this, uniforms will help reinforce respect amoung students and there teachers. Right now respect, honesty, and loyalty are a thing of the past when it comes to public schools, and thanks to this 'No Child Shall Be Left Behind' crap it just makes the problem even WORSE

• 2 weeks later...

While I feel that private schools can demand that student dress up in pink bunny suits for all I care, public schools are a different matter in my opinion.

The added expense of a uniform and maintaining it for a family that can barely afford books for thier kid is unacceptable. Most kids wear the same clothes after school as they do during school, so there isn't an added expense of buying and laundering a uniform. To a family where five dollars means the difference between eating and starving that week, this is a big deal.

Besides that, kids rebel no matter what you do. I have a private school just up the road from me and I see things done with uniforms that just isn't right on a fourteen year old girl (or boy for that matter) but fall within the strict dress code of the school. That's what kids do. Try to get away with things.

Uniforms or not, it doesn't matter. When it comes down to the meat of the percieved problem, all blame must lay on the heads of the parents. The only people that are really responsible for the childs behavior are not the teachers, the police, the media, and a whole whack of other people, but the parents who are supposed to be raising these children.

Btw, every generation says the new generation is nothing but trouble.

And I'm part of this new generation

Granted you're right. Everyone will rebel... infact we had such a thing happen yesterday in my Career class, everyone rebeled (except me because I could careless, I'm more interested in getting that Tech Cert) against the teacher and walked out of the classroom.. end result? NOTHING, the school did NOTHING.. why? You've got me

A student comes to school to learn, but saddly most parents beleave that the school will teach there child and take care of them. Not true, its up to the parent to take on the responsbility of taking care of there child. Thats one reason why we have such a high crime level and why respect, loyalty, and honesty are no longer around (or rather, are rarly around)

Back on the subject of uniforms though.

You're right that some parents might not be able to buy a uniform for there child, but if thats true then why did they even bother to enroll there child in a private school? OR a public school that has uniforms? I mean its common sense people if you're going to send you're child to a school that has uniforms then make sure you have the money to buy that very uniform. If you don't have the money and still decide to send you're child there then its YOU'RE own fault, not the schools

Off Topic: Darklight, you're sig, please have you're system information listed in there. And remove what you currently have.. also please read the signature topic as well

Hi there,

My 2 cents from another country.

Frankly Malaysian students have been using the same uniforms since the inception of Malaysia way back when.

Primary school : White shirt and Blue shorts/trousers/skirts

High School: White shirt and Green shorts/trousers/skirts

(all cotton)

I don't see how wearing uniforms will stifle individualism. I would think that the curriculum being taught would be the main factor that affects a child's individualism.

I agree with Cruis.In that, even with the strict uniform codes our schools are still facing disciplinary problems.

Now that I have reached my 30's, I find a couple of good things about uniforms:-

1) It's as deterrent against truancy as these uniforms are easily identifiable;

2) It helps cut down costs for each family with kids as these uniforms can be bought at a very reasonable cost at our local supermarkets;

3) It promotes a espirit d' corps.

[ 02-29-2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

quote:

everyone rebeled... against the teacher and walked out of the classroom.. end result? NOTHING, the school did NOTHING..
why? You've got me

I think you answer your own question.

quote:

A student comes to school to learn, but saddly most parents beleave that the school will teach there child and take care of them... Thats one reason why we have such a high crime level and why respect, loyalty, and honesty are no longer around (or rather, are rarly around)