A soldiers Letter to Kerry

Dear Senator Kerry:

Since it has become clear that you will be the Democratic nominee for President, I have spent a great deal of time researching your war record and your record as a professional politician. The reason is simple, you aspire to be the Commander in Chief who would lead my sons and their fellow soldiers in time of war. I simply wanted to know if you possess the necessary qualifications to be trusted in that respect.

You see, I belong to a family of proud U.S. veterans. I was a Captain in the Army Reserve, my father was a decorated Lieutenant in World War II; and I have four sons who have either served, or are currently serving in the military. The oldest is an Army Lieutenant still on active duty in Afghanistan after already being honored for his service in Iraq. The youngest is an E-4 with the military police. His National Guard unit just finished their second tour of active duty, including six months in Guantanamo Bay. My two other sons have served in the national guard and the navy.

In looking at your record I found myself comparing it not only to that of my father and my sons, but to the people they served with. My father served with the 87th Chemical Mortar Battalion in Europe. They landed on Utah Beach and fought for 317 straight days including the Cherbourg Peninsula, Aachen, the Hurtgen Forest, and the Battle of the Bulge. You earned a Silver Star in Vietnam for chasing down and

finishing off a wounded and retreating enemy soldier. My father won a Bronze Star for single handedly charging and knocking out a German machine gun nest that had his men pinned down. You received three purple hearts for what appears to be three minor scratches. In fact you only missed a combined total of two days of duty for these wounds. The men of my father's unit, the 87th, had to be admonished by their commanding officer because: "It has been brought to our attention that some men are covering up wounds and refusing medical attention for fear of being evacuated and permanently separated from this organization..." It was also a common problem for seriously wounded soldiers to go AWOL from hospitals in order to rejoin their units. You used your three purple hearts to leave Vietnam early .

My oldest boy came home from Iraq with numerous commendations and then proceeded to volunteer to go to Afghanistan and from there back to Iraq again. My sons and father have never had anything but the highest regard and respect for their fellow soldiers. Yet, you came home to publicly charge your fellow fighting men with being war criminals and to urge their defeat by the enemy. You even wrote a book that had a cover which mocked the heroism of the U.S. Marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. Our current crop of soldiers has a philosophy that no one gets left behind; and they have practiced that from Somalia to the battlefields of the Middle East . Yet as chairman of a Senate committee looking into allegations that many of your fellow servicemen had been left behind as prisoners in Vietnam, you chose to defend the brutal Vietnamese regime. You even went so far as to refer to the families of the POWs and MIAs as Professional malcontents, conspiracy mongers, con artists, and dime-store Rambos.

As a Senator you voted against the 1991 Gulf War, and have repeatedly voted against funds to supply our troops with the best equipment, and against money to improve our intelligence capability . I find this particularly ironic since as a Presidential candidate you are highly critical of our pre-war intelligence in Iraq. However, you did vote to authorize the President to go to war, but have since proceeded to do everything you can to undermine the efforts of our government and our troops to win . Is this what our fighting men and women can expect of you if you are their Commander in Chief? Will you gladly send them to war, only to then aid the enemy by undermining the morale of our troops and cutting off the weapons they need to win?

Our country is at war Senator, and as has been the case in every war since the American Revolution, a member of my family is serving their country during the war. Now you want me to trust you to lead my sons in this fight.

Sorry Senator, but when I compare your record to those who have fought and died for this nation, and are currently fighting and dying, the answer is not just no, but Hell No !

Sincerely,

Michael Connelly February 14, 2004 Dallas, Texas

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not again, please.

If one's prior history involving war or military service is ANY indication of how well one would run a war then this might hold water. I would assume Mr. Connelly thinks GW is doing a superb job with this one, which totally negates the point he is trying to make.

I'd like to see Mr. Connelly do the same review of Bush's military record and come out with glowing remarks. Take it further and investigate the military record of Bush's war cabinet. Oh that's right, all but Colin Powell dodged their service and I'd be willing to bet that he has a less than stellar assessment of the Presidents execution of this one.

It's pure hyperbole and partisan BS and amounts to nothing more than another "I hate Kerry" statement. Ho-hum.

Grizzle.. a few words

HE is a veteran so he has the god for saken RIGHT to compare another's record, he has the god forsaken RIGHT to judge others.. so NO his letter is NOT BS! How dare you insult a family that's mainly military, now I have lost just about ALL respect for you

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Grizzle.. a few words

HE is a veteran so he has the god for saken RIGHT to compare another's record, he has the god forsaken RIGHT to judge others.. so NO his letter is NOT BS! How dare you insult a family that's mainly military, now I have lost just about ALL respect for you

I respect the fact that Mr. Connelly and his family are war veterans, but SO IS KERRY.

I find it a bit disingenuous to take the stance that a veteran's opinion shouldn't be questioned when that very opinion is questioning the service of a fellow veteran.

Yup, he has the right to say it and I most definitely respect his service to our country, but in my opinion, his opinion on this matter is hypocritical and biased at best.

Say what you will about Kerry, the fact remains he IS a war veteran and deserves more respect than he's gotten for it.

He is NOT a veteran.. he is a TRAITOR who cowardly left the Vietnam war to protest against it.

He is NOT deserving of ANY respect, I refuse to respect someone who insult's our soldiers, INSULTS our president who is doing a DAMN good job, and insults our troop's who fought and DIED for this country!

YOU Grizzle just can't stand hearing the truth coming from a veteran who know's exactly what he's talking about.

quote:

He is NOT a veteran.. he is a TRAITOR who cowardly left the Vietnam war to protest against it.

He is NOT deserving of ANY respect, I refuse to respect someone who insult's our soldiers, INSULTS our president who is doing a DAMN good job, and insults our troop's who fought and DIED for this country!

YOU Grizzle just can't stand hearing the truth coming from a veteran who know's exactly what he's talking about.

Gee Kal, You speak as if Mr Kerry cut his own orders to return home. LOL

The fact still remains, he didn't shirk his duty by joining a Guard unit that in all likelyhood was never going to be called up.

Although, before you turn your vociferous "I love Georgie Bush" flame thrower in my direction, I don't consider Bush or Kerry either one worthy of a single vote.

They have both committed what I consider treasonous and treacherous, if not criminal acts against our nation. Hanging is too good for both of them.

quote:

He is NOT deserving of ANY respect....

Kal,

Do you think members of the miltary should resign if they don't respect the Commander in Chief? Or, if they aren't given the option to resign, should they at least refuse promotion?

You two are clearly missing the point

I said that KERRY isn't deserving of respect, where in my sentence did I say "No military officer is deserinving of respect"?

Also, all I said was that Kerry wasn't respecting Bush for all he had done for this country and yes Bush has done a HELL of a lot more than that traitor Clinton has, I'm sorry but Kerry, in my opinion, is not deserving of any respect he's nothing more than a flip flopper and is anti-military.

His war record speak's for himself, why should I respect a traitor? Hmmm? Give me one very good reason please

Wolferz, you have given me no reason to flame you so why would I?

Nevermind, Kal.

You are missing the reasoning for my rebuttal.

There are a great deal of facts behind the entire era that was Viet Nam that you evidently don't know, and to claim that anyone who served in that quagmire is a traitor and a coward lends evidence of your unenlightened state of mind regarding the subject.

I never inferred that you should respect Kerry.

However, I would like to know which war record are you basing your opinion on? The real one, or the one that Bush and the Republicans are hosing everyone with?

"For there own benefit by the way."

Kalshion said:Wolferz, you have given me no reason to flame you so why would I?

Please read my post again and think about your "Up with George Bush" comments.

We are not here to flame each other personally.

We are here to discuss interesting subjects and put forth our views for scrutiny by our peers, hopefully in a positive and enlightening fashion.

I do not agree with many of your opinions but I respect them. You are a young man, are you not?

You still have a great deal of education ahead of you, so if I may be so bold as to offer you some fatherly advice;"Don't take everything you hear on TV or read in the news media as the gospel." Seek your own answers and learn as much as you can. Always lead by example. Not the old: "Don't do as I do, do as I say do"attitude.

The founders of our country fought for freedom, truth, and justice and we are still fighting that war today. Only problem now is the threat is not only from outside our borders, but within also.

There are some evil SOBs that would destroy these ideals for their own profit, and I for one refuse to allow it.

Do not blindly follow leaders who care not for their people.

quote:

"I never let my schooling interfere with my education"

Samuel Clemens

quote:

There are a great deal of facts behind the entire era that was Viet Nam that you evidently don't know, and to claim that anyone who served in that quagmire is a traitor and a coward lends evidence of your unenlightened state of mind regarding the subject.

I like how you instantly jumped to conclusion Wolferz without stating any facts

Where did i say EVERYONE who served during that time at traitors? oh wait.. I never did.. so why did you say something false (IE Assume)?

I said KERRY IS A TRAITOR, not EVERYONE. You obviously never bothered to read my post

I commend those who fought AND STAYED TO FIGHT, but Kerry turned coward and used his three purple hearts (which he never deserved) to cowardly leave the battle and then protest it, sorry but in my opinion he is NOT fit to lead this country

quote:

However, I would like to know which war record are you basing your opinion on? The real one, or the one that Bush and the Republicans are hosing everyone with?

Interesting..

Wolferz, you told me not to beleave everything on TV or in the newspapers.. and yet here you are BELEAVING that bullcrude, how do you know if the one the republicans have is the real one or not?

I've done my research here Wolferz, the REAL war record is not availible for public viewing(even though they claim it is), you honestly beleive Kerry is THAT stupid? Ok so he is stupid(for being a traitor and a coward) but not that stupid

I will not support Kerry, at all. When voting come's I will vote for whom ever I see fit to lead, and right now that is Bush

Ok Kal,

We're sinking into the Bog of Eternal Stench here, so I concede all of your points.

You can think what you will about a decorated veteran, it doesn't hurt me in the least.

So what? He followed his ideals and convictions upon his return from Nam. Something many Americans haven't the fortitude to do.

In those days some did.

Like all of the students at Kent State University who faced down the guns of idiocy and paid for it with their lives. Murdered by the Ohio National Guard. A part of the military apparatus that was sworn to protect them.

Ironic? Hell yeah! That was long ago and a different story altogether.

In case you haven't noticed, GW isn't running this country, oh wait, he is. Running it into the ground at the hands of his minders, like the oil companies he was the head of. Frankly, I'm surprised that Texas survived his stewardship as Governor.

If I had to pick between the lessser of two evils, Nader would get the nod. Bush and Kerry aren't worth popping a cap in.

So vote your conscience.It's not my place to sway your opinions, nor will I.

"Many a man's eyes are not opened until he dies, but the open eyes of a dead man see nothing."

• 2 weeks later...

From the Start I never really did like kerry.... But what better has Bush done? We're fighting a war and we're trying to rebuild and everyone knows thats not what we should be doing.... fight till its over then rebuild... And even then theres alot of stupid shit our govermnet does I really dont think it matters who wins office 2004, its all the same shit...

What ever happened to the Leaders in the 40's and 50's and times before then? We need people who know the people not people know has the money to run...

But thats just me.

We are winning in Iraq, I don't know where you get your information, but it's pretty much over except for the few nutsos and terrorists that are trying to cause problems.

We have won the war in Iraq, now it is just a matter of pacifying the crazies.

It took over 3 years and 400,000 deaths to finally pacifying Germany after they surrendered, and you are calling 6 months, and 700 Military service people a quagmire and a disaster?

You guys need to get a grip on reality.

This war has been a PHENOMENOL success, and it is incredible the light casualties we have suffered.

The Iraqi people are actually rising up against these nuts, they are killing more of the terrorists and militia, then we are at this point.

THe Iraqi people are behind us, and support us, and are looking forward to self governance and democracy.

Do you hear this in the mainstream press, NO!!!

Maybe you ought to listen to the people that are on the ground,m instead of those trying to demotivate them because they hate Bush and ALL of HIS successes.

And he has had quite a few, and with very little loss of life when you compare it to other wars.

quote:

This war has been a PHENOMENOL success, and it is incredible the light casualties we have suffered.

Only because, IRAQ was, and still is, an insignificant 3rd World country!!, who could only be a threat to an even smaller and more insignificant neighbor. Certainly NO ONE else!!.

It makes me feel like Im going to PUKE, when I see, people ranting with PRIDE, on how we KILLED a mosquitoe!..and the mosquitoe is YET biting us in the ass, as they speak.!!

talk about getting a grip on reality!!

sorry people, just had to put my two cents in

quote:

Only because, IRAQ was, and still is, an insignificant 3rd World country!!, who could only be a threat to an even smaller and more insignificant neighbor. Certainly NO ONE else!!.

Okay I was not going to get involved till this post popped up.

Do you have any idea the kind of person that was leading Iraq at the time? No, you do not, because if you did you would not have said the above. Saddam Hussein had no regard for his people or for human life. He treated his own followers like garbage yet they still had and have the devotion to blow themselves up on command. A person with this mindset and any kind of country with that amount of devotion is not only a threat to his neighbors, but a threat to the well being of mankind. Only threaten smaller insignificant neighbors? Lets not forgot what put us in this war... a smaller insignificant 3rd world country taking a chunk out of the free world super power that is America on 9/11. We are in this spot because the only words Saddam would understand is a kick to the ass and the loss of his power... 3rd world or not.

quote:

Do you have any idea the kind of person that was leading Iraq at the time?

Yes, I most certainly do..I SERVED DURING OPERATION DESERT STORM!!!

quote:

Saddam Hussein had no regard for his people or for human life. He treated his own followers like garbage yet they still had and have the devotion to blow themselves up on command. A person with this mindset and any kind of country with that amount of devotion is not only a threat to his neighbors, but a threat to the well being of mankind.

And all the while he was the UNITED STATES little BUDDIE......!!! until he jumped on KEWAIT...for NOT paying the expenses incurred when he(hussein) previously PROTECTED them!! SO by your logic, WE(the UNITED STATES) was a threat to the well being of MANKIND, until Kewait was invaded.

Just as WE were buddies with, and WE armed and WE traind ALQUIEDA. WE again were a THREAT to ALL of mankind, until Russia withdrew from kabul, and we ABANDONED our COMRADS: "The Taliban"..then WE cry FOUL when they smack us in the nuts on 9/11.

This whole Double standard ,which is ACCEPTED, by this IMMORAL, if not CRIMINAL, actions of this PRESIDENT, and ALL those who support him.....

IT'S SICKENING!!!!! to me, personally!!

quote:

Only threaten smaller insignificant neighbors? Lets not forgot what put us in this war... a smaller insignificant 3rd world country taking a chunk out of the free world super power that is America on 9/11.

SORRY to bust your bubble, but 9/11 had everything to do with an EGYPTION ALQUEDA CELL, financed from AFGHANISTAN...and NOTHING to do with IRAQ!!!!

quote:

We are in this spot because the only words Saddam would understand is a kick to the ass and the loss of his power... 3rd world or not.

We are in this SPOT, because, our dear president BUSH wished to USE the FEAR generated from 9/11 to jump on IRAQ, and place a puppet government, which held 65% of the world's energy, within the strategic middle east; RATHER, than take the time to work our a VIABLE solution. SO, he blew

all the INFORMATION out of proportion to REALITY, and even OUT RIGHT LIED, to get the american population scared enough to back him.

STILL, the confusion is in the MINDS of the uninformed.

There are multiple reasons, for this, and each are valid and have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to do with 9/11,or this PRETENSE of morality by this administration. I will not get into this..it is redundant.

The OPEC countries,(sitting on the U.N.) were caught between a rock and a hard place, and chose, Bush as the LESSOR of two EVILS...period.

This naivete is just incredibly funny to watch.

They were our friend, so they must ALWAYS remain our freind.

That is NOT the way international politics works boys and girls.

You are our freind today, just as we are yours, but once your or our usefullness has reached it's end, that's it, that's all.

We did NOT create Al Quaeda, Osama Bin Laden created Al Quaeda. We supported the Muhadeen fighters in afghanistan against the Soviet Union invasion. We trained Osama Bin Laden to fight the Soviets, not our fault that he turned on us during the Gulf War and decided that we needed to be out of Saudi Arabia.

Yeah, we created Osama Bin Laden, BUT HE created Al Quaeda.

Some of you guys need to get a grip and read some history before popping off with ridiculous nonsense.

Personally, I don't think Saddam was a Buddy at all just another pawn in the cold war between America and Russia. You may not like it but the entire globe was a chess game at that time and America had to play the game or else Russia and it's communism would have had won by default.

In October of 1973,the Soviets were urging the Arab oil states to cripple the U.S. economy with embargoes and price hikes. How would you feel now if Russia succeeded because we didn't counter move that. So America had to make deals with little devils to keep the bigger devil at bay. And don't just go around blaiming America for all the world's woes every country played the game too.

Personally I don't believe either Bush or Kerry's records are relevant. Bush served faithfully in the guard, and despite his band-aid purple hearts, John Kerry earned his silver star for a reason.

I judge John Kerry because of what he did AFTER Vietnam.

"In looking at your record I found myself comparing it not only to that of my father and my sons, but to the people they served with. My father served with the 87th Chemical Mortar Battalion in Europe. They landed on Utah Beach and fought for 317 straight days including the Cherbourg Peninsula, Aachen, the Hurtgen Forest, and the Battle of the Bulge. You earned a Silver Star in Vietnam for chasing down and

finishing off a wounded and retreating enemy soldier. My father won a Bronze Star for single handedly charging and knocking out a German machine gun nest that had his men pinned down. You received three purple hearts for what appears to be three minor scratches. In fact you only missed a combined total of two days of duty for these wounds. The men of my father's unit, the 87th, had to be admonished by their commanding officer because: "It has been brought to our attention that some men are covering up wounds and refusing medical attention for fear of being evacuated and permanently separated from this organization..." It was also a common problem for seriously wounded soldiers to go AWOL from hospitals in order to rejoin their units. You used your three purple hearts to leave Vietnam early . "

OK , so can we see what george bush's war record reflected? I'm sure that our capitalist friends will enlighten us on the courageous efforts put forth by our current president during the vietnam war.

Oh wait... I just realized that our current president was cowering in his mother's bosom (thanks to Daddy's connections) so that he never had to set foot on Vietnamese soil (wouldn't want to dirty those precious feet now would we?). Hmmm...yeah, I guess GW is the perfect commander in chief in the time of war, given all his military background. Such a brave man, I admire him and hope that my son can be half the man that he is. I just hope my son never sends over 800 men and women to their deaths for no reason whatsoever.

Guest Fox__Trot

I would like to make a complete and unbiased statement from my standard "I dont care I really dont" postion that I take whenever posting on the politcas & religion fourm.

Jaguar being a veteran of the united states military has every right to compare HIS record against kerry's. This should not however extend him the right to compare his father's to kerry's (seeing how there is a time gap and the enemy fought was diffrent)...

But seeing how this is kerry who would be taking over as president (If he bribes the poor like democrats do *cough* Goverment Handouts *cough*) it gives him every right to compare his son's war records to kerry's record (Seeing how kerry would DIRECTLY affect current events)

I just hope those are logical assumptions -- and in other news --

Bush VS Kerry is over rated - it REALLY doesnt matter WHO wins in the end presidents have very little affect on the outcome of events (Afterall a president is but one man who must go with the "will" of the people since he's determined to be re-elected in the 4th year) lets face it the american political structure is at the moment messed up

This leaves me with one thing to say

SC for Supreme Dicator of the former "Republic of the United States of America" (bet he wouldn't have trouble finding a good publisher after that)

Jag by the way in all due serriousness that was a very well writen letter have you thought about getting it published in a local newspaper and actually SENDING it to him and whomever else may be intrested?

That wasn't my letter, I got it in an e-mail from a friend of the person who did write it.

I felt that it was powerful enough to be put in here, just to see the reaction.

I got the reaction from the same people that always give that type of reaction.

El Che of course being the main liberal here.

Emotional rhetoric with little thought to the actual logic and facts that tear his arguments apart.

That's OK though, I expect that from liberals.