President Ronald Reagan dies at 93

This is sad day for me, President Ronald Reagan was one of my personal hero's.

He made us proud to be American's again.

He freed more people from tyranny then any other human being in history, and he didn't fire a shot.

The Berlin wall crumbled, the Soviet Union fell,and the US economy and military were the strongest since WWII.

We have lost a true GREAT American today, and he was my Commander in Chief.

Godspeed President Reagan, I will miss you....

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

He freed more people from tyranny then any other human being in history, and he didn't fire a shot.

The Berlin wall crumbled, the Soviet Union fell,and the US economy and military were the strongest since WWII.

For once, I can agree with Jag.

Godspeed.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Hear! Hear!!

I just wanted to relate something here that many people don't know.

Reagans speech writer toold about this in a radio interview, I found it fascinating and heartwarming.

In his famous "tear down this wall" speech. Tear down this wall almost didn't make it in.

His advisers took that line out of the speech 4 different times, but Reagan himself told them to put it back in, because he liked it so much.

They thought it was naive, and posssibly would offend the soviets and the germans. But it is that line in the speech that is remembered. He didn't care, he thought that it was important, no matter how naive or possibly offensive that line was.

He was right, it was one of the most powerful speeches he ever made, and endeared him to the hearts of Germans. He said, what they only wished they could say. And it worked, within a year, the Berlin wall was being torn down.

Another one was during the arms control talks with Gorbachev. Gorbachev wanted the US to give up Star Wars, he said that it was defensive and that that was not OK. Reagan got up and walked out of the meeting, scaring the entire world with his attitude.

The Soviet Union of course fell because of it.

He spent us into record deficits, but only because he knew that there was NO WAY, a communist power could keep up, and he was right, the Soviet Union could not financially afford to do what we did, and they collapsed.

At the end of his watch, we had the strongest economy since WWII, we had the newest and best equipped military in the entire world, and again, he had freed MORE people then ANY other human being in the ENTIRE history of the world.

Reagan scared Liberals and Democrats, and Republicans, he was a TRUE conservative who would not break his political ideals for any reason.

He also had a sense of humor, when he first took office, he scared a LOT of people, when he said, "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes." He ws testing a microphone, but it was live, and it scared the hell out of some people. Me? I laughed my butt off!!

He had goals, and he knew how to reach those goals, and he slammed into congress until he got what he wanted, if the congress stymied him, he went straight to the people.

He was the most popular president EVER, he could have won a third term if that had been allowed, no president in history was as popular as he was at the end of his second term.

He was the great communicator, the president of the people, a great patriot, who loved America, the American people, and the constitution.

I will always remember him as the greatest President of my generation, and possibly of this century.

He made me proud to be an American again, after the Vietnam debacle, Watergate, Carter, the gas crisis, the Iranian hostage crisis. After all that, we were WAY low, we were depressed, and he lifted us out of that depression. You could picture the plan that he had layed out for us, you could feel the pride in his voice for America, and for you. It made you want to get up off your depressed backsides and get to work again, because it was GREAT to be an American again.

I joined the military because of President Reagan, I was proud to serve under him, to have his picture on the wall of our offices in the military, to have his picture on MY wall in my locker. I saluted that picture every morning, I was that proud to have him as my commander in chief.

Those were the days that I will remember with great pride, the 80's were not the decade of greed, they were the decade that America again found it's purpose, again found it's center, it is the decade we got our pride back.

And it was all thanks to President Ronald Reagan and his great vision of that shining city on a hill, that was dulled, but with a lot of elbow grease, a lot of stump speeches, and lot of kicking people in the rear to get moving, it outshone the sun when he and WE were finished.

Thank you President Reagan, we will miss you, I will miss you.

Sorry guys, but I had to write this down, because I am feeling a great loss today. More then I imagined I would. I feel like I have lost a member of my family, a great icon of America is gone, a national treasure has passed away.

Thanks

A few quotes from the great communicator.... If you don't mind...

quote:

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidise it.

Ronald Reagan

quote:

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

Ronald Reagan

quote:

Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence.

Ronald Reagan - Los Angeles Times, January 7, 1970

quote:

It is not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work -- work with us, not over us; stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it.

Ronald Reagan -First Inaugural Address, January 20, 1981

quote:

We don't have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much.

Ronald Reagan -Address to National Association of Realtors, March 28, 1982

quote:

"Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his."

And one last one

quote:

Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Ronald Reagan -Speech near the Berlin Wall, 1987

reagan_ronald_photo_4_lrg.gif

Godspeed President Reagan, Godspeed

A lot of people are saying Former President Reagan, but he will always be MY President. He will ALWAYS be President Reagan to me.

quote:

In closing, let me thank you, the American people, for giving me the great honor of allowing me to serve as your president. When the Lord calls me home, whenever that day may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future. I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead. -- Ronald Reagan

[ 06-06-2004, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

I liked Reagan during the '80s, but I was nearly a child back then.

though I always thought he just said "Tear down this wall", because he never expected Gorbachev to really be able to do it. but it was an impressive speach nonetheless. using the term "Empire Of Evil" for the Sowjet Union was even for me back then just way overdone propaganda, like the "Axis Of Evil" now is.

I recommend reading the book "Codename Veil" by Bob Woodward (but be warned, it has about 800 pages!), I doubt that anyone would be a Reagan-fan after that.

but, may he rest in peace...

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Anarchist:

though I always thought he just said "Tear down this wall", because he never expected Gorbachev to really be able to do it. but it was an impressive speach nonetheless. using the term "Empire Of Evil" for the Sowjet Union was even for me back then just way overdone propaganda, like the "Axis Of Evil" now is.

I recommend reading the book "Codename Veil" by Bob Woodward (but be warned, it has about 800 pages!), I doubt that anyone would be a Reagan-fan after that.

I have read it, and I am just as big a Reagan fan as I was before. Woodward used WAY too many Anonymous sources, uses way too many SECRET documents, and says a lot of outlandish things in that book.

He is a sensationalist, and a propagandist. I always take Bob Woodward with a grain of salt, only because he deserves no more then that.

In all honesty, if Reagan had done ALL of those things, it wouldn't have made a hill of difference to me. His main goal was America first, our security first. If anthing would have endangered that, he would have stopped it if it had come to his attention.

I know ALL about ALL of the supposed major things that happened in the Reagan Administration. I have talked PERSONALLY to Colonel North about Iran/Contra, I have talked to a number of other people as well.

Reagan is and has been and ALWAYS will be a man that has earned my deepest respect, endearing gratitude, and undying devotion. He was a man that I am proud to call my president, and the only one in my lifetime that embodied it.

He not only was the president, HE WAS the President. WHen someone says the President of the United States, his face comes to my mind.

He embodied that office, it fit him like a glove, and no other man before or since, has held up to the example that he showed.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Anarchist:

Why would I want to read another book written by a liberal revisionist propaganda piece? No thank you.

The USSR *WAS* an Empire of evil. Just like there *IS* an axsis of evil today. Although then the Empire of evil was far more dangerous as they could nuke the entire planet in one stroke.

My first memory of Ronald Reagan was when he gave his farewell speech from the Oval Office, and after the inauguration of President Bush, when he waved goodbye to the American people, and got into his helicopter.

I was in first grade, and our teacher had us all around the television. Back then it was hip to be a pro-America teacher. And I remember when he announced his disease to the world.

I remember the fall of the Berlin wall, I remember the collapse of the Soviet Union... and I grew up knowing the man responsible for those things.

I've always had respect for the man - and as I came to realize that my own ideas of the world followed along his philosophy, I respected him even more. Listening to the eulogies yesterday brought a tear to my eye, knowing how many people loved this man... and what a true American hero he was. I will miss him, and I will tell my children about him.

He's larger than life, but he was always a man of the people. He was probably our greatest president in this century, because there were few who could whip congress... few who could take the election in a 49 state landslide.