Terror in the Skies, Again?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

What you said is absolutely true. However, there are also some pretty weird things in the story. How many people on airplanes would rather eat their McDonalds lunch in the bathroom instead of at their seat?

Ugh, you know I didn't see the MORE icon on the first page. Well, I have now read the entire article and I change my mind. Something was not right at all. First off no one should be allowed to bring anything that has not been checked out prior to boarding IE Mcdonalds. That plane must have stunk to high heaven as it was from the Mcdonalds food most specifically fries. I work in a small office and as soon as I start to eat my Mcdonalds, when I do order it, I hear "who's eating Mcdonalds!!" I did not see her mention about the odor. I would find that an important clue as to if there was really any food items in the bag. However she is only partialy on track with her statement about terrorists being trained as musicians perhaps they are musicians trained as terrorists.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

What you said is absolutely true. However, there are also some pretty weird things in the story. How many people on airplanes would rather eat their McDonalds lunch in the bathroom instead of at their seat?

Ugh, you know I didn't see the MORE icon on the first page. Well, I have now read the entire article and I change my mind. Something was not right at all. First off no one should be allowed to bring anything that has not been checked out prior to boarding IE Mcdonalds. That plane must have stunk to high heaven as it was from the Mcdonalds food most specifically fries. I work in a small office and as soon as I start to eat my Mcdonalds, when I do order it, I hear "who's eating Mcdonalds!!" I did not see her mention about the odor. I would find that an important clue as to if there was really any food items in the bag. However she is only partialy on track with her statement about terrorists being trained as musicians perhaps they are musicians trained as terrorists.

That's the world we live in today:

1. To check someone out = Hurt feelings, bad publicity, decreased ticket sales, a whole lot of lawsuits, and a multi million dollar fine = averted terrorist act.

2. Not to check someone out = maybe nothing, maybe a "dry run" (a practice run for the terrorists to hone their skills), no fine or bad publicity = ultimatly hundreds (best scenario, if not thousands) of people dead, a whole lot of property destroyed.

What's better? Depends on what your views are, there are some people who think it's better for thousands of people to die than hundreds be put into an uncomfortable possition. You know what, I wish it would be your next of kin on that plane, see you stick to your views you hipocrats.

That's the world we live in today:

1. To check someone out = Hurt feelings, bad publicity, decreased ticket sales, a whole lot of lawsuits, and a multi million dollar fine = averted terrorist act.

2. Not to check someone out = maybe nothing, maybe a "dry run" (a practice run for the terrorists to hone their skills), no fine or bad publicity = ultimatly hundreds (best scenario, if not thousands) of people dead, a whole lot of property destroyed.

What's better? Depends on what your views are, there are some people who think it's better for thousands of people to die than hundreds be put into an uncomfortable possition. You know what, I wish it would be your next of kin on that plane, see you stick to your views you hipocrats.

It is a sad thing, about Americans, who are surrounded by ANY peoples, who are speaking in an unfamiliar lanquage.There is PARANOIA. Especially with, the cultural differences present. They feel they are on the outside, and their imagination runs wild.

I have seen this happen, with American tourist, on buses in south america, when unfamiliar things, like an unscheduled bus stop happened, in remote location. I could hear the tourist mumbling, back and forth,(thinking, the bus was being hi-jacked, by an angry man in the back) their paranoia getting stronger, by the moment, as the bus driver continued telling a man in the rear of the bus(in an odd dialect of spanish), all about his nephew's up coming wedding, being postponed. And, as he explained to the man, in the rear, he was simply waiting for the radiator to cool down a bit, before moving along.

If that lady could have understood the conversation; the EYE contact, and the NO, being said when the one man returned from the lavatory, would not have been so threatening.

Those men's, so called co-ordinated effort, to stand, rather than stay seated, would have probably lost it's feeling of impending doom, as well. If she could have understood their conversation, as to how their ass probably hurt from all the sitting, or some such.

I do not find this example, reason enough to doubt proper security, nor do I see this as an example which supports, need for further infringements upon individual rights.

I see it, for what it REALLY is. A woman, who has been caught up in the BUSH FEAR campaign, and DUE to CULTURAL seperation, was likely suffering from ACUTE PARANOIA.

It is a sad thing, about Americans, who are surrounded by ANY peoples, who are speaking in an unfamiliar lanquage.There is PARANOIA. Especially with, the cultural differences present. They feel they are on the outside, and their imagination runs wild.

I have seen this happen, with American tourist, on buses in south america, when unfamiliar things, like an unscheduled bus stop happened, in remote location. I could hear the tourist mumbling, back and forth,(thinking, the bus was being hi-jacked, by an angry man in the back) their paranoia getting stronger, by the moment, as the bus driver continued telling a man in the rear of the bus(in an odd dialect of spanish), all about his nephew's up coming wedding, being postponed. And, as he explained to the man, in the rear, he was simply waiting for the radiator to cool down a bit, before moving along.

If that lady could have understood the conversation; the EYE contact, and the NO, being said when the one man returned from the lavatory, would not have been so threatening.

Those men's, so called co-ordinated effort, to stand, rather than stay seated, would have probably lost it's feeling of impending doom, as well. If she could have understood their conversation, as to how their ass probably hurt from all the sitting, or some such.

I do not find this example, reason enough to doubt proper security, nor do I see this as an example which supports, need for further infringements upon individual rights.

I see it, for what it REALLY is. A woman, who has been caught up in the BUSH FEAR campaign, and DUE to CULTURAL seperation, was likely suffering from ACUTE PARANOIA.

That's the debate, all right.

In the article, it wasn't just the woman, it was also the flight attendants, other passengers, and the pilots. And you have to admit, there were other oddities besides the men all getting up together. How many people bring their McDonalds lunch to eat in the airplane bathroom rather than at their seat? Everyone knows about not using radios and cell phones on the plane -- they make an announcement throughout each flight. Why did one of the men take his cell phone to the bathroom, if not to make an illicit phone call? Who takes a camera to the bathroom? The flight was four hours long. All of these men had aching butts? According to the article, they are musicians -- I'd expect them to be used to sitting for long periods of time.

Anyway, as I said, was it a panic attack or a dry run? With Homeland Security asking people to be observant and vigilant, was this the kind of activity that should have been questioned? There was lots of unusual activity, at the very least. And, one point to consider, if you can train a bunch of people to fly planes into buildings, you can train them to play musical instruments.

That's the debate, all right.

In the article, it wasn't just the woman, it was also the flight attendants, other passengers, and the pilots. And you have to admit, there were other oddities besides the men all getting up together. How many people bring their McDonalds lunch to eat in the airplane bathroom rather than at their seat? Everyone knows about not using radios and cell phones on the plane -- they make an announcement throughout each flight. Why did one of the men take his cell phone to the bathroom, if not to make an illicit phone call? Who takes a camera to the bathroom? The flight was four hours long. All of these men had aching butts? According to the article, they are musicians -- I'd expect them to be used to sitting for long periods of time.

Anyway, as I said, was it a panic attack or a dry run? With Homeland Security asking people to be observant and vigilant, was this the kind of activity that should have been questioned? There was lots of unusual activity, at the very least. And, one point to consider, if you can train a bunch of people to fly planes into buildings, you can train them to play musical instruments.

quote:

Originally posted by street:

What!? Where in that article did you see any mention of BUSH! Her only thought was of the 9/11 event. Who hasn't flown since 9/11 without thinking is this going to happen to you some day. The terrorists are the fear mongers here not Bush. They alone are responsible for our current day fears not Bush, not Kerry not anyone else just the terrorist.

quote:

Originally posted by street:

What!? Where in that article did you see any mention of BUSH! Her only thought was of the 9/11 event. Who hasn't flown since 9/11 without thinking is this going to happen to you some day. The terrorists are the fear mongers here not Bush. They alone are responsible for our current day fears not Bush, not Kerry not anyone else just the terrorist.

quote:

answer:" the TIME LINE, by which the article is written, and the FACT, that bush has used this 9/11 fear crap throughout his ENTIRE administration, NOT WITH-STANDING, the WAR in IRAQ..... " maybe tunnel vision would have eliminated this perspective?

There will come the day,when YOU will be the one screaming, while some publicly invasive anal probe is being administered.... then what will come ,but "ENLIGHTENMENT"?.

Until then:

quote:

answer:" the TIME LINE, by which the article is written, and the FACT, that bush has used this 9/11 fear crap throughout his ENTIRE administration, NOT WITH-STANDING, the WAR in IRAQ..... " maybe tunnel vision would have eliminated this perspective?

There will come the day,when YOU will be the one screaming, while some publicly invasive anal probe is being administered.... then what will come ,but "ENLIGHTENMENT"?.

Until then:

OK... so where is the "problem" in this story. Nobody died and nobody was harmed. You asked what people were doing, they were watching and they were observing. When the plane landed these guys were greeted by what sounds like a swarm of stormtrooper types. The descriptions are very "female" if I may be sexist here. Oh I may not? Well tough.

Steve a guy takes his McDonald's bag into the bathroom and this is what grabbed you about this story? A radio personality in my town gets crap for having eaten a sandwich in the station bathroom all the time. Maybe this guy didn't want to share or offend the people sitting next to him with the stink of that poison. If I was concerned by that I would have gone into that bathroom and searched it MYSELF.

I'll tell you where the failure if any lies. If these people were afraid for their lives and genuinely concerned... to the point of believing they may be goners YOU GET UP, YOU GO BACK THERE AND YOU GET IN THE WAY. He looked at me with cold dead eyes, or whatever the hell this broad said... HONEY, go write some fiction. These poor bastards that had to listen to this yentah recount this... ugh... hijackers were probably leaving bomb materials on planes while these poor bastards were busy tending to this woman and her "harrowing" tale.

Look we all saw those planes fly into those buildings. I WOULD NOT HAVE SAT ON MY ASS. I would have gotten up... and maybe I would have been the first to get a pencil stuck in my throat for it but hey if I feel like I might die anyway BETTER TO GO OUT SWINGING. Yes the government needs to be vigilant and yes there are issues of civil liberties that are up for debate post 9/11 but this lady's STORY smacks of sensationalism.

If anything her husband is a god damn coward making her get up to go to the back of the plane. I would be embarrassed if I were him reading this. Finally he gets off his rear end and what does he do... goes and runs to another WOMAN attendant. Bravo sir.

I hate to tell you people but stopping terrorists is as much OUR responsibility as it is the government's. All of the screening in the world WILL NOT insure us of our safety. Some things fall squarely in our laps.

I went to Scotland June 7th. On my flight was a NUTTER woman, who would not turn off her phone and who while we were taxi'ing to the runway tried to show the stewardess she could open the emergency door by REACHING FOR IT. As soon as I saw the woman arguing with the stewardess my seatbelt was UNBUCKLED. When the woman got up and got in the face of the stewardess, me and three other guys were rising from our seats. That's when another man got up and put a hand on her shoulder and said, "sit down!" She then turned on him and smacked him across the face. Welp the guy put a knee in her back and another guy jumped up and said, "US AIR MARSHALLS EVERYONE SIT DOWN!" I got my ass back into my seat lickety split! But the purpose of recounting this is that there were three or more of us READY and willing to do what needed to be done. I don't care if there were 14 guys or ONE WOMAN... we didn't know if she was just a whacko or if she was creating a diversion. Luckily for us she was just a nut. I sure as hell am not going to be seen to be suspiciously looking around the cabin so that if somebody DOES act I can be the first guy they cut the throat of. The reason why civil liberties can be trampled is because people want to shluff off the responsibility for their personal safety on the government. Hmmm... guess they were never a white kid walking through Hollis Queens or for that matter a black kid walking alone through Bayside. You learn to take care of yourself.

Read about the crazy lady... see we yelled at her when she went to open door

Later

[ 07-16-2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Takvah ]