Another Democrat Bites the Dust

The conspiracy is not that McGreevey is gay, nor that he "featherbedded" (pun intended) his lover by hiring him for a job that he was not qualified for, nor even that he was associated with unscrupulous people like his top campaign donor Charles Kushner (who hired a prostitute to blackmail the leading witness against him in federal court).

The real scandal is that, like the shenanigans with the Torricelli resignation, McGreevey announced today that he would resign effective in November, after the election. Who announces their resignation now, but that it is not effective until 90 days from now? If you announce that you are resigning today, then you are considered resigned, today. Only a party that thinks it is okay to have a nominating convention this month, but not to actually accept the nomination until next month, could come up with what McGreevey is doing.

The scandal is that New Jersey law says that if the governor steps down from office beyond 60 days from the next scheduled election, then a special election for governor will be added to the upcoming election. If the governor steps down after this deadline, then the Senate President fills in the rest of the Governor's term. Currently, the most popular candidate for governor is Brent Schundler, who is a Republican. Therefore, the timing of the actual resignation is being pushed back in order to prevent the people of New Jersey from choosing their own governor. The power bosses are afraid that the people would choose Schundler, and that a special governor's election would only help George Bush in New Jersey.

You gotta hand it to those Democrats. Badda bing... badda bam!

[ 08-13-2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Steve Schacher ]

RIIIIIGHT Steve, you seem SHOCKED and HORRIFIED. You have got to be kidding me... if this was a Republican this simply wouldn't happen? Is that what you're saying? Gee... politicians playing politics. I am so disappointed. Regardless New Jersey would sadly elect a Democrat anyway... I happen to support Republican Governors although with the election fix I've had it with Jeb.

Steve, you disappoint me. You gotta hand it to the Democrats? Political favors involving sex is horrific but no bid contracts and the enriching of Cheney and Bush Sr. contacts in Halliburton and Carlyle over a WAR is good business. Priceless. McGreevey is a degenerate make no bones about it. You don't give a job like Homeland Security to a lover male or female but you also don't give contracts in the hundreds of millions to billions to your buddies while our BOYS die.

Spread that disgust man! Republicans and the military industrial complex, you gotta give em credit... badda bing badda bam!

I guess it would have been better if he had attempted to pimp his gay lover out in a sex club like that upstanding Republican senator from Illinois, Mr. Ryan. And that's a really bold political move flying Alan Keyes in from Maryland to run for office. Wasnt he the main guy who called Hillary a carpet bagger? The Republicans; Paragons of virtue!

No, it would have been better if he just resigned.

I'm talking about the power politics of resigning but not resigning. He's gaming the system in order to preserve the governorship for Democrats. You may not remember, but his was a close election with Brent Schundler a very close second. In the Senate race in 2002, Doug Forrester was beating Robert Torricelli when Torricelli quit the race.

I think the Democrat bosses in NJ squeezed McGreevey out now in order to save the governorship for Democrats.

And again I ask you, what's your point? This is politics. The Texas legislature is trying to redefine the congressional districts while they have the votes in the Texas legislature to do it. They are doing what Steve? Cementing their power? No... it can't be!

This is one of those times where I figure it's about time somebody said, F YOU. Do I think there would be any kind of a different approach by a Republican? Hell NO. You know it too so why are you sitting here arguing as if you would DEMAND that a Republican step down. If you are saying that I think you're being less than truthful.

Peace

The Texas legislature was working within the laws of the Constitution. It was the Texas Democrats who fled to neighboring states to prevent a quorum, which was against the state constitution.

The New Jersey party bosses are flouting the law. I suppose you could argue that it is McGreevey's right to resign or not resign at all and defend himself against the charges. That would be the honorable thing to do. But what he has done is agree to step down, go public and declare that he is stepping down, but then delay his stepping down in order to prevent the people of New Jersey from electing their new governor. What I don't understand is why you aren't for the right of the people of New Jersey to elect their governor instead of being stuck with an appointee for two years? Sure, the Senate President is also an elected official, but he wasn't elected for an executive role, he was elected for a legislative role. I'd think that the people of New Jersey would want a say in who their governor is.

Steve,

Give up on the little Grasshopper and the other 2, they don't get it, and don't really care.

It's those Rasally Republicans that are the bad ones, if the Democrats break the law, or keep the people from votring in a Republican it is for their own good, don't you know that.

Only those Elite Democrats can really understand what the people need.

It's a means to an end, as long as it's the Democrats doing it, it is OK.

Just don't catch a Republican doing it, or there will be hell to pay.

Although I have yet to hear of a Republican doing this.

I wonder why?

Decency to resign quickly? You guys had better do a little better with your fact checking... MMMMMM K?

Rowland was under investigation and pressure from March of 2003, LYING to the people and DENYING the charges and forcing a costly investigation and process of impeachment. By the time he had decided to resign it was JUNE of 2004. Come on guys you need to do better than this! He just dealt with what he'd done and LEFT? ROFLMAO.

The stink of corruption begins to waft 3/2003

$5 MILLION SPENT TO INVESTIGATE THIS LIAR FOR IMPEACHMENT

Finally they swear in M. Jodi Rell 7/1/04

Like I said earlier, as governor he has the option to resign or not resign and fight the charges. However, once he chooses to resign, he should leave.

Rowland denied the charges for a long time before admitting them. McGreevey could have done the same. When Rowland finally admitted fault, he resigned and left. McGreevey should (and I think will) do the same.

What's also interesting is that during the Torricelli campaign, McGreevey was the one arguing that the people had a right to a choice (even though the people did choose, just not Torricelli) when seeking to insert Lautenberg in Torricelli's place. Now, however, he seems to not want to give the people a choice.