Mr. Kerry, You asked for this

Letter went around an e-mail list and finally got to me, read it and look at the websites... interesting information

Mr. Kerry, You Asked for This

By Vincent Fiore

August 11, 2004

Vietnam veteran John O'Neil, spokesman of the organization calling itself "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth," released a devastating ad condemning Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry as being unable to "lead," and further calling him dishonest, a betrayer to his shipmates, and most devastating of all, a "liar" regarding the commission of at least one of the Purple Hearts he received. The outrage that quivered off the lips of the Kerry campaign was, understandably, filled with anger and disbelief. (website)

Calling a special press conference in May at the National Press Club in Washington, O'Neil and 25 other veterans who served with Kerry, put his campaign on notice when they released this statement:

"We resent very deeply the false war crimes charges he made coming back from Vietnam in 1971 and repeated in the book 'Tour of Duty.' We think those cast an aspersion on all those living and dead, from our unit and other units in Vietnam. We think that he knew he was lying when he made the charges, and we think that they're unsupportable. We intend to bring the truth about that to the American people.

"We believe, based on our experience with him, that he is totally unfit to be the Commander-in-Chief."

These are real tough words from tough, real, men. With the majority of vets throughout the country supporting Bush over Kerry, 58% to 35%, in this year's presidential showdown, it may look to some as if John O'Neil's group is essentially preaching to the choir with this ad. But more on that in a moment.

Or how about this gem of an ad run by Democrats in Missouri in 1998:

"When you don't vote, you let another church explode. When you don't vote, you allow another cross to burn. When you don't vote, you let another assault wound a brother or sister . . . Vote smart. Vote Democratic for Congress and the U.S. Senate." (web site)

So callousness, or smearing to some, is not new to political speech in ads. It is just "new" for Democrats to have it used against them. This "patently false" ad, as the Kerry campaign describes it in a 36-page rebuttal, has the same ring of truth to it as does Kerry's "band of brothers," heroic claims of him. When you get right down to it, it is between these two groups of honorable men who are totally opposite when viewing John Kerry. The choir they preach to is not each other, but the American electorate.

I think, though, that I am more offended by the surprised and indignant outrage of the Kerry campaign, and its liberal supporters in the media. So to those among the Democratic Party as a whole, and the media elite that look at political hardball as a one-way street, I ask you:

Did you think that Republicans and groups in favor of Bush were going to consistently wilt under your demagogic twaddle, and not fire back one day?

Did you believe that you could continuously produce such raw fiction as "9/11 Fahrenheit," and not look in the rear view mirror?

Did you expect to push countless books written by accomplished fabricators as Al Franken, Joe Wilson, and Richard Clarke, and not foresee a response headed your way?

Did you think that Democratic "527" surrogate groups like MoveOn.org and America Coming Together (ACT), would always be able to run ads that have about as much "truth" in them as a state penitentiary, and not expect payback?

Did you really think Bush supporters would just sit back and watch George Soros try to buy the election? Guess again.

John Kerry, you asked for this. You have boisterously, and ceaselessly, sought to have the American electorate judge you on your four-month stint in Vietnam in regard to your running for the highest office in the land. You have nearly omitted your last thirty years of your life in politics--as a prosecutor, a lieutenant governor for Michael Dukakis, and as the Senate's most liberal member. It is a strategy of camouflage, and a deceptive one at that.

So before anyone among the Democratic Party condemns these other war heroes who have banded together to tell a different story than the one the other "band of brothers" have been telling for months now, pause a moment in your judgment. John O'Neil and his band of brothers have as much validity, and for certain as much right, to say what they want. The only thing you have to do is listen and draw your own conclusions.

The problem here is not one of content, but possibly context. For when one looks at John Kerry's career since Vietnam, and just how he has run his campaign, it has almost been one of self-stealth. There are vast areas of his professional life that Kerry is loath to openly discuss--who he really is and just what he has done in his years in politics. When viewed in this context, you see that the charges that John O'Neil and his Swift Boaters are laying at the voter's feet are really not so outrageous at all.

Well, the people will know whom to believe. They always do.

Interesting.. looking at the swiftboat website actually gave me some more information about Kerry..

quote:

Letter went around an e-mail list and finally got to me...

and...of course, It just HAD to be posted on the BATTLECRUISER online commlink forum....

you people are amazing!!

you people don't REALLY expect anyone to continuously defend, or debate, EVERY SINGLE right-wing political attack on Kerry...DO YOU?

[ 08-13-2004, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: street ]

What's wrong Street?

SCARED that some of this is actually TRUE?

You should be, cause it just so happens that a lot of what is said is truth and can be researched if you go to the congresstional records

I am not the "OFFICIAL" director of the: " DEFEND KERRY FROM ATTACK" department. that is all.

You right-wing fanatics, are doing nothing, but attempting to post EVERY CONCEIVABLE web page you can find,which ATTACKS KERRY, onto these forums.

sorry, but there is more to life, than spending the many hours necessary, to form a rebuttle for the ONSLAUGHT of the MANY right_winged attacks you feel necessary to post on this forum.

Maybe, one of us, should search around the web, and post ALL the left wing crap, as well.

or maybe....better yet,.... We(or I) will show, just a LITTLE respect for 3000ad community, and actually DISCUSS real issues, rather than just posting, all the political RHETORIC, we(or I)can find on the web.

I do NOT fear the ILLUSION, that I am the target of ANY OTHER TERRORIST.... than those actively attempting to TERRORIZE me! :"THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION". I do NOT need to POST a political party's RHETORIC, to express MY opinions, and observed conclusiions....thankyou!!

I think it's been established that these guys have no more honor within themselves than they would themselves bestow on Kerry. A good guage of a man is how he measures others. Of course some of these guys have said one thing at one time and another at some other. Seems like your swiftboat captains are flip floppers, you might want to call them on that *snickers*. Which one of them was a shill for Nixon again?

Truth is relative Kalshion and I have never found you to be compelling when in the pursuit of it. Hey how much would it cost me to get you to do a test to see if they done did "super-em-pose" them there fellas when they were singing Kerry's praises?

Q: "Why didn't you come forward sooner about Kerry?"

A: "That was Massachusetts problem."

Wow, that answer just has the smell of honor all over it doesn't it? This man dishonored YOU but hell you'll ignore that, UNLESS OF COURSE, he runs for President.

Profound, isn't it?

If I live in Washington state, and a guy that I served with, that I loathed as an officer, and was as far as I was concerned not fit to lead a dog team, and he lived in Massechusetts, wwll, he won't effect me at all, ONLY his contituents in Mass.

When he runs for president, that is WHEN he will effect ME, and when I will get serious about stopping his political aspirations. If Mass wants to vote for him, MORE power to them, but when he runs for the MOST powerful office in the world, I dig in and fight the freak.

Poor little Grasshopper, all over it when it comes to Bush, loved that Michael Moore thing, even though it was so chalk full of nonsense, that it was insane, but when VETERANA, some with the CMOH come forward and start dumping on Kerry, you get all kinds of defensive, calling them dishonorable etc.

Well, if you are SO certain that the charges are false, convince your boy Kerry to sign the NFS 180, and release his military medical records and paperwork from his medals. He won't do it, Bush released his, how about Kerry does the same, or is Kerry at a different level, and therefore does not need to do that?

Oh, and I am still wondering about 3 purple hearts, a Silver and Bronze star, IN a FRICKING BOAT, in little more then 4 months. And if he was SO honorable, WHY didn't he stay for his FULL 12 MONTHS?

Hello Little Grasshopper!! Wake up and smell the coffee.....

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Takvah:

Truth is relative...

Sorry..wrong.

Truth is obsolute and cannot be altered, changed or re-recorded. What happens, happens. Good, Bad, Happy or Sad.

Perception, interpretation and public presentation of that Truth is a whole 'nother ball of wax...but the Truth remains what it is, was, and will be.