39M Americans in Working Poor Families

Link

quote:

By GENARO C. ARMAS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - One in every five U.S. jobs pays less than a poverty-level wage for a family of four, according to a study by the nonpartisan Working Poor Families Project.

The result of so many low-paying jobs is that nearly 39 million Americans, including 20 million children, are members of "low-income working families" ÔÇö with barely enough money to cover basic needs like housing, groceries and child care, the study found.

The study classified a "working family" as one in which there was one or more children and at least one family member had a job or was actively seeking work.

Besides staying current on bills, many of these folks also struggled to save up for a bigger home or for a child's college education, said Brandon Roberts, one of the report's authors.

"These 20 million children are the future of our workforce," Roberts said. "Their future economic abilities are at risk growing up in families that don't have the resources to support them."

The report said federal and state lawmakers should put more money into adult education and job training programs, increase the minimum wage and expand subsidized child care for low-income parents. Doing so would create more skilled workers who will make more money and, in turn, increase the tax base, the study said.

"We do not think that the current federal-state system designed to support these families is sufficient for the task," Roberts said.

The report is based on Census Bureau (news - web sites) data from 2002 and was to be officially released Tuesday, the day before the third and final debate between President Bush (news - web sites) and Democratic challenger John Kerry. That debate will focus on domestic issues, with an emphasis on jobs and the economy.

The government's poverty threshold varies depending the size of a family. For instance, a family of four with two children was considered impoverished if its income was less than $18,244 in 2002.

The study, sponsored by the Annie E. Casey, Ford and Rockefeller foundations, looked at working families with kids that earned no more than twice the poverty level. Anyone below that level was considered "low-income."

For a family of four, that threshold was $36,488. The median U.S. income for such families is $62,732.

About 28 million jobs in the United States provided less a poverty-level wage, which works out to about $8.84 an hour for a family of four, the study said. The median wage for a waiter was about $6.80 an hour; for a cashier it was $7.41 an hour.

That points to the need for the federal minimum wage to be raised from its current $5.15 an hour to ensure those in such positions can support their families, researchers said.

Besides child care, the report also suggested expansion of the federal earned income tax credit, as well as more incentives for states to offer similar refundable tax credits for such families.

The report also called on states to improve educational opportunities, such as adult education and literacy programs, for low-income workers who want to move on to higher-paying jobs.

Sheri Steisel, director of human services policy at the National Conference of State Legislatures, commended the study but said state lawmakers are hamstrung by tight budgets.

"It's not a lack of interest in the topic, but it's a question of financing," she said. "States have had to struggle on where to put their limited dollars."

The study urged federal and state lawmakers to work more closely to evaluate government policies and make better use of limited funding.

"Obviously under the current (economic) circumstances, that's going to be a very contentious issue, but we would suggest that it's a high priority issue," Roberts said.

Sorry, its not the puny little taxes. The issue is a lot more broad and complex.

90% of ALL R&D, is being conducted from foreign countries, trying to gain a competitive position, to that of the united states. Pakestan, India, Tiawan, south Korea, Japan, and various countries within the EU, are ALL actively persueing new peaks in technological advances.This is where the high tech fields are still flurishing. This is where most of the R&D development tools are sold.

Development HERE, has reached an artificial peak, and we are sure to be surpassed, in our goal, of having the most ADVANCED technology within our military, and our nation as a whole.

GOOD Engineers, are hard to find, within the United States. Most leave, to work abroad? WHY?

No R&D, ...nothing to sell....no jobs.

All of this is addressed through INTERNATIONAL trade policies...not merely lowering insignificant taxation, on companies within the united states.

No matter how many jobs bush creates, through his current practice. It will take 4 of those FULL TIME jobs, to equal ONE lost to overseas employers.

Congratulations people...Your to be EYE WITNESS, to the day America becomes a 3rd world economicly challenged country, As bush has already begun the cycle toward NATIONAL bankruptcy...dont believe me?

Ask ANY Economic profressor.

It is no mistake, that the majority of the greatest minds in the world, have rallied to remove this president.

Nice article Jamotto.

Oh and Kal,

Your Wish is our government's command...

More Corporate Tax Breaks

Want to bet that it doesn't create the influx of jobs that we so desperately need?

Instead it will fatten a few corporate bottom lines and a few more Ceo's and Cfo's will get a nice fat bonus.

All of the companie's $8.00 an hour employees will lose their jobs when the Board of Directors decide that their now untaxed capital gains could be much larger by shipping the jobs to a poor country where they only have to pay the workers $1.50 an hour.

In the mean time, everyone who lost the $8.00 an hour job gets to draw unemployment, further taxing other companies in increased unemployment insurance premiums and forcing the now jobleess families to sign up for food stamps, which will be denied because their previously reported earnings exceed the limit for getting food stamps. Then there's all of the divorced fathers who used to have a mediocre job, who can't pay their child support. Guess where they end up in our now zero tolerance society? That's right! In a prison, paid for with the lucky to still have a job people's tax dollars.

Makes ya wonder who our elected Reps are working for, don't it?

quote:

The report said federal and state lawmakers should put more money into adult education and job training programs, increase the minimum wage and expand subsidized child care for low-income parents. Doing so would create more skilled workers who will make more money and, in turn, increase the tax base, the study said.

WRONGO, on all 3 counts.

1: Adult education and Job training programs.

States should do this, NOT the federal government.

2: Increase the minimum wage

This actually decreases minimum wage jobs, and hurt low income workers, and ALWAYS has, and it HURT teens getting into the workforce. Studies have PROVEN this. Minimum wage is worse then the disease, and ALWAYS has been, The market should ALWAYS set the minimum wage, NEVER the government.

3: expand subsidized child care for low-income parents

Again, WRONGO, subsidize the parents DIRECTLY, and let them choose what they want to do, either stay home with the children until they reach school age, or send them to the daycare of their choice. BUT this is again for the states, NOT the federal government to implement.

Now, EVERY time there has been a cut in the rax on dividends etc, it has ALWAYS ADDED jobs to the economy. WHy? because people that recieve dividends do NOT hide it under their mattress, they reinvest it, this reinvestment boosts business' and creates more jobs. ALWAYS HAS, and ALWAYS will.

THis person may seem to know alot about the economy, and he knows a lot about how NOT to do things if you want an economy that works.

quote:

Originally posted by street:

Sorry, its not the puny little taxes. The issue is a lot more broad and complex.

90% of ALL R&D, is being conducted from foreign countries, trying to gain a competitive position, to that of the united states. Pakestan, India, Tiawan, south Korea, Japan, and various countries within the EU, are ALL actively persueing new peaks in technological advances.This is where the high tech fields are still flurishing. This is where most of the R&D development tools are sold.

Development HERE, has reached an artificial peak, and we are sure to be surpassed, in our goal, of having the most ADVANCED technology within our military, and our nation as a whole.

GOOD Engineers, are hard to find, within the United States. Most leave, to work abroad? WHY?

No R&D, ...nothing to sell....no jobs.

All of this is addressed through INTERNATIONAL trade policies...not merely lowering insignificant taxation, on companies within the united states.

No matter how many jobs bush creates, through his current practice. It will take 4 of those FULL TIME jobs, to equal ONE lost to overseas employers.

Congratulations people...Your to be EYE WITNESS, to the day America becomes a 3rd world economicly challenged country, As bush has already begun the cycle toward NATIONAL bankruptcy...dont believe me?

Ask ANY Economic profressor.

It is no mistake, that the majority of the greatest minds in the world, have rallied to remove this president.

OMG, where did you get that?

We still have some of the greatest and brightest engineers in the world. They do NOT go overseas, unless they are asked by the companies they work for to go and engineer an assemble line or whatever overseas.

Engineers fleeing the United States, yeah, right, sure thing.

Where do you live?

I have worked with some of the greatest manufacturers and R&D corporations in the United States, and there is NO company anywhere in the world that rivals ours.

We still have the HIGHEST technology, we still have the GREATEST R&D engineers in the world, and our products are some of the highest tech and highest quality products in the world.

THe problem is that those new products are mostly shipped overseas for production, but they are engineered HERE, they are created HERE.

If you are talking about the software side, I won't argue with you, but as far as hardware, forget it, NO ONE competes with us or even comes close. except Japan.

YOu are an electronics engineer now?

Is that right?

I have a NUMBER of friends that are engineers, and call it close to 400 that I have personally dealt with and helped in their design work.

From Fluke, to HP, to Larsen, to Intel, to Microsoft, I have parts that I helped design in, in the X-box, in DMM's and oscillascopes, printers, computers, etc.

I have worked with more Engineers then you probably even know people.

I worked in outside sales in the electronics industry, including defense, consumers, high tech, and other industries for over 12 years, national sales manager for one parts company.

So yes, I am positive that I know far more about the ACTUAL design process and design engineers then you do, and have interacted with FAR more of them then you ever thought to.

quote:

uh...yeah...right. what ever you say dude

You claim to know so much, yet you know so little.

It really is quite amusing.

My resume is quite substantial in the electronics industry, and my name is well known throughout the electronics industry in the Northwest, and western Canada.

I find your amusement hysterical.....

I have been the NW regional sales manager for numerous electronics parts manufacturers, distributors, and reps, I have been the national sales manager for a transformer company, as well as the international Sales manager for a crystal manufacturer.

I have helped in the design process for the USB connector, Super high density electronics connectors for up to 2 Ghz with Fujitsu corporation out of Japan. I helped an engineer in the creation of specialty parts for the Mars Rover, as well as defense projects.

I have helped in the creation of specialty connectors for the DSLAM, which allows digital Internet and analog telephone over the same lines and through the same machine in a telephone switching station. Fujitsu is building these machines in Japan, and has sold close to a million of them. EACH one of those machines has 4 of my connectors, and 4 of my cable assemblies, that I designed in via the engineer that helped design the DSLAM machine.

I knew about the X-box before it was the X-box, and helped 2 engineers on the connectors etc on the inside of the box, and those connectors are still being bought and used.

I helped in the design and spec in of LED's that have since been used in stop lights, and helped in the testing and acceptance by traffic safety control boards throughout the country, for use in stoplights, tail lights of trucks etc.

I have done HUNDREDS of designs with hundreds of design engineers around the Northwest and the world, and yes, I am VERY well known in the electronics industry.

I quit because I got tired of working my ass off, and getting little or no return from the companies that I was working for.

quote:

I have heard of people who are experienced in multiple fields (my brother for example, infact you might know him Jag)

So it's not impossible really

I choose to believe that which is probable, over that which is possible, thank you.

each of you are free to believe what you choose. I choose to remain pragmatic, concerning the claims.

pragmatic -- (guided by practical experience and observation rather than theory)

Wow, was that supposed to be a zinger?

Poor Street, one of these days they will find you a sense of humor.

In the meantime, keep practicing......

You most definitely need it....

GROW UP jaguar!!

quote:

Thoery began reality street, don't forget. Most of the technology's that we have where once considered a Thoery or a wish..

Kalshion, i understand that, but I have been in this field for a long time...and I speak daily with engineers around the world(including the north east) it IS a very small world, within this field, but not near as limited as jaquar suposes.

I see rediculous resumes everyday, and take them all with a grain of salt. Frankly, I find it hard to vbelieve, a man around 30 years of age, knows more about EVERYTHING, tha ANYONE ELSE.

I have a younger brother, who incidently suffers from the same self delusions of grandieur...one of the reasons, my patience, with this kid, has been so short.

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

I have heard of people who are experienced in multiple fields (my brother for example, infact you might know him Jag)

So it's not impossible really

If I listed all the things that I have done, or been involved with, or know how to do, or studied, we would be here all day long and write a fricking book.

My main problem is that I get bored rather quickly with something, and want to move onto something new.

I have done everything from mowing lawns, to working on the design of digital communications systems and defense projects.

I have built homes, inspected homes, installed top secret communications gear, built and installed CB radios, sold electronic components, started my own rep firm, ran the sales department for electronic manufacturers, did technical specification drawings for manufacturers, 2nd source technician, purchasing agent, outside sales, national outside sales, and things that I can't even talk about.

I have so many skills that I have 6 different resumes, all that push one of the special skills that I have.

I have applied to be the net control officer at a gunnery range for the Army, I have applied as the communications tech for the police, I have applied for the international Sales manager of an electronics company, I have applied as a building inspector for different city jurisdictions, I have applied as the apartment manager for property management companies. And I have interviewed and refused most of them, mainly because a job that I actually want has come along first.

I have a Ham radio license, am working on a general Radio telephone operator license, I am a cerified Home Inspector, a certified claims arbitrator, I have won numerous national and regional sales awards, I am an ICC certified building inspector, if I wanted I could easily qualify as a journeyman electrician, I have held numerous security clearances, clear up to CTS, I have worked with numerous weapons systems, I am a certified communications systems technician, as well as operator. I am taking 2 online courses right now, one in astronomy, the other in History, I am working on 2 correspondents courses, one on commercial building inspection, and another on marketing and business developement.

The question is NOT what have I done, the question is, what haven't I done or willing to try and do.

Specialization is for insects.

I like to push my limits, the problem is that I have yet to find my limits. I am interested in EVERYTHING, so it is awfully hard to specialize in one particular thing. I know a LOT about a few things, and know a bit about a LOT of things.

Oh, and I run my own business, I am a home inspector, Maintenance contractor, and claims arbitrator, I also own and run 4 different websites, help out 4 others, and help my wife on her own online business.

quote:

GROW UP jaguar!!

quote:

Thoery began reality street, don't forget. Most of the technology's that we have where once considered a Thoery or a wish..

Kalshion, i understand that, but I have been in this field for a long time...and I speak daily with engineers around the world(including the north east) it IS a very small world, within this field, but not near as limited as jaquar suposes.

I see rediculous resumes everyday, and take them all with a grain of salt. Frankly, I find it hard to vbelieve, a man around 30 years of age, knows more about EVERYTHING, tha ANYONE ELSE.

I have a younger brother, who incidently suffers from the same self delusions of grandieur...one of the reasons, my patience, with this kid, has been so short.

BTW old man, I will be 40 come next year, so please, get a grip on reality.....

You ever talked to a man named Scott Dean? Perhaps Larry Weinberg? Maybe you have discussed RF theory with a Dr Chandler? Perhaps?

If you haven't heard of any of them, then you are not as far into the industry as you think you are.

How about Roger Stark? Perhaps you know that name?

Please Street, I have worked and dealt with HUNDREDS of design engineers, be they electronic engineers, mechanical engineers, etc.

I worked on the wireless modems for Sierra Wireless, then connectors in the modem are mine.

Ever used a Fluke DMM, the wires and leads were ALL mine at one time, when I was the rep for Mueller. You've heard of Mueller, have you not?

Perhaps you've heard of JST, I was their NW rep, perhaps Honda Comnnector, I was the western regional sales manager.

Kingbright, I was thier NW regional sales rep, how about LEDtronics? I helped them design and spec in their LED's for traffic signals and other transportation applications.

Need me to name drop some more, I can...

ROFLMAO!!

30 year old kid, I don't know whether to laugh or to say thank you....

quote:

BTW old man, I will be 40 come next year, so please, get a grip on reality.....

OK, tell me agaian, how you served in vietnam. Seeing how it was terminated, in 1972 and full withdraw, by 1974, which just happens to be when I was 14 years old, and I am now 45

Just curious