WAL-MART LAWSUIT

Certainly a tragic event, difficult to place any blame on something like this. But, if they lose the case I am sure Michael Moore will have all he needs for another movie about how guns are ruining the planet.

Their is a lady in our town, and her son comitted suicide by hanging himself. He was 21 years old. No rope company was sued, she just buried him and is now trying to cope with the grief of it all.

Money is not going to make it right--but I guess we all have to blame someone, huh?

rvs

In my opinion, the company should be the ones targetted for this. It is thier fault they did not check for age, and permission.

But it is also the girl's fault for presenting herself for it. Sadly, she said that she wanted to be an active member in the church? Well.. great start..."

But where do we draw the line? Could she not have cut her wrists with a Finnish filet knife? Could she not have swallowed a lethal dose of aspirin? Or drain cleaner? Or held a propane tank on the stove burner until it burst in her face, perhaps killing her?

There are as many ways to kill oneself as there are people wanting to do it.

Perhaps Wal Mart should not have sold her the shotgun, but I suspect they were within the limits of the law--poor as it may or may not be. But if we cannot start taking responsibility for our actions--and suicide is a very personal matter--then what next? Will we get an assigned Lawyer the day we are born, much like we all get Social Security numbers? (In America on the social security numbers)

rvs

quote:

Originally posted by rvs:

Perhaps Wal Mart should not have sold her the shotgun, but I suspect they were within the limits of the law--poor as it may or may not be. But if we cannot start taking responsibility for our actions--and suicide is a very personal matter--then what next? Will we get an assigned Lawyer the day we are born, much like we all get Social Security numbers? (In America on the social security numbers)

rvs

I agree. If Walmart had been able to check her records and see that she had a history of mental illness and decided not to sell her the gun, I am sure that Walmart would have had the girl and her lawyer coming at them with some sort of discrimination suit instead of this one.

Wouldn't it be better for the mother to lobby for changes to the privacy laws regarding mental illness when it comes to purchasing weapons?

Misguided and inappropriate if you ask me. Though I suppose she'll get something out of Wal-Mart for the shear guilt factor. I suppose even grief has a price.

What I would like to know is if "Stewart, who had been involuntarily committed to an institution and declared dangerously mentally ill by a judge....", what the hell was she doing being out in the public at large. It's just sheer chance that she took her own life and not others with her.

Another Darwin contender.

She punched her own ticket, deal with it Mommy.

Maybe you should have been a better mother, and maybe she wouldn't have bought the shotgun and blown her worthless brains out.

Yeah, I'm crass, but this kind of stupidity pisses me off, now she is suing the store for selling her the shotgun?

Maybe the state ought to sue her for not living up to her parental resonsibilities.....

It becomes more and more odd every day.The questions raised in my mind are this,

1. What gives a parent the right to sue someone on behalf of a fully grown child?

Even though the young lady had a history of mental illness, she was still over the age of 21 and was left in control of her own life. Mentally ill people can not be forced into a hospital unless they give their consent or present clear evidence that they are a danger to themselves or a public menace. Sadly, the public menace part is not manifested until someone is hurt, or worse, killed.

Apparently her illness became more than she could bear and the method of exit is moot, If not a Shotgun from the Wal-Mart Sporting goods Department, it would have been something else.

I guess her momma was just pissed because of the mess she had to clean up.