Drowning Men Fight Off Ted Kennedy, Live...

Guest $iLk

So, the title of an article IS:

"Sen. Edward Kennedy Helps Rescue Fishermen"

content of an article is THIS:

"Kennedy and a friend tried to rescue the men using a 13-foot boat but rough waters forced them back. "

He helped, huh. Yeah

" Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty? "

~ Senator Ted Kennedy, 1973

- Chappaquiddick has been called "the most brilliant cover-up ever achieved in a nation where investigative procedures are well developed and where the principles of equal justice prevail, at least during some of those moments where people are watching."

~ The Last Kennedy by Robert Sherrill

http://www.ytedk.com/intro.htm

quote:

Originally posted by nomad:

Soback:

If your comment is consistent with your mentality, then you wil agree with this:

You spend 3000$ of your hard earned money on a solitaire and offer it to your girlfriend. She performs a gemological expertise and says: "it's moissanite, your present bears no value for me whatsoever".

LMAO...

Was that supposed to make sense? it lost something in the translation...

Lets try it again Nomad. And since you are so fond of defining things

Defenition for Help

"To give assistance to; aid"

---Did he assist? No. Did he aid? No.

"To contribute to the furtherance of; promote. "

---Did he contribute to the rescue? No. Did his presence in the boat away from where the men were further the rescue efforts? No.

"To give relief to"

---Did he relief the men that were trapped, did he bring them supplies, or food, or water? No

"To change for the better; improve"

---Did he change their situation for the better, did he improve it? No

So Nomad. HOW did he help in your opinion?

The only thing I will give the guy, is actually ATEMPTING to help. NOT helping. See the difference?

Defenition of attempt

"To make an attempt to do or make"

---Did he make an ATTEMPT at help? Yes. Did he succeed, No.

"A trying to do or make something"

--- Did he TRY to resque the men? Yes. Did he succeed, No.

The headline, is the typical of todays "journalism". It's a blatant, in your face, lie. They however, hope that all that sticks in your head when you are done, is the headline, without the content, or to influence the people even before they start reading, to think that he actually helped.

So, anyhow. Lets try it again, Nomad. HOW did he help in your opinion? And since you TRIED to make a crack at value. What value to the trapped men was his failed attempt at help, if any?

LOL,thats taking "the end justifies the means" to a whole new level.

There are things one cannot control or foresee at a given time.The affects of such things on human life are called "chance".Assuming this:"Kennedy and a friend tried to rescue the men using a 13-foot boat but rough waters forced them back. " is true,then the guy probably couldnt (at the time) know that rough water would make his rescue attempt impossible.He saw a chance and tried to help.He gave the drowning men a chance,thats the value of his failed attempt at rescuing them.The SAME actions would save lives in other circumstances.Thats the value..

Yes, the title was slightly misleading. It should have said "Sen. Edward Kennedy Tried Help Rescue Fishermen" (the boat length and rough waters part is unnecessary for the title in my opinion). However it dosn't specify if he alerted the authorities (and this would be important in that, if he did, they might have died otherwise).

On a related note, what the heck does this thread title have to do with the news article.

Wolfheart, helped and tried to help is a BIG difference. The firefighters deserve recognition for ACTUALLY RESCUING those men, NOT Kennedy, yet the whole article is about how he TRIED and failed, and the firefighters getting a one liner.

The only reason the article says Kennedy HELPED, is because he is a big shot. Would it have been anyone else, they wouldn't even get a line in that article for their attempt, let a lone a headline that is a blatant lie. You have to earn recognition and respect based on your actions, not your last name or what you have failed at.

So, like I said, that reporter might as well have been saying that some guy from China who was heading out this way helped rescue those men, he just failed to get there in time.

He actually did help, even though he wasn't the one that rescued them in the end. If someone is lost in the mountains and I go up with 200 other people to search for them, if they are found by someone else I still did help, even though it wasn't me who found them.

I agree, though, that the article was biased and gave Kennedy far more credit than he deserved.

quote:

Originally posted by Aperson:

On a related note, what the heck does this thread title have to do with the news article.

Just that Teddy is despised by an awful lot of people. I think he must have stolen some money from them sometime or maybe he just dated their sisters. It's gotta be something like that.

quote:

Originally posted by Matchoo:

He actually did help, even though he wasn't the one that rescued them in the end. If someone is lost in the mountains and I go up with 200 other people to search for them, if they are found by someone else I still did help, even though it wasn't me who found them.

I agree, though, that the article was biased and gave Kennedy far more credit than he deserved.

Read the defenition of help again. It's in my post above.

If you go up into the mountains with a search group, you are assisting, and therefore helping.

If you go up into the mountains with a search group, then realize it's too rough and your group turns back, and then another party goes up and finds the lost people. You didn't help. You ATTEMPTED (defined above too) to help. In which case, your name shouldn't even be in the article, let alone in the headline saying you helped, and describing how you failed at it.

I guess saying "Heroic firefighters rescue trapped men" and then describing the rescue instead of Kennedys failed attempt will provoke an alergic reaction to truth in that reporter.

[ 10-19-2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Soback ]

quote:

You have to earn recognition and respect based on your actions

I absolutely agree with you here,I also agree that the firefighters deserve recognition.

But this guy isnt a firefighter(he didnt take any training to handle such situations) yet he still tried to help.I think that also deserves recognition.

quote:

Would it have been anyone else, they wouldn't even get a line in that article for their attempt

Thats one of the problems of current societies.Im not so fond of this fact,either;but we shouldnt jump to the other extreme as a reaction to this(saying "celebrities have red skin and horns!!! They eat children!!!" doesnt help).

quote:

If Teddy would have died during this salvaging attempt, he would now be honored as an hero, despite the fact that his action was obviously ineffective.

Well, to me, if he would have died then I would say justice had finally been done after all of these years. Disgraceful.