9/11 - Govt. Coverup?

Again, I have to say, I agree to a point. Like it or not, we as a country are oil whores. The middle east is more important than for just spreading democracy to. If we began mass-producing an alternative energy source infrastructure today, we would still be oil-dependent for at least ten more years by my estimation.

I still believe the MOST important benefit of the war in Iraq is through planting the seed of freedom there, however painful initially, we are helping our own future through the forced obsolecence of terrorism. A democratic republic nation , at least in theory,will :

A) Cause freedom to manifest itself in all facets of national life and become a contagion that spreads throughout a region

B) Virtually eliminate the perceived need for violent insurgency - grass roots efforts to elect a new government will almost always be a better solution than a bloody coup.

C) Cause the virtual elimination of terrorist breeding grounds through a massive shift in national and international paradigms and perceptions. Once citizens have a sense of their own sovereignty, terrorism can do nothing but die out.

Needless to say, and in fact it has often times been painfully evident, that things never work as well or go as smoothly in real life as they do 'in theory', but dammit, you've got to try.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest $iLk

I believe we could bankrupt the country trying to end terrorism and we'd only make a dent.

Smarter policies need to be in place... ones that don't include an open border.

About the border - I couldn't agree more.

As far as 'ending' terrorism (a complete abolishment is an utter impossibility - I'm talking about the largest mitigation possible of the threat on a national scale) --- Probably wouldn't happen in our grandkids' lifetime. But the biggest task has to have a beginning if it's going to have an end.

Not saying Bush is even CLOSE to Reagan, but 'Ronaldus Magnus' was very used to hearing communism couldn't be defeated either during his administration.

Guest $iLk

It wasn't... you can't defeat an idea - and quite a few in this country are still working towards implementing the closest thing to communism they can get through either the legislature or the courts.

Latin America disagrees also... we've lost several countries to communism since Reagan left office... we lost one two days ago in terms of it nationalizing it's economy.

The Russian Federation has all but returned to Soviet policy in it's domestic practices. Apparently people still think highly of the idea.

quote:

It wasn't... you can't defeat an idea ...

Precisely. So Reagan did the next best thing - he defeated the world's largest communist regime in a war of wills. Communism was reduced from a very real and scary threat to a nuisance. China has remained very strong, but there are many different factors involved. At the risk of oversimplifying the issue, China prospers in spite of communism, not because of it.

As far as 'commies' in the legisature, I can only say that our system inheritantly precludes the possibility of communist ideology from warping the principles of the Republic. If communist ideals are being forwarded, and not immediately defeated, then one or more of the 3 branches of our government are not doing their jobs and it's time for a change.

I for one think this Congress is the biggest bunch of scaredy do-nothings I've seen in a while. ALL of their butts ought to be voted out.

Guest $iLk

I agree with pretty much everything you said there. Although I find it tragic that promoting economic freedom in the People's Republic has led to a strengthening, and not a weakening, of the regime.

It was hoped that economic freedom would lead to political freedom. Capitalism has become perverted in this country.

Don't think it's alive to be honest Judge, as I haven't heard any mention of it while out in public (mall, schools, air port, such like that) and since I'm a people watcher and listener I hear A LOT of stuff each day, but have yet to hear this

If there are talk about it it's amongst a very small group of people