RIAA Has Bascially Shut Down YouTube

dude those are just cease and desist letters (aka corporate smoke and mirrors) sent on a user basis. most of the clips are still around. the RIAA is big on talk but rarely gets a breakthrough , let alone something that big.

quote:

Originally posted by RedComet:

dude those are just cease and desist letters (aka corporate smoke and mirrors) sent on a user basis. most of the clips are still around. the RIAA is big on talk but rarely gets a breakthrough , let alone something that big.

Big on talk? Didn't they shut down Napster? They have MILLIONS of dollars in lawsuits pending against individuals, even charging HUNDREDS of dollars PER SONG to PARENTS of teenagers who downloaded music. Some tabs are as high as hundreds of thousands of dollars. They ARE offering to settle for something in the range of five grand in most cases, but that's still WAY OVER market value.

While I agree with protecting your copyrighted material, I personally think the RIAA has gone WAY TOO FAR.

All they did is change the way filesharing works nowadays. Napster hosted the files on their servers in huge quantity making them an easy target.

The more popular methods nowadays such as bittorrent are decentralized. Hence you'd have to attack the userbase on a personal level and with sites like the piratebay having a million users per day that would be logistically impossible.

Also the number of cases they did follow through with (not settled via bully tactics) are still too slim but yes it's a scary trend. Don't they teach flexiability at business school or something? Holding a customer at gunpoint (which seems like what the RIAA does) won't get him to buy the goods.

Edit: What's more sickening is what they did to mysongbook.com. Now their claiming tabs made by users of commerical songs are an infringment because "they sound like the originals" lol wtf? I guess now if someone hums the song on the street he should pay royalities (or something).