North Korean Missile Crisis

Im sure this is no new news but Ive found it rather carce in the media about the North Korean nuclear weapons tests, etc...

Nuclear Crisis

Real Present Danger

Its disturbing news to hear that a power hungry dictator does have nuclear weapons.

Thoughts/ reactions...?

NK has nukes yes.

But it has big bad china next door. A china that would love to have any excuse to invade and take over. NK has no support left from its commie luv'in days.

Its sad but this crazy dictator is simply pimping the international community to keep himself in power.

Without foreign aid NK has no economy. Without his nukes he has no foreign aid (at least while the dictator is in power). Without an economy he cannot remain in power.

Therefore to gain foreign aid he needs to keep waving the nukes around so he keeps receiving the foreign aid. Things like this increase in the missile's range and advertising the test has gotten NK exactly what it wanted: The international community all worried up and READY to send more cash his way.

I would only worry about NK when their nutty leader dies/gets killed or when he is so old he may really start doing crazy & stupid stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Black Ghost:

Its disturbing news to hear that a power hungry dictator does have nuclear weapons.

Thoughts/ reactions...?

I just LedMAO because that that preceeding quote is almost best sarcasm I've ever read. I dunno if you meant it that way tho

Then being serious again: I have a real story to tell and I think that many of you didn't knew it previously:

It was 1939 in wintery Finland. People around the country heard disturping radio message telling that Finland had attacked Soviet Union by opening gunfire at the eastern border. Finnish officials offered to research the matter together with Soviet officials, but Soviets retracted the non-aggression pact with Finland and tried invade it right after.

53 years later, after sorrowful events of world war II in europe and winter war between soviets and Finland, Russian president Boris Jeltsin finally admits that it was Soviets themselves that shot their own soldiers with their own guns for pretext to conquer Finland and to make Finland appear as aggressor in eyes of other nations.

This story is harder to find in english, but you can try if you want by googling 'shots of Mainila'.

The lesson of the story is: Learn from the past. And what makes this story credible, is that the evil-doer in this case was former Soviet Union. But it couldn't be United States.. Right?

-v

I know the story well. I bought "Winter War" on a recommendation from some miltary buddie from www.belleandblade.com (great website, FANTASTIC movie) and that peaked my interest to learn as much as I could about the Russo-Finnish war.

I do not, however, get what you're hinting at. At all. Could you possibly spell it out for us thick-headed people? Surely you're not saying there's an equivalency between the Russo-Finnish events and the U.S. and Iraq or Korea? I hope I am mistaken, for that would indeed be a hopelessly ridiculous comparison.

There's no real crisis. Korea is too poor to start any real conflict with the US. The communist leaders are just trying to flex some muscles from the days of "old glory".

What's troubling about it is the fact that while the north korean peoples are starving the leaders are busy with useless show-off weapons

Maybe we should send them a copy of the WOPR movie.

Nobody wins in a nuclear war. Least of all North Korea. Kim jong must be a scared little rabbit to think he needs a nuclear arsenal to protect his little jerkwater country, that isn't worth spitting on, much less wasting a perfectly good nuke on.

quote:

Originally posted by Prez:

I know the story well. I bought "Winter War" on a recommendation from some miltary buddie from
(great website, FANTASTIC movie) and that peaked my interest to learn as much as I could about the Russo-Finnish war.

I do not, however, get what you're hinting at. At all. Could you possibly spell it out for us thick-headed people? Surely you're not saying there's an equivalency between the Russo-Finnish events and the U.S. and Iraq or Korea? I hope I am mistaken, for that would indeed be a hopelessly ridiculous comparison.

You know me, I usually make ridicule comparisons

To be serious I'm not making exactly a comparison, but merely pointing out the possibility. Nothing have happened yet, but if NK were to launch a test missile(parts of their previous test missile were found in alaska, at least media claims so), US could shoot it down. Well, that could actually lead to war. Hopefully not, but it could

-v

Here's my take. The public announcement of the U.S. intentions to shoot down any missile fired by Korea is a calculated play on our part. The North Koreans, ever-paranoid, mull their options for months, and eventually the fear of being humiliated on the world stage by having their first ICBM test shot out of the sky will drive them back into their hidey hole for another year. Or at least until Psycho-boy decides he's not getting enough attention again.

"just LedMAO because that that preceeding quote is almost best sarcasm I've ever read. I dunno if you meant it that way tho"

Sarcasm.

And yes, while its just North Korea, they are quite a threat, even though their nukes would never make it here if they tried and they probably wouldnt make it three days in a war. But for a crazy guy, it only takes one Dr. Evil momement to shoot off a few ICBMs and blow up a dozen cities, here or is other countries. So...

This is nothing more then Kim Jong Il, trying to suck money out of the 1st world countries that he is trying to scare.

Every time he pulls this garbage, we pay him off, until he's broke again, because his economy is unsustainable.

So we give him money, he plays little dictator, then when he runs out of money, he raises hell, then we give him money, and when it runs out, he raises hell, and so on and so forth.

It is extortion pure and simple, and we need to quit playing and let the little pissant country collapse, and watch the citizens kill the little tinpot midget, then we go in and help them.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

This is nothing more then Kim Jong Il, trying to suck money out of the 1st world countries that he is trying to scare.

Every time he pulls this garbage, we pay him off, until he's broke again, because his economy is unsustainable.

So we give him money, he plays little dictator, then when he runs out of money, he raises hell, then we give him money, and when it runs out, he raises hell, and so on and so forth.

It is extortion pure and simple, and we need to quit playing and let the little pissant country collapse, and watch the citizens kill the little tinpot midget, then we go in and help them.

I agree. Kim Jong Il is playing a game of squeaky wheel, and the squeemish UN and the US always seems to play along.

The problem is (at least from my point-of-view), the liberals are the one with the right solution to this: blow that missile the hell up.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

That could be. I think that madman just built world largest hotel or something.. I bet there be lot of tourists in that!

-v

Well if his success rate for nuclear warhead detonation is about as great as his success rate for ICBM launches we don't have much to worry about.

/cynical/

I give it a 25% chance of lasting greater than 35 seconds of flight with another 25% chance of the warhead actually going off. The odds are greater that it'll launch and detonate over his silo and him blaming us than us actually needing to shoot down the missile.

And he thought we would look like idiots, shows how well they can put together a missile!

Although he probably has like 80 more of them all ready to fire -silence.... I say we're in need of a little friendly neighbor-to-neighbor bombing run? Whadda you think?

Good Morning America really seemed to be rubbing the little bastages' nose in the failure this morning, and not just the test failure either.

They showed an orbital shot of the Korean peninsula, highlighting the south, then the north. South Korea was lit up like a Christmas tree. North Korea, however, was black as the night they're shivering in.

I ain't skeered of that nutjob.

The West - nor the US - can't do ANYTHING without China, Japan and Russia on board.

The issue this: Who is responsible for that little prick having an arsenal to begin with? Thats right. All the people he is currently blackmailing. Its not like scientists leave his country, go somewhere to learn all this shit; then happily return home to share their acquired knowledge.

As to the test failure. That just goes to show that not every instruction sheet found on Google will work or is credible.

That prick. Someone just needs to send a GPS guided bomb and bury his ass. Both Iran and NK are doing the same shit; so I won't be surprised if they were'nt comparing notes.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

That prick. Someone just needs to send a GPS guided bomb and bury his ass. Both Iran and NK are doing the same shit; so I won't be surprised if they were'nt comparing notes.

Actually a MOAB in each location where we think he could be would pretty much guarantee his death. I'd just as well screw worrying about collateral damage; it can't be any worse than he's already done to the damn country.

I do believe its been confirmed that Iran and NK are in this together. Iran supplied parts for both the Taepodong I and II missiles.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

The West - nor the US - can't do ANYTHING without China, Japan and Russia on board.

The issue this: Who is responsible for that little prick having an arsenal to begin with? Thats right. All the people he is currently blackmailing. Its not like scientists leave his country, go somewhere to learn all this shit; then happily return home to share their acquired knowledge.

As to the test failure. That just goes to show that not every instruction sheet found on Google will work or is credible.

I knew you'd eventually think Republican.