The Murder of Children and the Failure of Liberalism

So there I was, having a good day, getting ready to go on vacation tomorrow to see my wife and kids after a month, and I see this NEWS STORY.

All of the anger, no, make that seething rage, I had felt at the finding of this little girl came back with a vengeance. Am I mad that the confession was thrown out? Sure, but the judge apparently had to because a vital legal rule was violated. What REALLY has me enraged is that this piece of human excrememt is still breathing the same air as I am.

You know how the police knew to go look for this guy after Jessica disappeared? He's on a registered sex offender list. WHY THE HELL WAS HE STILL ALIVE? Jessica was murdered as brutally and horrifically as you can imagine by a man who any sane society would have killed years ago. Let me quote how she was found to remind everyone:

quote:

Jessica was found kneeling and clutching a stuffed animal, hands tied with speaker wire and fingers poking through the garbage bags in which she was buried alive in February 2005.

Nice huh? Only a person who is impregnated with the evil of Satan himself would do this to a child. And yet, knowing what kind of monster he is, we not only let him continue to live, we allowed him and others like him to live in the same neighborhoods as our children. As a "registered sex offender". That no one who lived there knew about. Oh, because the man has right to privacy, right? Well Dammit, Jessica's life was more precious than this scumbag's privacy in my book. And we DARE call this a "civilized society"? How DARE we?!?!? What kind of civilized society allows its children to become victims of monsters like these?

A society suffering from the disease of rampant liberalism, that's what kind. All due respect to my liberal friends, but behold what your idealology has wrought upon our society. The poison of liberalism has given us a system where the perpetrators of heinous crimes are given more sympathy and rights than their victims. We have to try to "understand" what drives these animals; we have to look at their childhood and say, "Oh, but he was abused - poor guy."

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know many people who were abused as children who would never, EVER think of doing something awful like this. Liberalism has bred highbrow elitist judges who rule in favor of sex offenders at every turn, under the guise of being "compassionate" and "understanding". Being "compassionate" and "understanding" makes you sophisticated and elite, dontcha know? Liberalism has us feeling sorry for people who sexually abuse children, and wants us to believe they can be rehabilitated. THEY CAN'T!!!! There is only one way to deal with these disgusting predators - immediate death upon conviction. Or would you like it to be you daughter or son who is murdered in this fashion next?

I don't care about ANYTHING more than the safety of my children. And the thought of people in this country doing everything in their power to protect the devils who want to screw them, abuse them, and murder them makes my blood boil. How can any parent NOT be absolutely enraged at what has happened? Look at all the beautiful children who meet horrific, untimely ends in the name of "compassion".

Bah, I'm too disgusted to keep going. Later.

It's not the first time my friend, not the first time. Take a look at this little ditty:

Teen Slain At McDonald's In Vancouver, Wash.

quote:

28-year-old David Barton Sullivan made his first appearance in Clark County Superior Court Friday. He was ordered held without bail for investigation of murder. He'll be arraigned next Friday. Police say Sullivan is a sex offender with a history of mental illness.

*snip*..........................

A defense lawyer appointed to represent Sullivan says he had pleaded guilty to unlawful imprisonment with sexual motivation in 2003 for trying to kidnap a 14-year-old girl in Vancouver. He was sent to Western State Hospital, treated for paranoid schizophrenia and found competent to stand trial. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail.

Meanwhile they give 15 year sentences to people who steal booze. Something is desperately broken with this system of ours.

Here's the poor girls tribute page: Anna Svidersky She moved here with her parents from Russia only to end up like this.

The government can't figure out why no one wants these people living anywhere near them. In their eyes, they've served their time and so be allowed to go wherever they want.

I'm right there with you on this one Prez. I do not believe murderers or sex offenders can be rehabilitated and there should be no second chances. I believe these are situations where once the line has been crossed there's no going back. And I'm not talking just about sexual abuse, beating a child should be treated just as harshly.

While I do believe that childhood abuse does play a part it is not a justification. If our laws allowed for locking them up and throwing away the key then they wouldn't be able to create the next generation of abusers. This may not erradicate the problem, but it would stop the self perpetuating cycle.

quote:

Meanwhile they give 15 year sentences to people who steal booze. Something is desperately broken with this system of ours.

That is EXACTLY where I was planning to go with that thread when I got around to it.

Prez, you're completely right. What kind of society have we become when we regularly show BLATANT disregard for justice for no other reason than procedural slip-ups? Have we become so attached to our systematic procuduralism that we've forgotten the meaning of it all? At what point did our judiciary stop serving justice and start merely serving itself?

Think about it this way: We've all, probably at some point, praised the forefathers of this nation for their foresight in creating the world's most effective system of government (co-equal branches, checks and balances, etc.). Back then, however, no one would have been able to commit such a sick crime and be able to get off on a technicality. Why? Because, then, they understood that the purpose of such technicalities is to facilitate the service of justice. It's ironic that such technicalities that were once in service of justice are now merely in the service of themselves.

If we really want to fix this system, we need to go back to a mentality that says that the spirit and purpose of the law is what matters; not just the pen-and-paper dictation of it. And, we need to find a judiciary that understands that technicalities exist in service to the greater good. When they fail to serve their purpose, they need to be summarily ignored.

Those who are convicted have plenty of chances to prove their innocence at appeal. Let's not use are own laws to give the guilty a cloak of innocence any longer.

Lost:

I know it's not the first, but every new story cuts me deeply and painfully. I mean, is there a parent out there who, upon hearing something like this happening, doesn't put themselves in the shoes of the poor parents of the slain child? The thought of this happening to my children is so upsetting it makes me feel like crying. I don't know how these parents can find the strength to go on. I for one would be so distraught I could possibly contemplate suicide or murder(wouldn't happen though, seeing as how the rest of my family would be depending on me). Surely this must come close to being more than anyone can bear. And the fact that it is preventable... GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Grizzle:

quote:

While I do believe that childhood abuse does play a part it is not a justification. If our laws allowed for locking them up and throwing away the key then they wouldn't be able to create the next generation of abusers. This may not erradicate the problem, but it would stop the self perpetuating cycle.

EXACTLY! You said that about as perfectly as it can be stated.

Guest $iLk

There was a study released recently where released sexual offenders have the lowest repeat crime rates of any other class of convicts.

The emotional response exhibited by those of us abhorred by their behavior is precisely the reason why the same laws apply to them that apply to everyone else.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

There was a study released recently where released sexual offenders have the lowest repeat crime rates of any other class of convicts.

The emotional response exhibited by those of us abhorred by their behavior is precisely the reason why the same laws apply to them that apply to everyone else.

Nice try distorting the facts.

Your "point":

quote:

Sex offenders were less likely than non-sex offenders to be rearrested for any offense ÔÇôÔÇô 43 percent of sex offenders versus 68 percent of non-sex offenders.

Whoop-dee-do. So a sex offender goes on to rob a store or steal a car. Or get into a bar brawl.

Here's the study: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/press/rsorp94pr.htm

My point:

quote:

But sex offenders were about four times more likely than non-sex offenders to be arrested for another sex crime after their discharge from prison ÔÇôÔÇô 5.3 percent of sex offenders versus 1.3 percent of non-sex offenders.

Let's just say, as a parent, I'd rather take my chances on those who DON'T commit sex crimes.

[ 07-02-2006, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: aramike ]